Maps

Started by Desertfox, March 01, 2007, 05:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl822

NB, I'll jack this in unless I get some form of reasonable empire, as at the moment that British Empire is 4th Rate. I was very happy with what I initially drew, especially as I intend to play it with a tight Government in tow.

Ithekro

I actually don't know which UK(A) is suppose to be here anymore.  There were a lot of opinions on that and various maps have variations of it.

Earl822

The one I drew is the concept I like also swampys latest map still showed it minus Sinai.

I think it is also reasonable to say that the more nations we have, the greater the population, and the greater the number of warships, and resulting international disagreements and resulting wars. To have 5 nations based in North America would be asking for war, by allowing France, and another small empire to maintain colonies there would allow for a greater balance of power.

Ithekro

Well it is looking like Rohan might not be on North America anymore (at least at this time...older Rohan might be a colony/New Beleriand..but that hasn't been decided), which means that the UKA could I suppose move westward.  If I pull Rohan out, I'll need to reorder the Haven to make the various incidents and treaties make sense, but you could probably get around it to the north (and play with the Swiss again),  The Eastern Kingdom might be gone, or might be transplanted.

I don't know about the UK having the Sinai since that should be French here.  I'm going to assume we will keep France as the main superpower with the Normans being defeated/broken in the past.  I'm also not sure about Denmark or Gibraltar.  Gibraltar is not all that strategic if there is no way out of the Mediterranian in that direction (canal time).  Denmark should be open for another European power, as those tend to be small but powerful (sometimes with colonies).

For Africa I was thinking more of the whole of Liberia since thats not used.

However there is still Australia...or part of it...or even part of the ME-stralia

Earl822

That looks good to me, and not having Sinai would actually ease the problems of not having enough Battleships to cover everything. Though whether I bring across the UKA's infrastructure/military or start with a clean sheet is undecided.

I see the Norman Empire shown here as, as you say the remnants of a greater empire split up by Civil Wars, what is left is totally loyal to the Crown. While being a Powerful little empire, I also see the Government being quite tight fisted, and happy to commit resources to strengthening it's economic position, and improving trade, rather than going all out to win back the empire by fighting wars. Examples of this would be expanding the factory base, and building a canal at Gibraltar.

Ithekro

Okay.

Proposal:  North American Rohan becomes Gondor (or New Gondor) under the Rohirrim flag.  It makes some sense with the ME continent in this position, as if the Gondorians flee the land due to the eription of a super volcano, their ships get caught by the current and diposits them in North America.  All industry from New Beleriand goes there, save for the stuff captured during the war. New Beleriand becomes a real colony of Gondor/Rohan on Central America.  Old and often conqured.  Gondorians live there, and thus when the Anahuac became killing them all in the mid-late 1800s Rohan invaded to retake some of that land and protect their people.  The recent Anahuac War happens as normal.

Rohan will need to redestribute its land and sea forces to cover these areas, but I do not intend to increase forces nor infrustructure that already exists.  I'll still need my forces and enough infrustructure to maintain them in the Caribbean Sea, but the Pacific side can be shifed to Gondor I think.  This would also explain the overly large number of people that were suppose to be in North and Cental America, while still keeping the majority of the storylines straight, and keeping the need for a Canal in New Beleriand.

Thoughts, comments?

Desertfox

Was looking at a globe. ME should fit fine in the South Pacific (around 120 W, 10 S) without too much disortion or globe size increasing. The followers of the Eye could be the Incas and New Beleriand could be Ecuador. Only that would leave a gap in NA, but turning Mesoamerica and the CSA into a Mexican Empire (without Texas and norther border at 36 N) and a USA with the remaining parts of Canada and without New England. Only thing is that it might affect Rocky somewhat.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

swamphen

Quote from: Ithekro on March 04, 2007, 02:14:21 AM

(snip)
Proposal:  North American Rohan becomes Gondor (or New Gondor) under the Rohirrim flag.  It makes some sense with the ME continent in this position, as if the Gondorians flee the land due to the eription of a super volcano, their ships get caught by the current and diposits them in North America.  All industry from New Beleriand goes there, save for the stuff captured during the war. New Beleriand becomes a real colony of Gondor/Rohan on Central America.  Old and often conqured.  Gondorians live there, and thus when the Anahuac became killing them all in the mid-late 1800s Rohan invaded to retake some of that land and protect their people.  The recent Anahuac War happens as normal.

Rohan will need to redestribute its land and sea forces to cover these areas, but I do not intend to increase forces nor infrustructure that already exists.  I'll still need my forces and enough infrustructure to maintain them in the Caribbean Sea, but the Pacific side can be shifed to Gondor I think.  This would also explain the overly large number of people that were suppose to be in North and Cental America, while still keeping the majority of the storylines straight, and keeping the need for a Canal in New Beleriand.

"Yes."
Me like!

The DKB likely won't have intervened in Brazil in this timeline...what with Austria being different and all.

Desertfox

Updated map with ME in South Pacific, uses Earth's dimensions.

swamphen

When files are attached in that fashion, I can't view them for some reason...

Putting Rohan in the SoPac would mess with things too much I think. Here's a slightly modified version of Ithekro's map, showing Mesoamerica and Branahua:

Desertfox

maddox

I do approve.     

Added later, after a cup of coffee

Why an Atlantis?  That would change the world history a huge lot.

The Rock Doctor

Guys, y'all need to settle on one map soon.  

From my perspective, introducing a "Middle Earth" continent in the Pacific is not overly troublesome for me, as I spent most of my time in Navalism concentrating on matters close to home in the Americas and the Caribbean.

Is "Atlantis" necessary?  

Can we retain some kind of rump "Eastern Kingdom" - perhaps a little further south to accomodate the enlarged Swiss Alaska?  This will allow me to keep the historical EK intrigue in the Caribbean.

On powers/superpowers and UKA:  I can respect P3D's desire to avoid too many superpowers.  However, the world's being mucked up pretty thoroughly here.  Therefore, I don't see any real reason to assume that the UK + US New England conglomerate in this timeline must be as industrialized as historical.  Given the much smaller scale of that political entity, I'd expect some kind of parallel with historical Portugal/Brazil:  the small nation creates the larger colony, which gradually grows in power and becomes the dominant part of the partnership.

On map extent:  if a larger world is envisaged, the north-south extent must be enlarged.  Rather than introduce new land masses or stretch the existing ones, it may be simpler to assume enlarged and impassable ice caps at the poles.

Desertfox

Well there's really nothing much in NA to base an EK on. Perhaps replace the EK intruges, with Mexican intruges. Mexico would have a much bigger reason to interfere there and is much closer.

Atlantis could be removed, no need for it unless we go with a larger world.

khymerion

Could the former territories that were the Baltic area be colored in to avoid the land grabs?  I know I am just starting to figure things out but that area really sounds nice and... well...  this does keep getting ever so more interesting...  Don't have a good image program working at the moment...

I'll go back to keeping my head down for the moment.
Hopelessly trapped behind mountains of outdated miniature games.