General Social/Chatter Thread

Started by The Rock Doctor, May 11, 2020, 02:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

I can stop with "what is the shallowest draft I can float this gun on?"

Kaiser Kirk

Sorry, shallow draft and big guns might just be viable....

Conceptually part of the Rajasthani fleet concept is a heavily defended coastline and a 'fleet in being' able to ascend behind the forts up rivers, such as the Indus to Port Qasim.
Then that is augmented by a commerce warfare ability.

That makes it difficult for the Parthians to engage them decisively, while emerging with concentrated force at their own choosing. Those ships also have to operate offensively against the Deccans.  Meanwhile the cruisers could do damage to the Parthian trade, Deccan Trade, or Laksmanavati trade.  Since 1910 the new overseas obligations would probably add some ship types, and the entire fleet would have basically turned over.

Laksmanavati should have a more traditional fleet, though oriented towards longer range power projection, as their economic interests cover from China to Byzantine, and they need their trade to pass the Deccans and Rajasthanis.

hmm, I probably should have re-read the write ups instead of just running off memory.
They probably align..

Rajasthan
Naval viewpoint : The navy is for coastal defense and to interfere with the trade of any warring neighbor. They have chosen strategic footholds at the edges of the Indian Ocean, so that they may protect their trade, or harass those of other nations.

Laksmanavati

Naval outlook: For five hundred years, traders from Laskmanavati have roamed as far as the Swahili coast, China, the Philippines, the Spice islands, the Sunda islands, and western Australia. The Deccan navy is their true adversary, and they maintain a cruiser force capable of countering it.

...close enough
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Kaiser Kirk

I am traveling for the Thanksgiving Holidays,
I will likely have internet and can join in by Sunday the 19th.

snip

Meanwhile I've completed my one out-of-state trip for the year to assist my mom after a minor surgical procedure. Of course this had to happen during a pair of back-to-back storms which broke our record for earliest to 40" of snow by weeks, hit near enough half of our yearly average before November was half over, and once again exposed how incompetent our mayor is at dealing with anything other than being all-but nakidly corrupt. We now return to your regularly scheduled refits.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: snip on November 16, 2023, 09:38:24 PM
Meanwhile I've completed my one out-of-state trip for the year to assist my mom after a minor surgical procedure. Of course this had to happen during a pair of back-to-back storms which broke our record for earliest to 40" of snow by weeks, hit near enough half of our yearly average before November was half over, and once again exposed how incompetent our mayor is at dealing with anything other than being all-but nakidly corrupt. We now return to your regularly scheduled refits.
Mrs. Rock has a friend out your way who mentioned the delightful weather. 

Glad you weren't buried, but the season is young.

The Rock Doctor

Turns out 2/29 is the last turn I'll have anywhere I can build an IC for $10 (other than enclaves).

After that, the empty spaces are at least $15. 

Well, unless I emulate Jef and go invade somebody.

Kaiser Kirk

From Jefgte's post I get the hint that the Laksmanavati navy is the one that needs updating.
So I'll shift my nascent efforts to that, and spam Rocky.

Kaiser Kirk

Sorry been quiet a couple days.
Traveling back to the home coast,
then some new things popped up,
and a bit jet lagged from it all.

Jefgte

I am updating the Byzantine Imperial Navy.

All ships receive 40/39 pompom and 12.7/62 Vickers to replace the old 76.2 AA and MG7.7.
Some rebuilt ships have not been recorded.
it's done now.
I have to update the artillery and define the planes on the aircraft carriers.

Depending on the composition of Laksmanavati's Navy, I will perhaps change the composition 1929h1 of ships dedicated to this conquest.
More small ones, fewer big ones.
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

The Rock Doctor

Well I'm flying solo for most of the holidays. 

Mrs. Rock hasn't been home in a decade and her Mom's health is not great, so we agreed I'd mind the farm and she'd go back for a visit.  Since her respirologist was dead-set against her flying, she's driving out and back.  Five days each way on top of the visit.

I've got the next three weeks off work so will be doing a lot of puttering and little tasks, ideally some writing too.  I'll have Christmas dinner with the friends we do D&D with, as that sounds pretty low-key and I might even enjoy the company. 

What are you guys up to?

TacCovert4

Lady Tac is finishing up her vacation to Universal Studios, so it's been Daddy Daycare for the past week, plus working and working contract overtime.  I'll be working Christmas Eve on contract overtime, and working New Years Eve as well.  As far as holiday seasons go, mine have returned to what their normal was for the 10 years before I went to Major Crimes....aka working all the major holidays.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

Kaiser Kirk

So far this season : Flew to Florida for Thanksgving, had 4 holiday get togethers, I'll head south on Friday or Saturday. Do both sides of the family as best possible. Then on my way North I hope to arrange a meal with friends, and need to drop by a particular liquor store with a good selection to see if they have certain items...then back home for the remainder of the week off.  Though I can always wander into work and save the time off for later...I don't seem to ever do that.

Once upon a time it seemed like an annual ritual for the river to close the southern coastal highway, treefall to close the northern coastal highway, and then landslides to close the highway inland. Then the power would go out. ... which would be reason to say 'to heck with it' and go to work , get a chainsaw and go do storm patrol on roads. Or carry watersamples around in the research watershed.
....but they've put a ton of work into clearing trees from around the power lines, so I expect I'll have power. 

The Rock Doctor

Power does have its virtues.

We've got a heavy rainfall advisory in effect, which seems a bit off-season but whatever.  The sump pump is working.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on December 17, 2023, 06:04:18 PM
Power does have its virtues.

A couple years ago we had fires in the Unit, so I was working over the hill making the Fire Maps-updated daily- for them.
Then I'd drive home (because I'd rather sleep there than a hotel)...but since the power was off in the entire area...I got to use
a campstove to cook and any other provision for hot water. Went on a couple weeks, folks were having conniptions as the cell towers
powered down, but we of course have our own radio repeaters and generators.... still got very old very fast.

Jefgte

Quote...What are you guys up to?

On the 25th, Christmas meal at our house with the children and grandchildren (6, 9, 9,10 years old).
There will be entertainment around the Christmas tree.

On the 31st, New Year's Eve with all the brothers and sisters-in-law.
...Salmon, foie gras, capon, Saint Emilion and Champagne...

Calm and gray weather, temperature 5°C, the mildness of the Atlantic.
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf