General Social/Chatter Thread

Started by The Rock Doctor, May 11, 2020, 02:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

At another place, I am watching BUT NOT POSTING IN a thread in which a fellow proposes to build a line of thirty offshore ASW platforms, about 30nm apart, from the southern tip of Texas to the Florida Keys.

The argument is that these platforms offer safe havens for submarine hunters, anti-submarine aircraft, and so forth, in a manner that is more effective and more cost-effective than using ocean-going warships and other aircraft.

Engineering considerations appear not to be taking a front seat in the discussion.  Or costing issues, for that matter. 

TacCovert4

So basically build Deepwater oil platforms that don't produce oil.....and hope a hurricane doesn't come?
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

The Rock Doctor

Yes, and apparently nobody can/wants to torpedo them, either.

TacCovert4

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on October 14, 2023, 04:57:03 PM
Yes, and apparently nobody can/wants to torpedo them, either.

Or just shell it?
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

The Rock Doctor

Apparently not.  Seems to be a lot of hand-waving going on.

SmokeGrenadiers

Hello everyone, I am new to the Forum and to Navy stuff in general looking forward to learning from everyone.

Jefgte

"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

The Rock Doctor

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: SmokeGrenadiers on October 14, 2023, 11:59:51 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to the Forum and to Navy stuff in general looking forward to learning from everyone.
Let us know if you have questions, or feel free to chat and so forth, of course.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: SmokeGrenadiers on October 14, 2023, 11:59:51 PM

Welcome :)

feel free to ask questions, there's a "Knowledge Base"  area with a variety of information.
If you want to try your hand at springsharp, folks will be happy to help with that.
Likewise, if you have comments/observations on the designs posted, feel free to ask :)

Fairly soon we will likely be having 'design contests' to provide vessels for the unplayed positions.
Those will be open to all too.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

SmokeGrenadiers

I've been looking around the threads and realized you guys had a sim going with many different nations and would be interested in the Northern Kingdom if that's a possibility.  :)

The Rock Doctor

It would certainly be nice to have a neighbour.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: SmokeGrenadiers on October 15, 2023, 11:01:17 PM
I've been looking around the threads and realized you guys had a sim going with many different nations and would be interested in the Northern Kingdom if that's a possibility.  :)

Absolutely.
The Norse are several years out of date (6?)
If you don't mind, I'd like to get their turns up to date - 1928.5 for you,
I can leave "placeholder" tonnage in the build order.
As I have their sheets already, that should be doable this weekend, if it' ok with you.

That way you can start with tinkering with warship designs - kinda the core concept here.
not trying to grind through a bunch of turn updates.

"History" is that the Romans in particular, and Wilno secondarily are the Norse's competition.
The Five Tribes (Iroquois confederacy+) have some ships too, but a history of Peace with both Wilno and Norse.

That gives you some 'opposing forces' to look at and consider designs to counter.
Also look over the Norse encyclopedia, they've got a fair range of guns already researched,
so you probably do not need to research new gun designs to start.

The rules -> ship design, and -> tech will be informative, but we're happy to chime in on designs.

Walter - the original player- wrote up a bunch on the Norse.
That gives you the background, but the future will be yours.
In game, the Norse monarch has fallen in a coma and their political system is dysfunctional,
so they've relapsed to isolationism.  What comes next is yours.
But ...stories are optional..

Overall, you don't need to know N7's history much
Core concept - Ancient Empires survived to the present day.
To do so, a minimal number of key historic events were changed, but if State A and B had a war in 1750,
which ever powers are there in N7 probably had a war in 1750.

The Parthian (me) and Norse Royal families intermarried several times over past centuries to cement alliances against the Golden Horde (Russia),
who is an isolationist NPC...with the biggest army out there. There seems to have been a joint "PC" vs. the Horde around 1876, last major war they were in.

SmokeGrenadiers

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on October 17, 2023, 12:26:07 AM
Quote from: SmokeGrenadiers on October 15, 2023, 11:01:17 PM

Absolutely.
The Norse are several years out of date (6?)
If you don't mind, I'd like to get their turns up to date - 1928.5 for you,
I can leave "placeholder" tonnage in the build order.
As I have their sheets already, that should be doable this weekend, if it' ok with you.

That way you can start with tinkering with warship designs - kinda the core concept here.
not trying to grind through a bunch of turn updates.

"History" is that the Romans in particular, and Wilno secondarily are the Norse's competition.
The Five Tribes (Iroquois confederacy+) have some ships too, but a history of Peace with both Wilno and Norse.

That gives you some 'opposing forces' to look at and consider designs to counter.
Also look over the Norse encyclopedia, they've got a fair range of guns already researched,
so you probably do not need to research new gun designs to start.

The rules -> ship design, and -> tech will be informative, but we're happy to chime in on designs.

Walter - the original player- wrote up a bunch on the Norse.
That gives you the background, but the future will be yours.
In game, the Norse monarch has fallen in a coma and their political system is dysfunctional,
so they've relapsed to isolationism.  What comes next is yours.
But ...stories are optional..

Overall, you don't need to know N7's history much
Core concept - Ancient Empires survived to the present day.
To do so, a minimal number of key historic events were changed, but if State A and B had a war in 1750,
which ever powers are there in N7 probably had a war in 1750.

The Parthian (me) and Norse Royal families intermarried several times over past centuries to cement alliances against the Golden Horde (Russia),
who is an isolationist NPC...with the biggest army out there. There seems to have been a joint "PC" vs. the Horde around 1876, last major war they were in.

that would be perfectly fine, I'm always around if you need anything from me, although I'm not much of a story teller I can give it a go.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: SmokeGrenadiers on October 17, 2023, 12:52:26 PM

that would be perfectly fine, I'm always around if you need anything from me, although I'm not much of a story teller I can give it a go.

Storytelling is not required, some like it, some are not into that. Then some of us use it as a way of presenting our design considerations, or how our nation works.
It's an option :)

I put up a 'primer' for you, it's meant to help... really.