Main Menu

Soldiers on warships

Started by Jefgte, July 09, 2016, 04:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefgte

Historical warships transport soldiers.

German destroyers to Narvick & Tanaka'sDDs - Tokyo Express to Guadalcanal.

Could we define rules for soldiers transports on warships.

for exemple the last Japan cruiser
QuoteTenryu, Japanese Light Cruiser laid down 1905

Displacement:
   2,500 t light; 2,591 t standard; 2,816 t normal; 2,996 t full load

Dimensions: Length (overall / waterline) x beam x draught (normal/deep)
   (393.70 ft / 393.70 ft) x 36.09 ft x (13.78 / 14.44 ft)
   (120.00 m / 120.00 m) x 11.00 m  x (4.20 / 4.40 m)

Armament:
      7 - 4.72" / 120 mm 45.0 cal guns - 44.97lbs / 20.40kg shells, 200 per gun
     Quick firing guns in deck and hoist mounts, 1905 Model
     5 x Single mounts on centreline ends, majority aft
      2 raised mounts - superfiring
     2 x Single mounts on centreline, forward deck aft
      Weight of broadside 315 lbs / 143 kg

Armour:
   - Gun armour:   Face (max)   Other gunhouse (avg)   Barbette/hoist (max)
   Main:   1.50" / 38 mm   0.39" / 10 mm      0.39" / 10 mm

Machinery:
   Coal and oil fired boilers, steam turbines,
   Direct drive, 4 shafts, 20,000 shp / 14,920 Kw = 26.16 kts
   Range 3,000nm at 10.00 kts
   Bunker at max displacement = 404 tons (90% coal)

Complement:
   193 - 251

2500t-120m complement 193(peace) 251(war)

proposition
1 day => 251 x1=251
2 days => 251 x 0.8 = 200
3 days => 251 x 0.6 = 150
4 days => 251 x0.4 = 100
5 days => 251 x0.2 = 50
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Walter

To me if you want to move troops on warships, you need to assign miscellaneous weights one the ship for that job in order to do that. I have plans to build some river gunboats based on one of my designs with some miscellaneous weights on it for a bunch of troops. *goes to check sim* Good for 800 troops for a short trip and 100 for longer trips.

Jefgte

Soldiers transport is an exeptionnal work so, I consider that is not misc weight but overloaded weignt.
with reduction of the armament performances.

=> you could transport on your gunboat 800 soldiers with misc weight + 200 overloaded
total 1000 soldiers

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Darman

You have to build transports or modify existing vessels to transport troops. I believe until the beginning of 1905 we could transport a specific amount of troops using handwavium. After that point we had to custom build such vessels. Britain is more than willing to lease the use of troop transports to select nations. So long as the transport capacity isn't required elsewhere by His Majesty's forces

Tanthalas

See I have an issue with that... after both world wars the USN used basically everything bigger than a rowboat to transport the troops home.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Walter

Well, if you want to use everything bigger than a rowboat to transport the troops home, then you should make sure that everything bigger than a rowboat has enough miscellaneous weights assigned in order to transport the troops home.

Kaiser Kirk

On the one hand, we'd like the SIM to conform fairly well to what we know is reality.
I admittedly took the original time line ability of the Italia class to carry 10,000 troops....and in it's 1890s reconstruction assigned Misc weight to support that ability in-game.  That made for a very weird design which does not reflect a normal warship. As such I think it's a failed approach. It does happen to allow me to do my little African adventure, ...and means I can land a Division in nearby places like Libya if so needed. Not that I'd ever do that. No, never crossed my mind. Nope. Not once. Well...

Reality is, coal fired ships could stack additional fuel on their decks as they sailed from Russia to their doom.  That overburdened the ship and created a fire hazard and cramped them.
Reality is, warships carried infantry significant distances post war, and there are notable instances such as Dunkirk or the Tokyo Express where troops were moved by relatively small warships.
Reality was, the Tokyo express was terribly wasteful in terms of tons delivered/ton of fuel oil. The troops arrived without heavy equipment or supplies, while the troops at Dunkirk had nothing.

Lastly, if you look to the Spanish American war transports of 1898-9, which fits the SIM timeline, they were civilian vessels leased or bought & converted by the US Navy.  There was no organic troop lift, and this approach provided vessels quickly. 

So... I would venture we could come up with some way of relating the waterplane area x freeboard x  (200%-hull above water%)into an emergency cargo metric - fuel, supplies or riflemen (just dudes with personal weapons). Or we could just say X m2 of waterplane area = x m3 of cargo/troops (using the Handbook on German Mil forces for cargo cap).  The ratio should be horrible though to discourage this as a normal technique.   

Secondly, if troop transports are demanded to move troops, then there should be a mechanism to allow purchase of 10+ year old vessels from the civilian corporations at some premium.
To keep that from being too exploitive, some stock civilian designs can be mocked up  - collier/tanker, bulk cargo, cargo/liner, liner.  Small/Med/Large.
Once developed, we just assign a constant # tons to engines, and decree that their engine tech is 10 years behind the current date.

Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest