Main Menu

Refits

Started by KWorld, December 19, 2012, 06:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWorld

I was looking at updating the USN's "New York" class ACs, installing new more efficient engines, a wireless, and perhaps updating the secondary armament.  Then I checked the price, and it seemed relatively reasonable.  So, I thought, lets see about some of the old PCs, like the Madison and New Orleans classes.  Whoops!  Because their engines are a much larger percentage of the ship, the costs are a LOT higher in relation to the cost of the ship.  I guess that won't be happening, just wear the old ships out and replace them with something better and newer.

Tanthalas

Yup you will find that extensive refits can be/are cost prohibitive on older ships, generaly my rule is pre startup ships are just to be worn out then scraped.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

KWorld

Heh, it's not so much the age, from what I'm seeing, it's the percentage of the hull.  With New York, the engines aren't that big a chunk of the whole ship (less than 30% after refit).  That still means a cost of 2*30% + 20% (in $, it's not as bad in IP), but it's better than paying more than the cost of the ship which you do when the ship has 40% or more of it's displacement in the engine spaces.

Jefgte

Perso, I limit the refit 10yo ships, not older, to have 20 more useful years.

IMO, 1901 is too early to refit 1895 cruisers.

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf