Asia Buildup

Started by Guinness, June 07, 2011, 01:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valles

My 'DN Era' BBs are probably going to hold fairly steady in size, actually...

...though, admittedly, all the variants I've tried so far've come out around thirty ktons light and forty loaded, which is steep for a Dreadnought contemporary.
======================================================

When the mother ship's cannon cracked the signal to return
The clouds were building bastions in the swirling up above
Poseidon the King and the Wind his jester
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair

Delta Force

Is Siam open? I'm not really sure what exactly is taken and what is open. Can someone run give a rundown?

Guinness

Guinness

Challenge to the "Asians": Let's firm up who's where, please. Particularly, I'm not sure about Walter and PyscoWard in China.

Valles

The four Chinas:

WEI: Shown as brown on the map, centered around the North China Plain and the city of Beijing

WU: Shown as yellow on the map, centered around the lower half of the Yangtze River watershed and ruled from the city of Nanjing.

SHU: Shown as dark green on the map, centered around the Sichuan Basin and the upper half of the Yangtze basin. Ruled from the city of Chengdu and probably an NPC.

ZHU: Shown as aqua blue on the map, centered around the Pearl River watershed and the southern coast of China. Capital is, as was pointed out to me, probably Guangzhou. Given its effective conquest of the two major offshore islands, Taiwan and Hainan, Zhu is probably the most naval-focused of the Chinas.

At the moment, I'm thinking that the general pattern of Chinese history has had five 'eras' - the initial establishment of the 'Early First Empire', from the Xia to the Zhou and through to the period of warfare, then the 'Late First Empire', also much as OTL, from the Qin to the Han.

After that, the 'Three Kingdoms' period would last significantly longer than OTL, say, up until 550 AD before finally being reunified into the 'Second Empire', which probably went through half a dozen different dynasties before being conquered by the Mongols -

We still have Mongols, right?

- and the Yuan dynasty.

After the Yuan falls, though, it leads to the modern 'Four Kingdoms' period, with four successor states feuding over who's the real Slim Sha-er, China.

Obviously, I have no clue who's where, beyond Shu's being landlocked, but that should give people enough information to make their own choices.

Walter

QuoteParticularly, I'm not sure about Walter and PyscoWard in China.
Well, I replied to your PM a few days ago. Looking at this, it is safe to assume that cyberspace ate up that reply and it never arrived at your location.

Guinness

I did get your pm, but it had more than once choice in it, and I figured discussion of those was best done in this thread.

Walter

I was actually looking at this map when I gave you the reply...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c386/valles_uf/asia-valles-v06.png

With that Chinese coastline occupied, I indicated in the PM either west of the Yellow Blob of China with ports in the Bangladesh/East India area or North/Northeast of the Red Blob of Manchuria with preference to the western part due to the Himalayas being there in the area (and something else crossed my mind for that area).

Valles

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c386/valles_uf/asia-valles-v08.png

Latest draft, adding 'blockage' against continental expansion the way the GMs seem insistent on having, the only way I can see how: Existing stable NPCs in the area.

Assuming that the projection of power through the Himalaya, the Pamir Knot, and across the Taklamakan would be significantly difficult, the Tibetan Empire (dark purple) could maybe be a player nation by claiming OTL Bangladesh. Russia (dark blue) and Mongolia (medium blue) probably couldn't be, though.

miketr

Valles what are the colors of the PC's please?

Michael

Valles

Red: 'Vladivostok' (Borys)
Grey: Japan (Valles)
Neon Green: Korea (Unassigned)
Brown: Wei (Unassigned)
Yellow: Wu (Unnassigned)
Aqua: Zhu (Unassigned)
Dark Green: Shu (Unassigned/NPC)
Pink: Thailand (P3D)
Dark Purple: Tibet (Unassigned/NPC)
Medium Blue: Mongolia (NPC)
Dark Blue: Russia (NPC)

Borys

Ahoj!
Should I get paranoid over Korea, which holds both Liaotung AND Shantung Peninsulas?
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Valles

I wouldn't in your place. You have possible major ports at Vladivostok and the mouth of the Amur, and unless you're at war with me and the Koreans at the same time, your ports on that coast would be able to pass trade and the like through the Tsugaru, Tsushima, or Kanmon straits, as well as pretty much the entire length of the Kuriles. Or via the Yellow and East China Seas to the Taiwan Strait, if it's me you're arguing with rather than the Koreans.

P3D

I have to grudgingly admit, Valles' last maps are getting closer to my liking.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Valles

Good to know I'm getting close. Which elements do you still find unsatisfactory?