New New Swiss Ships (war experience)

Started by Desertfox, July 16, 2010, 06:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miketr

Quote from: Desertfox on July 18, 2010, 11:54:58 AM
The CAM ship is the auxilary not the light carrier.

You guys forget that Sopwith Pups where flying off of turrets. Furious forward flying off deck was about 200ft and the CVEs where about 500ft long. At 30knots most WWI would need very little space to take off. We are talking about take off speeds in the 50 knot range.

You have no space to do aircraft maintenance and repair on that design DF.  I would buy the aircraft being in a single line so 10 - 12.  If you want more have a bunch disassembled as a reserve, figure an operational air group of 8, with another 8 disassembled. 

Michael

Sachmle

QuoteFour fighters and two scouts would be up on deck at all times. So only 14 planes below decks.

That would be -12' of deck space. There is only 150' of useable space forward of the bridge, since you can't really put the tail of a the aft most plane directly against the tower. At 27' (your numbers) long, x 4 fighters, + 2 scouts= 162'.  The most you could have is 2, barely, on deck waiting. Once they're launched 2 more could be brought up. That leaves you  96' for taking off.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Desertfox

14 planes below deck, 6 up on deck + one taking off. The tower is 20'x40' which I think is excessively big. The deck is also larger than it will be but there is still plenty of space around. The plane forward has 200ft for take of, which is alot for a fighter (which I can attest to from personal experience).
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Sachmle

Ok, earlier you said the tower wasn't offset, not it is. There's ONLY 182' TOTAL forward of the tower. Not 200'. And don't forget you engine room/stacks. They're not behind the tower as in the last pick, they're way aft.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Desertfox

I said IF she had a tower. Most early carriers didn't have one. 182' is a lot of room, like that pic miketr just posted of Akagi, I'm sure the two lower decks where not longer that 180'.

Don't understand the stack comment...

Walter

From wiki:
QuoteAkagi's main flight deck was 190.2 meters (624 ft 0 in) long, her middle flight deck began right in front of the bridge and was only 15 meters (49 ft 3 in) long and her lower flight deck was 55.02 meters (180 ft 6 in) long. The utility of her middle flight deck was questionable as it was so short that only some of the lightly loaded aircraft could use it, even in an era when the aircraft were much lighter and smaller than they were during World War Two.

Sachmle

We are both talking about the same carrier, right?
Otto von Bismarck

Kaiser Wilhelm

Ithekro

Nope, that is his tender I think.

The carrier is supposed to be a modifed version of the Miranda-class cruiser.

Desertfox

Ah! Figured you were talking about the real aircraft carrier, not the auxiliary.

Yeah that one does not have an offset tower. But the only planes taking of from there will be fighters in a CAM style role. Only two on deck at any time and her deck is wider (74'), so two fighters fit side by side with room to spare. The aft flight deck is only for handling the blimps/repairing flying boats, and can not be used for landings or takeoffs. Additional planes can be stored amidship, but only stored.

Ithekro

I think you need a side image of your carrier (or at least a prototype) so to not confuse anymore.

Desertfox

Very quick and dirty drawing. I used the Aurora class as a base which will be very similar to the Mirandas.

Sachmle

Otto von Bismarck

Kaiser Wilhelm

P3D

Deck park on the landing deck just asks for trouble. Put them forward of the superstructure.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Kaiser Kirk

Deck park with wood and canvas biplanes may not be terribly advisable. There will be weather conditions where you really want to put all your aircraft below, and otherwise you're looking at greater maintenance problems.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

damocles

Quote from: Sachmle on July 18, 2010, 12:57:24 PM
QuoteFour fighters and two scouts would be up on deck at all times. So only 14 planes below decks.

That would be -12' of deck space. There is only 150' of useable space forward of the bridge, since you can't really put the tail of a the aft most plane directly against the tower. At 27' (your numbers) long, x 4 fighters, + 2 scouts= 162'.  The most you could have is 2, barely, on deck waiting. Once they're launched 2 more could be brought up. That leaves you  96' for taking off.

Does that include the lift which is not usable deck space?