New New Swiss Ships (war experience)

Started by Desertfox, July 16, 2010, 06:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damocles

Not possible. Not on 6000 tons. Not 20 aircraft.  

Sachmle

I'd think your beam is to narrow for that. Just as an example and Armstrong-Whitworth Sisken was 33'+ wide, that leaves you <21' for your tower width, plus wiggle room.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Ithekro

You might want to add a flying boat for scale.

Why do you think you'll find a safe place to land the wheeled aircraft out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean?

ctwaterman

Sometime by 1925 or so someone will finally get the tech for a real full length carrier with arrestor wires until then.... Italy will be happy to put some small two engined Flying Boats on cruisers with gunpoweder catapults for recon flights with a radio.   Im probably going to build 1 Prototype for Experiments a forward take off deck and land on shore or in the water.

I have the tech I just can afford to build huge numbers of ships and I desperately need auxilarys and some new cruisers :(

Though I think New Switzerland needs more of them then I do.... :o
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Nobody

QuoteMain belt does not fully cover magazines and engineering spaces
You might want to change this.

Carthaginian

Quote from: Desertfox on July 17, 2010, 10:43:00 PM
Wow, like the way the redo turned out, now it looks like a tender and much more impressive.

I REALLY like it, DF.
Probably your best ever.

As a practical ship, probably not the best; but as a 'pretty' ship, she's awesome.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

The Rock Doctor

I'd like to see a top view plan of the 6,000 t carrier. 

Ditto, for that matter, the tender thing.  there's a lot going on there.

Desertfox

QuoteNot possible. Not on 6000 tons. Not 20 aircraft. 
I would agree if they where WWII aircraft, but these are WWI fighters and scouts, not torpedo bombers. The USS Ranger could theoretically carry 86 aircraft. And she was only twice as big.

QuoteI'd think your beam is to narrow for that. Just as an example and Armstrong-Whitworth Sisken was 33'+ wide, that leaves you <21' for your tower width, plus wiggle room.
That's if she has a tower. Planes could take off ahead of it and land behind.

QuoteYou might want to add a flying boat for scale.
Adds to the To Do List

QuoteWhy do you think you'll find a safe place to land the wheeled aircraft out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean?
On the Aux you mean? I don't, think CAM. Wheeled aircraft would have better performance than their float counterparts, which might come in handy when taking out zeppelins. The planes would have to ditch afterward, they would have flotation bags but I wouldn't expect any more than a 25% recovery rate.

QuoteYou might want to change this.
Just 5 ft, I will.

QuoteI REALLY like it, DF.
Probably your best ever.
Thanks. She turned out quite well, especially compared to my first attempt. Definitely the best looking auxiliary out there!

QuoteI'd like to see a top view plan of the 6,000 t carrier.

Ditto, for that matter, the tender thing.  there's a lot going on there.
Working on one. Based on a 400'x40' hangar and a Siemens Schucker DIV (the new Swiss fighter) at 27'x19', the 6k carrier could fit 25 planes (without using folding wings). The scouts would be larger, and space would have to be provided for the elevator, but I think my original estimate of 20 is perfectly fine. Course as planes get larger, less can fit in.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

damocles

Catapult assisted merchantmen? That is the model? Not possible.

Your flight deck is too short and narrow and your hull volume is too small. Hosho which is 25% larger cannot carry and operate that many WW I aircraft.

Sorry Fox.  :(  I just went through this process myself to get something that was doable and permissible. This one does not work either technically or legally.

Sachmle

Quote from: damocles on July 18, 2010, 10:57:47 AM

I believe he meant the operation of wheeled aircraft would be similar to a CAM, i.e. they don't come back after launch, at least not to land.

Fox, 400x40 won't hack it w/ 27x19 planes.

Box is 400'x40x, red squares(since I can't draw planes) is 27'x19', large blue square represents space required for the hatch/elevator/however you get them on deck. Best you can do is 12, 11 w/ something resembling decent spacing, 10 would probably be better.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

damocles

Quote from: Sachmle on July 18, 2010, 11:20:23 AM
Quote from: damocles on July 18, 2010, 10:57:47 AM

I believe he meant the operation of wheeled aircraft would be similar to a CAM, i.e. they don't come back after launch, at least not to land.

Fox, 400x40 won't hack it w/ 27x19 planes.

Box is 400'x40x, red squares(since I can't draw planes) is 27'x19', large blue square represents space required for the hatch/elevator/however you get them on deck. Best you can do is 12, 11 w/ something resembling decent spacing, 10 would probably be better.

I think his takeoff run may be way too short.

D.

Sachmle

Even if the tower sits in the middle of the ship so he only has the forward deck for launching, it's still ~180' to the end of the flight deck. 150' if you don't put the tail against the tower. I think he's got enough for take off, barely.

What I want to know now is where the crew, engines, ammo, fuel oil, avgas, pilots, food, and stores go in a ship that's only 540' long if 400' of it is aircraft hanger?
Otto von Bismarck

Kaiser Wilhelm

Desertfox

The CAM ship is the auxilary not the light carrier.

You guys forget that Sopwith Pups where flying off of turrets. Furious forward flying off deck was about 200ft and the CVEs where about 500ft long. At 30knots most WWI would need very little space to take off. We are talking about take off speeds in the 50 knot range.

Ithekro

Rather tight in there, isn't it?  I won't want to be the Wing Commander and have to argue with the Chief about getting my planes out on deck and ready to go in any reasonable amount of time. 

If you need most of the runway to take off you won't be able to deck spot strikes.  At best you'd probably only be able to launch scouting flights (if you really have so little deck space for takeoffs).

Desertfox

I just noticed that this ship is almost exactly the same size as Hosho, just 5 feet thinner. And Hosho was theoretically capable of 26 aircraft (thought closer to 15 in practice).

20 Aircraft don't require a lot of crew (certainly less than 5 twin 6" turrets), and no torpedoes or heavy bombs carried. MG ammo and very light bombs don't take up a lot of space. And these planes don't burn that much gas.

Rather tight in there, isn't it?  I won't want to be the Wing Commander and have to argue with the Chief about getting my planes out on deck and ready to go in any reasonable amount of time. 
That a lesson to be learned.

If you need most of the runway to take off you won't be able to deck spot strikes.  At best you'd probably only be able to launch scouting flights (if you really have so little deck space for takeoffs).
Not a strike carrier, torpedo bombers would be tough to operate successfully from it. It only has two jobs, scouting, and fleet defense. Four fighters and two scouts would be up on deck at all times. So only 14 planes below decks.