Brainstorming: Introducing new player nations

Started by The Rock Doctor, March 01, 2007, 01:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertfox

I like 3 or 4 or a combination of bith, where some NPCs are defined while some are only broadly defined. A slightly bigger slightly different Earth is a possibility. Increasing the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans by 25% wouldnt cause too many problems. We can also add countries like Atlantis and Tarrantry, and maybe turn the Antartic into habitable territory. However Im not in favor of anything too drastic.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

P3D

I am for predefined possible player countries, both large and small.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Ithekro

Well I had a prototype map made up.  It is very, very crude, but gets the general idea across with a world nearly three times the circumferance of the Earth.  The polar regions have not been detailed as we've have to figure where they actaully would be on the sphere this could create.

Only twice normal would give us a lot of options, and this is three....needs more land though.

P3D

I think we should stop discussing the world map here, until we decided on how we want to continue.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Ithekro

Desertfox

Same reason for my maps, to start people thinking about what we want to do.

P3D

I just want to avoid brainstorming results as seen in the Navalism 1.0 or whatever world. 4-8-30-million-population provinces in the middle of desert or the Rockies without any water, heavy industries relying on imported coal and iron ore (shipped from the other side of the ocean) as domestic resources were negligible, or country histories that relied on transporting a few million people to the other side of the planet in the timespan of a few years - with sailing ships, or trade empires that have 4 millions living on small islands with incredible heavy industry - but without food to feed them, or reason why anyone would want to use their services.

P3D

Map design should be in the hand of as few people as possible. Same with rules. But it is not even decided yet whether we want to reboot the sim.

I say it as an admin.

Ithekro

Well new lands would get us away from the population resources problem as they can be logically placed rather than dictacted by the constrants of our world and thus allow for expansion to the levels previously though illogical.  Basically we can fix that now.

The goal is still to have fun afterall.

P3D

Yes, but Navalism is a very good example of the "too many cooks spoil the broth" effect.

swamphen

It was along those lines that some of my "woulda, shoulda, coulda" thoughts for the DKB went, as in should-a bid for all of Australia, which would have solved a number of problems.

The departure of the original Habsburg player also created a number of problems in Africa, as he'd come up with a neat little partition plan for what, in the vacuum that resulted later, became Zulu land. (Hindsight said that when I annexed Zambia laterI should have grabbed the whole ball o' wax instead of just going for what had been planned, guess I'm just too much of a nice guy.  ;D )

Oh, and DF - regardless of what happens, no getting your grubby paws on Penguinstan!  :P

P3D

Ideas how to place more nations on the map, even keeping the size of the Earth. Icreasing population sizes in the Americas and Australia is a good start. Creating a continent or two in the Pacific ocean is another one (Zeelandia?). Or 'digging' a sea in the place Central Asia - Caspian Sea, Aral Sea, and connected to the world Oceans.

Desertfox

Slightly increasing ocean sizes is one idea, Atlantis could go in the Atlantic, Lemuria in the Pacific. A sea in Asia is interesting as is a sea in the Sahara.

Me Penguistan? What's Penguistan anyway? I only know of Sealandia... :P

Ithekro

Increasing the populations (logically) in the Americas would work, as would adding landmasses to the Pacific and transfering poplations out to "new" colonies.  Not increasing "present" levels, but distributing them more logically perhaps.  This would work great with the DBK and New Swiss, and some of the former ACM areas and to a lesser degree with Rohan (as its been pointed out I seem to have too many people).  New lands might also work better with the Tolkien map (what little of the new lands are shown rather than the land of the Valar which was "removed from the world".  Also would make for a nice raised land of Numanor, or some of Old Beleriand reclaimed from the sea (off the present day Rohan/Eastern Kingdom coastline rather than Russia.)   A larger globe also would I suppose move the polar regions and thus make the real world tundra and artic areas a more habitable space.  I'm mainly concerned with keeping the six main continents intact for continuity...Antartica is a variable since its not been used much in Navalism.

As I said...a lot of work.  But it can be done.

Ithekro

We might need to reorder the British Isles in this new version.  I don't want to take Van Owen's creation as it is without him, as I never really understood it completely.  A version of it perhaps, as the concept of "half-elves" in name only makes for nice backstory and changes of relations....of course the "half-elves" could also be Atlantis if it were placed in this world....though I'd almost rather see Wes run that land like he does in Wesworld.