Messages from Leo-rcc

Started by Leo, February 27, 2007, 03:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leo-rcc

Can someone tell me why the data transfers from the site just exploded in the last 2 months?

Best regards,

Leo.

The Rock Doctor

Off hand, no.  I don't think the board has been dramatically busier.  Is there any way to track what data is going where?

Guinness

Odd.

*diving into the techie stuff*

I notice that the server is sending these headers:

Cache-Control: private
  Pragma: no-cache

At any rate, if you need some help crunching access logs, etc. let me know.

*mumbles*

that's some of the sort of stuff I do for a living

leo-rcc

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on December 01, 2008, 09:49:38 AM
Thanks for the update.  The Chat room is proving rather popular, it seems.

Very popular indeed, as it turns out, the chat is responsible for 22GB! of data traffic on top of the standard forum data traffic.
Best regards,

Leo.

Guinness

is that 22 gigabytes? Or 22 gigabits? Either way: yikes!.

I'd turn that off. We can surely set up a standing MSN or AOL chatroom or something instead.

The Rock Doctor

Before we do that - is the increase in traffic a problem?  Or just a matter of curiousity?

maddox

a €30 fine is the result of the increased data transfer.

leo-rcc

Over the last 2 months the site went over with 17 Gigabyte, as I had it set to the max of 10 GB per month (So in total this forum hit 37 Gigabyte in 2 months). That is already the maximum allowed for any package.

I don' t want to limit anyones use of the chat or indeed the rest of the forum. But a 30 euro fine every month or 2 months does add up.

I will try to to edit the template of the chat asking people not to lurk around too long, that is the best I can do atm.
Best regards,

Leo.

leo-rcc

As much as I didn't want to do this I have taken off the chat for now. I upgraded the forum software to 1.1.8 so the chat stopes working after each upgrade anyway so I could do that in one stroke. I will see if I can find a different solution that is not so intense in data as the tpvchat.
Best regards,

Leo.

leo-rcc

I added this program to the Navalism site.

Best regards,

Leo.

Guinness

Thanks Leo. I've updated the reference in the ship design guidelines, then moved this post here for posterity.

leo-rcc

Had a bit of a tense moment there, I updated the forum to 1.1.9 and halfway the upgrade the installer gave an SQL error. I managed to fix it though, some security updates are now implemented.
Best regards,

Leo.

leo-rcc

It seems we are getting rather popular with spammers lately. I will see what I can do about that.
Best regards,

Leo.

The Rock Doctor

Thanks; it's usually good to be popular, but it does have drawbacks.

maddox

Funny, last week Guinnes and me talked about it, and our potential solution is rather simple.

Before approval the "new member" has to explain in a short sentence why he wants to join Navalism.

And it "I like this site" won't cut the cheese.