Help me out...

Started by The Rock Doctor, April 18, 2007, 11:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

I'll soon be moving up from A-Q-Y capital ships to stuff where wing turrets become an option.  I could build something with the layout of Dreadnought, Invincible, or Posen, but y'all are doing the same.  What're some more unusual layouts that come to mind?

Korpen

The only thing that comes to mind is using single turret wing turrets.
And you could mount is like the brodside mounts of light crusiers, so all wing turrets along the sides. :)
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Ithekro

All staggered turrets on the sides with cross deck firing (kind of like that funky cruiser design Red Admiral presented in Wesworld).  Or take the AMC styles and run with them (turrets in echelon and/or with central centerline turret).  It all depends on how much firepower the Columbians want to project in any given direction.  If you had the technology I'd suggest Sao Paulo with both centerline, superimposed, and wing turrets.

Hmmm.   What about a deck higher guns that can fire over the wing turrets?  (wing mounted superimposed turrets?  Or centerally mounted centerline turrets that are higher than the wing mounted turrets, thus adding to the broadside?

This is too advanced (and wrong, and probably ugly) but it is sort of what I mean by centerline guns over wings.

Carthaginian

Single wing turrets would be something of a waste of time.
I'd say to look at the layout of HMS Colossus. The crossdecking wing turrets give it a firepower edge over the non-crossdecking designs being proposed by a lot of people:

Of course, you have to hope your gunners are smart enough not to hole their own ship. I know the superfiring rear turret is beyond Colombia (for now ;) ) but the basic layout of the ship would be good.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

P3D

Columbia can have the raised X turret without superfiring capability like the HMS Colossus, in order to reduce the length of the citadel, and without end-on firing capability for X. However, every second country is building/plannning ships like that.

There's soo much wrong with the amidships turrets of that Chilean cruiser. The magazine is completely in the middle of the engineering spaces, nevermind the topweight.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Carthaginian

Quote from: P³D on April 18, 2007, 12:57:08 PM
Columbia can have the raised X turret without superfiring capability like the HMS Colossus, in order to reduce the length of the citadel, and without end-on firing capability for X. However, every second country is building/plannning ships like that..

That's why I said leave the superfiring turret off... ;)
A setup like HMS Indefatigable, which is the pic I should have used, would be more modest, and more likely, for GC to produce.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

P3D

That's like what the Austrians are planning...
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

The Rock Doctor

Got to agree about Colossus:  it makes sense, but it's fairly common.  The most "logical" follow-up to my Invencible class is something eerily similar to the current Orange BC designs, only slower.  

The evolution I really want to make is A-Q-Y with twins to A-Q-Y with triples.  However, that's another tech step up to get the triples, so some kind of experimentation is in order.  

Ithekro and Korpen are giving me some peculiar ideas...perhaps I'll do some sketching on the long bus ride home.

I'm building a ~17,000 t ship at the moment, so I'm satisfied that I can step up to a ~23,000 t design if something presents itself.

Ithekro

Yes the Chilean vessel is quite wrong.  The final product (nor the original) looked like that.  The original and the final version of it are essentially larger, faster, versions of Blucher with 16x8" guns (added superiposed turrets) and 28 knots, where as this design was the weird Rurik like model (8x10" + 8x8", but with 6 of the 8" being able to fire on the broadside).  She has been superceded by a vastly superior cruiser with 9x10" guns and 33.4 knots speed.

I look forward to what Rocky has in mind.

The Rock Doctor

Yes, an evil idea has coalesced in my head.  The question is whether I can back it up with a technically adequate design, and whether it works in the Type 2 infrastructure I'm relying upon to build it.

Borys

Ahoj!
Suggestion - don't build any battleships right now. Wait until superfiring available. In the meantime build infrastructure, railroads, light forces.

Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

The Rock Doctor

It's crossed my mind, but that's at least 2.5 years away. 

Desertfox

How about 4 centerline turrents all non superfiring? I considered that layout before deciding to wait.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

The Rock Doctor

I contemplated a Gangut-style layout with twins, but the actual design I'm going with is...different.

maddox

France is going Gangut style. personaly I like that the best.