Privateer

Started by Ithekro, April 13, 2007, 11:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithekro

For recent work, the Privateers of Rohan have operated more as anti-pirate and anti-raiders rather than anti-shipping duty.  Thus they get hazard pay if the cannot take the enemy raider or pirate captive.  Thus they are expensive.

Korpen

Quote from: Carthaginian on April 13, 2007, 04:36:24 PM
And I agree that Privateering is a soon to be gone relic of the past.
WWI was the 'Commerce Raider's Last Hurrah', as it just became too easy to find, track and kill a surface raider with smaller, longer ranged warships as radio and other innovations made 'outrunning the law' a more difficult feat.
A naval commerce raider is not a privateer!!!

Never mix those two together, as that is comparing apples and potatoes.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Korpen

QuoteFor recent work, the Privateers of Rohan have operated more as anti-pirate and anti-raiders rather than anti-shipping duty.  Thus they get hazard pay if the cannot take the enemy raider or pirate captive.  Thus they are expensive.

If a "privateer" is held under military command and discipline, on a ship in government service, they are not privateers!
Naval auxiliaries seems a good name.

Ithekro

That may work since that is were they are in the section on the Kingdom of Rohan.

The question, since it started this topic, is what the New Swiss are doing?

Korpen

Quote from: Ithekro on April 13, 2007, 04:47:58 PM
That may work since that is were they are in the section on the Kingdom of Rohan.

The question, since it started this topic, is what the New Swiss are doing?
No idea about the Swiss:
But as for converting merchantmen to warships: http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/lawofwar/hague07.htm
That convention is up for discussion and hopefully ratification in Den Haag :)
And i again remind people to inform me about any objections (or any other feedback) anybody have to anything in any of the convention!
And the link to the convention drafts: http://www.navalism.org/index.php?topic=785.0

Borys

Ahoj!
Carthaginan, what you have described in post 13 are no privateers. They are NAVY. They are in the State's service.
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Carthaginian

Quote from: Korpen on April 13, 2007, 04:39:46 PM
WWI was the 'Commerce Raider's Last Hurrah', as it just became too easy to find, track and kill a surface raider with smaller, longer ranged warships as radio and other innovations made 'outrunning the law' a more difficult feat.
A naval commerce raider is not a privateer!!!

Never mix those two together, as that is comparing apples and potatoes.

Naval commerce raiding isn't.
PRIVATE commerce raiding sanctioned by government contract is.
Though the legalities of the two are separate, the tactics and operations are grossly similar. It's like 'partisan guerrillas' versus 'special operations troopers.' The tactics are largely the same, only the way they were brought into the fighting (private citizens fighting for a cause vs. trained soldiers) differs.

Quote from: Borys on April 13, 2007, 05:00:59 PM
Ahoj!
Carthaginan, what you have described in post 13 are no privateers. They are NAVY. They are in the State's service.
Borys

Had the treaty mentioned earlier not banned privateering, they would have been just as effective as navy commerce raiders Borys. That was why I used 'commerce raiding' and 'privateering' interchangeably. Several of the Hilfskreuzers in WWI would have been typical of a more modern privateer, and a couple of them were quite successful.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

P3D

Well, dunno. There was no commerce raiding campaign in the steamship era, that involved fleet of at least comparable size and strategic position. German surface raiders were doomed as first they had to through the GIUK gap, then operate far from bases. In a similar war, but France versus UK we'd have seen much different results.

It does not help to call for friendly warships, when the enemy is operating all over the ocean, with more than a handful of ships, especially when there is at least a few larger commerce raiders around.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Carthaginian

Quote from: P³D on April 13, 2007, 05:27:16 PM

Well, dunno. There was no commerce raiding campaign in the steamship era, that involved fleet of at least comparable size and strategic position. German surface raiders were doomed as first they had to through the GIUK gap, then operate far from bases. In a similar war, but France versus UK we'd have seen much different results.

It does not help to call for friendly warships, when the enemy is operating all over the ocean, with more than a handful of ships, especially when there is at least a few larger commerce raiders around.

Good point... but the case of the Alabama and her Confederate sisters give us a good idea of how a commerce raiding campaign in that alternate WWI might have gone. They were operating all over the world, and the majority of them were eventually caught and sank by Federal warships.

Wireless radio and larger numbers of smaller, cheaper warships would have enabled better tracking and trailing of ships operating like these, and thus enabled larger, more capable warships to be brought to bear faster.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Ithekro

The situation in Navalism in geopolitical terms seems vastly differenet than those of the real world.  While the Swiss might be interested in raiders and the like, they are probably one of the nations most vulnerable to raiders, pirates, and privateers as they are a very spread out country with their primary base of operations being a group of islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  Brandenburg may or may not be blockadeable depending on their civilian needs.  The United Norman Kingdoms are ripe for plunder as they have definate supply lines across the Atlantic Ocean.  Rohan even has a line that can be cut from Rohan to New Beleriand...the Canal is being built remove the second line for warship movements around the Horn...though soon there will still be a line between New Beleriand and "Chile".

Other empires, France included, have long supply and trade lines throughout their colonial holding, and navy power seems more balanced that it would be for the Great War...at least at this point.  France holds the king's crop of warships, but not all the choke points as the Royal Navy did.

A more comparative Jane's Fighting Ships such as was done on the other board might help, at least in terms of numbers if not sizes.

Desertfox

It is because of my position that I am interested in raiders. I have also invested heavily into Cruisers, and thats why most of my ships are fast, have long range, and have wireless. One who can raid knows how to defend against raiding.

As for privateers, I have not used them much because China doesnt have much of a merchant marine.  But I do have a few, Captain Sparrow being one.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

maddox

There is no treaty of Paris concerning privateers.

And the navelism distinction is a pure Public relations one.

if the stories of captain Jack Sparrow and his merry men  or simular get publicly know to the French public, the governement will take a stance.  And with the diplomatic relations still icecold.....

The Rohirrim pirate hunters are known to France, and the new governement doesn't have any problems with those, as the Rohirrim are doing a great job keeping French convoys from Haïti to the Grande Canal safe. French merchants feeling harrased by the still active Gran Colombians or even the occasiona suicidal pirate willingly stray into the Rohirrim patroled waters and endure the extensive, but honorable searches, and the fines included.
Better the Rohirrim than the erratic Gran Colombians is openly said in the establisments in the Carribean ports..

Borys

Quote from: Desertfox on April 13, 2007, 06:21:38 PM
As for privateers, .... But I do have a few, Captain Sparrow being one.
How many? Where?
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Korpen

I think i will order my navy to step up control of suspect ships in the indonesian straits....

khymerion

How close to certain areas of India are these privateers operating?  This might be enough to cause a hand or two to be played.
Hopelessly trapped behind mountains of outdated miniature games.