Maps

Started by Desertfox, March 01, 2007, 05:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

That's what I make of the historical islands.  I'd assume you also have whatever historical Lesser Sunda Islands still exist west and north of that line.  But that's for the mods to clarify - the Navalism map appears to suggest some of those islands are missing.

Ithekro

That would be an inverted Middle Earth, heavily modified by Desertfox with the coastline altered and the Great Lake System added.  Sorry for the oddity.

Timor is intact (maybe slightly expanded.  The islands between Java and Timor seem to be missing with a new island to the south east of Java added in, or possibly one of the larger Lesser Sunda islands shifted over a bit and turned.  There seems to be a small scattering of islands between the enlarged continent and the Dutch East Indies that can be played with since the Navalism Map is at a scale that makes smaller islands hard to show.  It might be some bit of work, but the end result should be intriguing.

Korpen

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on April 11, 2007, 06:23:01 PM

That's what I make of the historical islands.  I'd assume you also have whatever historical Lesser Sunda Islands still exist west and north of that line.  But that's for the mods to clarify - the Navalism map appears to suggest some of those islands are missing.
That part was settled, and no problem.
http://www.navalism.org/index.php?topic=9.msg2425#msg2425
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Korpen

Quote from: Ithekro on April 11, 2007, 08:32:21 PM
That would be an inverted Middle Earth, heavily modified by Desertfox with the coastline altered and the Great Lake System added.  Sorry for the oddity.

Timor is intact (maybe slightly expanded.  The islands between Java and Timor seem to be missing with a new island to the south east of Java added in, or possibly one of the larger Lesser Sunda islands shifted over a bit and turned.  There seems to be a small scattering of islands between the enlarged continent and the Dutch East Indies that can be played with since the Navalism Map is at a scale that makes smaller islands hard to show.  It might be some bit of work, but the end result should be intriguing.
I presumed that most of the oddity comes from the strange projection used in the navsim world map.
That far away from the meridian the map is really lacking in degree correctness. This make the world map kind of useless for details in that area of the world, so i would prefer to leave the historic islands in place, and then try and fit the new continent in relation to them (as that is what i took for granted from day one).

It is easier, and it allows me to use the real world charts of the area i got access to. add to that the fact that have spent quite allot of time reading up on my colonies and all the fricking islands...
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Ithekro

Okay.  How about this using the map Rocky found.  The heavy black line is a rough of the additional continent's land mass while the smaller black lines are the additional islands.

Desertfox

Looking at the Super Chagos, noticed that #4 remains unclaimed...so in the name of the Swiss COnfederacy I hereby claim Tortugas Island.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Ithekro

Four was for India actually..the white area India that is.

The Rock Doctor

And Tortuga is in the Caribbean, of course.

Desertfox

Ah but India doesnt seem to be using it much. ;) An Captain Sparrow needs a Tortugas...

Ithekro

We'll see if and when we get a new player for that region what they think of Captain Sparrow and his like.

Ithekro

A rather rough map of North American Middle Earth.  Outside of this region the world should be normal..the eastern border being the actual Missouri River.

Red spray looking things are mountain ranges at this time.  The farthest one east in the Rocky Mountains.

Confederate borders follow historical borders until they get into California.  California coastline is roughly historical up to Santa Cruz.

And Photobucket shrinks the map quite a lot.  You should be able to read the city names as I could at normal setting, but I guess they shrank it more than I expected.

Ithekro

Comparing to this older Navalism map you should find the same borders for Rohan in the east and south.

Carthaginian

Wow... I own more of California than i thought I did.
Thanks for the map!
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Desertfox

Ithekro, think you could do a rough map of Australia? For geography, I would say the part above the lakes would be hilly jungles, around the lakes farmlands like OTL Great Lakes, south of them savahnna and desert like OTL Australia. That sound about right?

Ithekro

I think my projection from Middle Earth to North America is off.  If the distances I'm finding for Middle Earth are correct, it should be about 425 miles between Isengard and Minas Tirith where as my projection seems to come out to around 192 miles where as Beaver, OK and Pierre, SD are still 530 miles apart on this projection.  So I guess I need to either scale North America to Middle Earth, or I need to scale Middle Earth to North America.