Maps

Started by Desertfox, March 01, 2007, 05:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

Thanks, I shall add that to my map.  Alikchi, Mike - any data to add?

miketr

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on April 08, 2007, 07:04:59 PM
Thanks, I shall add that to my map.  Alikchi, Mike - any data to add?

Add data to what?

Michael

Alikchi

The Ottoman Island (5) is Nimet (meaning "Prosperity").

The Rock Doctor

Mike:  Iberia's been identified as the owner of islands in both the "Super Chagos" archipelago, seen on page 32 of this thread, and of islands in the Chuvosa archipelago, found in the "Map" forum elsewhere.  So if you want any additional geographic data on this islands added to those maps, I need to know.

Desertfox

Of course if your not interested in them, NS would like to buy them... ;)
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Borys

Ahoj!
Peenemunde looks silly in this context. It means "the mouth of the river Peene". And Peene is corrupt Slavic "piana", meaning foam, froth, lather.
Palmhafen?
Silberstrand?
Palmenstrand?
Dunkelholm?
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

miketr

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on April 09, 2007, 11:09:12 AM
Mike:  Iberia's been identified as the owner of islands in both the "Super Chagos" archipelago, seen on page 32 of this thread, and of islands in the Chuvosa archipelago, found in the "Map" forum elsewhere.  So if you want any additional geographic data on this islands added to those maps, I need to know.

AH, ok....  no whatever you drew up is fine.

Michael

swamphen

Quote from: Borys on April 09, 2007, 11:13:59 AM
Ahoj!
Peenemunde looks silly in this context. It means "the mouth of the river Peene". And Peene is corrupt Slavic "piana", meaning foam, froth, lather.
Palmhafen?
Silberstrand?
Palmenstrand?
Dunkelholm?
Borys

Well, you could have a creek on the island, and where it enters the sea could be frothy from the waves, so....

(The choice of name was made considering what Peenemünde is most (in)famous for, and the 'advantages' for certain work of remote ocean locations...and we really need an evil smiley here...  ;D)

Borys

Ahoj!
The thing is that Germans do not know the etimology of that toponimic ... maybe Vogeldreck?

Borys
Bambi must DIE!

miketr

The wonders of tautological place names...

An even more funny example...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpenhow_Hill

"Torpenhow Hill is a hill about 200 metres above sea level in Cumbria in north west England on the side of which the village of Torpenhow is situated, close to the A595 between Cockermouth and Carlisle. The hill is located at grid reference NY206390.

Its main claim to fame is that its name is a tautology; "Tor", "pen", and "how" all mean "hill" in different languages; the first two being Brythonic and the last being Anglo-Saxon. Therefore "Torpenhow Hill" means "Hillhillhill Hill". The theory is that successive residents took the previous residents' name for the hill and added their own word for hill"

A list of more...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tautological_place_names

Michael

Borys

Torpenhow is great! I'm thinking of placing Torpenhowberg or Torpenhowgora somewhere in my domains :)

Borys
Bambi must DIE!

Korpen

Judging from the map i take it Cabinda belongs to Dutch Kongo?
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Korpen

Anybody with more drawing skille then me that can make the first map make sense on the 2nd one?

Navalsim world map.

Real world map of the same area.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

The Rock Doctor

I could make sense of the boundaries between historical land masses; it's the situation south and east of Java that would be a puzzle.

Ithekro, or whomever:  where'd the new chunk of Australia get cut/pasted from?