Maps

Started by Desertfox, March 01, 2007, 05:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithekro

I'd say take the historical losses down the middle and delete the breakup of the New Swiss that was a result of Foxy's leaving the sim for a time (as that didn't make sense at all in or out of character).

The Japanese fought in the north at Korea and maybe Shanghai...Swiss fought in the south at Hong Kong, Hainan, and Taiwan.  The Japan-China problems can be worked out by Phoenix and Walter.   But in the south the Swiss lost Hong Kong and Hainan, but did damage to the Middle Kingdom in the south from Taiwan.  In 1905 the Austrians tried to make ammends with the Taiwanese and Swiss though Rohan, with unknown results.  Take half the loses of the great battle for both sides would be fair I would think (though someone needs to refresh us on who lost what exactly before we can refresh that canon).  Austria's victory in the Pacific was a disaster in the rest of the colonial empire rsulting in the loss of Africian lands.  Austrian and Spains forces forced to pull out of the Pacific due to the civil war and the Taal explosion.  Swiss set about rebuilding their lives with a few less lands, but manage to stabalize part of the wrecked Filipino population and lands.

Incident with Japanese settlement in North America settled by Rohan after staring down a UKA force itching to cross the border in the far north.

Possible independence for half of the Filipinos from Spain under Swiss protection (imperialism).

Rohan contests the purchase of the Virgin Islands in 1905 and would rather have the sale done in 1906 to have storylines ready for use....I assume that was Dutch lands (or would that be Danish/Baltic?)

While this does not get everything back in terms of ships, lands, and prestige to the New Swiss, it does keep the tempo rolling without the jerky stop and split in 1902-1905.  If you could real in your devious side for a few sim years, maybe some of the other nations might actaully trust the Swiss...otherwise Rohan would be within its rights to drive them out of North America like the Chinese drove them off of Asia.

Borys

Ahoj!
I feel I start to see a dim glow at the end of tunnel ...

As to the Danish Virgin Islands - IMO it is up to Khymerian to decide if he wants to sell.

BTW - did Piotrek and Marek ever disclose their tech levels?

Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

BattleofthePyramids

Well, if we are voting on maps, my personal vote is for option two, the map that gives NZ sea access in two directions, instead of a narrow channel connecting the Caspian(?) sea to the Black sea and no access to anything else by sea except via the Dardanelles (which in practical terms means no outside sea access at all).

The only other option, relocating the whole country somewhere with a real coast, well, I would have to re-write the whole history, wouldn't I?

EDITED:  Maybe I spoke too soon, I suppose sea access to the Indian Ocean could be done via a channel or (really large) river, but I still prefer option two.  By the way, are the Ottomans OK with my history?  We would enter the new game as Cold War rivals, but it does not HAVE to turn into a shooting war.

As for the rest, well I hate to sound dim, but are we assuming that a volcano in the Phillipines basically re-drew the map for us?  That would be an - interesting way of accounting for the changes, if nothing else.

Alikchi

How about the area where Uganda is? There's already been some work done with it elsewhere.

http://www.alternatehistory.net/discussion/showthread.php?t=38786

BattleofthePyramids

Uganda is land-locked, is it not?

Borys

Ahoj!
Quote from: BattleofthePyramids on March 08, 2007, 07:50:19 PM
I suppose sea access to the Indian Ocean could be done via a channel or (really large) river
Any suggestions as to suitable river?

QuoteUganda is land-locked, is it not?
Buy NEW FORMULA Uganda today and get one Kenya for FREE!

Borys
Bambi must DIE!

P3D

I'd rather for relocating New Zion after thinking it over. Alikchi's concern about being an island is understood. A river as a way to access the Indian Ocean is not a really good idea.
Uganda and Ruanda/Burundi (and a bit of Kongo) - or Argentina - might be a better idea.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

BattleofthePyramids

OK, let's drop Eurasia NZ.  Make it Argentina would be OK, I guess.  Just delete the exisiting NZ thread, and I will re-write it later.

Borys

Ahoj!
The positive effect is that the subject of cross-Persia sealanes is now dead in the water.
However, I have a question - do we keep West Turkiestan/Great Kazach Chanate/ Silver Horde, or do we merge it back into Muscovy?

Borys
Bambi must DIE!

The Rock Doctor

The space between NZ and the Indian Ocean is liberally adorned with mountain ranges; it'd be tough to plow a river or canal through there.

On the other hand, the Ob and its tributaries are navigable from Omsk northward, with ice-free conditions at Barnaul for a good chunk of the year...just have to ensure NZ encompasses Omsk.

If this is not cool for BotP, perhaps a chunk of coast on the NE Black Sea would be good.  Truncate Georgia and leave it as a buffer state between NZ and Ottomans.  I gather Borys has referenced something along these lines already.

While BotP may not be thrilled at the notion of relocating to ~Argentina, this resident South American has no objection to it if that proves necessary.

Ithekro

Just doing a check of land mass that would be continental Rohan using figures for Middle Earth plus, extra areas (Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota (filling in for half of both Dakotas), Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon Territory, and 2/3rds of the current Northwest Territory....that brings Rohan up to something like 2,897,518 square miles, plus the colony and captured land in Central America.  That about equal to 3/4ths of the United States of America...though not all prime real estate.   I think you could get the roughly 72 million people into that plus the colonies.

Borys

Ahoj!
Looks better.
Borys
Bambi must DIE!

Borys

Ahoj!
BoP gave up, saying that RL does not allow him to play.

Borys
Bambi must DIE!

Desertfox

QuoteI know at least of two moderators who don't like such a sudden increse in industry, and consider the NS industry expansion in Navalism between 1902-1903 retrogradely, to be gamey.
Beleive me you dont want to know how big my infrastructure would be if I had not broken up NS.

Ithekro Im fine with your idea> I dont want to remove theWar because of the damages it caused but mainly because its a bit hard to fit in with NS not in Japan. And do you really want to see the Swiss and Japanese as allies? However I can keep the war thought parts as the Land/Sea Battle of Yantai will have to go. HOwever NS would not have placed so much emphasis on the Chinese War putting more effort on the nearer threat.

The Virgin Islands were bought from the BC. Thats what my ships where doing in the Atlantic.

One point on the map, transfer Maoria to the new land in the South Pacific, thats were it should be anyway, and can explain why Rohan hates Agrival so much. Plus I would like Muslims as my enemy in AUstralia. The Euphrates could link the Perisn GUlf with the Caspian Sea... 
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Desertfox

QuoteTake half the loses of the great battle for both sides would be fair I would think (though someone needs to refresh us on who lost what exactly before we can refresh that canon)
My losses can be found here: http://z4.invisionfree.com/Navalism/index.php?showtopic=2095

A limited Chinese War would mean no Battle of Yantai, or a Battle of Phoenix. My total losses then would be: 1 Olympia class CC, 2 Atlanta class PCs, 1 Alaska class CB, 1 ex-DKB CB, 1 Cod class PC, 3 LCs, 6 DDs, and 3 GBs. However Im going to exchange another Olympia for the German CB (never bought here), and lose 2 more Atlantas to Misc causes. And I still want to re-write the 3rd Battle of Taiwan Strait, mainly for ship story purposes.

Note, that I did not lose the Chinese war, the war became lost because I had to leave, had I not left, NS might by now have all of the Phillipines, and HK and Shangaimight not have been lost.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html