OOT request

Started by Borys, May 18, 2007, 10:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borys

Ahoj!
I am trying to track down the part of the Treaty of Lodon treating concerning Freedom of Navigation on the Scheldt. The examples I found on the web ommit that Article, focusing on the Neutrality clauses and guaranties. Thus I don't know how the article producing this effect:
QuoteNederland moest de toegang tot de haven van Antwerpen over de Westerschelde garanderen
.*
is worded.
My digging through the wikipedia.nl only produced the name - Verdrag van Londen (1839).
Maybe the Belgian or Dutch members of the board can dig up a copy of the Verdrag van Londen (1839)?
Please ...

* - I understand this to mean: Netherlands must the going to the harbour at Antwerp over the West Scheldt guaranty.
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

maddox

This document gives Belgium the free and untaxed, unrestricted use of the river Scheldt.

In short, the rest of the London treaty gives belgium independence from the Netherlands and the UK is standing bail. In short, if France or the Netherlands invade and annex Belgium, the UK will come over and kick ass.

Prussia wasn't a big concern in 1839 it seems. And Germany wasn't united yet.

Phoenix

Hmm... bit of obscure lore actually. Can't seem to find a spot to download the treaty. Here are some quotes I dug up, but it's all in Dutch:

19 april 1839: (Londen) - Scheidingsverdrag van Londen, waarin België en Nederland hun scheiding regelden onder de hoede van de grootmachten van toen. Dit verdag gaf België recht op de IJzeren Rijn: een spoorverbinding tussen Antwerpen en de Rijn in Duitsland, over Nederlands grondgebied. De Antwerpse eis voor een spoorverbinding met het Duitse Ruhrgebied dateerde al van 1831. Het verdrag van 1839 gaf België een recht op doortocht, een internationale erfdienstbaarheid. [Guy Tegenbos: 'Verdrag van 1839 gaf recht op IJzeren Rijn'. DS 13 februari 1998].
    Artikel IX van dit verdrag hield de vrijheid van Scheldevaart in, doch mits betaling van 1 fl. 30 per ton ten voordele van Nederland. Een Belgische wet aangenomen op 8 juni 1839 voorzag in de terugbetaling van deze tol aan alle schepen door de staat, zodat de in- en doorvoerhandel hierdoor niet benadeeld werd. [beet-2n1892, p.133] <zie: 28 oktober 1830, Gendebien = [beet-2n1892, p.132] >
   13 juni 1839: Als gevolg van het Scheidingsverdrag van Londen (19 april) wordt het bevaren van de Schelde onder Belgische vlag vrij verklaard. [beet-2n1892, p.134]. <zie 18 juli 1838, prins de Ligne>
Op 12 mei 1863 kwam tussen Nederland en België een verdrag tot stand inzake de afschaffing van de Scheldetol. Deze tol werd afgekocht voor een éénmalig bedrag van 36.278.566 F. waarvan België één derde voor zijn rekening nam en 20 maritieme mogendheden (waaronder vooral Engeland dat meer dan één vierde betaalde) de rest; een onwaarschijnlijk gebaar van solidariteit.

Encarta may have it, but it's a paid subscription: http://nl.encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_1021550154/Verdrag_der_XXIV_Artikelen.html

Wikipedia has a small entry about it: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdrag_van_Londen_(1839) (Dutch) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_London_%281839%29 (English).
A book I found: Mark Van den Wijngaert and E. Panneels, "Het Verdrag van Londen (19 april 1839)". Brussel, 1979 (Vlekho).

Sorry, all I could find on such short notice.
"Those who dance are often thought mad by those who cannot hear the music."
-- Tao Te Ching

Phoenix

"Those who dance are often thought mad by those who cannot hear the music."
-- Tao Te Ching