Habsburger Schlachtschiffe

Started by Borys, April 08, 2007, 04:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borys

Ahoj!
Why not sim the historical Satsuma?
At the 4000-7000 metre ranges in Navalism, the 4x305 and 12x254 actually is more devastating.
The Second Calibre Main Gun can be expected to penetrate 11 inches at 7000, enough for any Upper Belt, and sufficient to defeate quiet a few Main Belts too.
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Walter

Because as given here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20030630171106/warships1.com/JAPpbb14_Satsuma_specs.htm
.. it was the planned design.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030624200509/warships1.com/JAPpbb14_Satsuma.htm
QuoteThey were the first all-big-gun battleships of the world (12 x 12" guns), when they were laid down in the spring of 1905, but they were completed as pre-Dreadnoughts with a mixed main artillery of 12" and 10" as Japan was nearly financially ruined by the immense costs of the Russo-Japanese war.
... now if Japan has enough money to bribe the Russian Pacific fleet (as was your plan) I would think that there would be enough money to go for the 12x12" guns rather than the mixed 4 x 12" & 12 x 10" guns. That's why I did not sim the historical Satsuma design but the planned Satsuma design (despite that, I did use a historical picture to add to the BB sim in the encyclopedia).

swamphen

Borys - I'm not sure we can use torpedo bulkheads at this point in the sim...

Walter

We can...
Quote1904 Advanced (+1): All-big-gun ship with wing turrets, improved turret hydraulics,
Torpedo Bulkheads

Borys

Ahoj!
Ya, vee primitive topedo bulkheads use can.
Ay do not hav zis tekonologee, but Ay veel in 1911.
Borys
Bambi must DIE!

swamphen

Whoops sorry, since the Tb mention was on the second line my brain skipped right over it.

Walter

Just how a true Firefly should do it. ;D

P3D

As the RN had 13.5" equipped ships with wing turrets on 88' beam, I think there should be no problem putting a TDS into this ship. IMO there's no need for excessive hull strength, either.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Borys

Ahoj!
I was under the impression that the move from 12 to 13,5 inch brought about an all centerline arrangement?
Borys
Bambi must DIE!

Carthaginian

Quote from: Borys on April 08, 2007, 07:46:44 PM
Ahoj!
I was under the impression that the move from 12 to 13,5 inch brought about an all centerline arrangement?
Borys

It did for the British. Not sure that other navies didn't use similar sized guns in wing turrets. Haven't had time to check. First RN ship to mount the 13.5" was the Orion: 5 x twin 13.5", all centerline.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

P3D

My bad, apparently I did not remember correctly that the Orions had all-centerline gun arrangement. And apparently no one else used wing-turrets for guns larger than 12" - Bretagne had all-centerline turrets.
And only UK, Germany, France and Spain build ships with wing turrets AFAIK.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Carthaginian

Yeah, that's the problem that I'm running into right now. 13.5"/45 cal guns need (lengthwise) about 80' of deckspace just to mount the turret and barbette and allow for a clear path of traverse.

Virginia has to have 260' dedicated to only 3x twin 13.5" mounts at deck level. Without superfiring tech, 13.5" guns rapidly become unfeasible unless you only mount a few, or are willing to build a really large ship. Wing turrets really cease to make sense- especially if you want them to cross-deck.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Borys

Ahoj!
I found the much sought for link, which shows RL plans for echelon-turreted, 8x343mm Dutch ship.
Enjoy!
http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl/battleshipplan_1912.html
Borys
Bambi must DIE!

Alikchi

Oh boo Borys. I finally lay down a modern BB and then you trump it within a week.  >:( :P

Nice design. Satsuma is confusing but scary.

Borys

Ahoj!
Alikchi - you laid down. I have "concept studies" ....
You are ahead.
Borys
Bambi must DIE!