General Social/Chatter Thread

Started by The Rock Doctor, May 11, 2020, 02:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

You're caught up in that atmospheric river event?

Kaiser Kirk

Kinda, NorCal not SoCal.  Coastal - if I look out the window at work, I can see the Pacific several blocks away.

Played out more like a good winter storm here than what's going on SoCal.
Only 5-7 inches or so here, don't seem to have had (found) any major landslides, which is a bit surprising as the soil is saturated.

1/4 of the county residents were out of power at one point, and all 3 local highways shut down at times.
Spent the last couple work days checking forest roads to remove fallen trees- but surprisingly few.

Makes me think the wind warning of 95mph gusts was either wrong, or didn't extend to this area. Guessing no more than 50-60mph. So winter storm.
Last time we got winds at that speed (95), we lost a bunch of trees and it just wasn't safe to be working in the woods those days. I tried... had to come back in.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Jefgte

"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

The Rock Doctor

We're having an unusually and unsettlingly mild winter here.  Far less snow than usual, virtually no significant cold.  Lot of worry about plants and bugs getting fooled, breaking dormancy early, and getting clobbered by late storms like we had last April.

TacCovert4

We're having a pretty average winter.  Which is to say it gets to freezing every night,  and sometimes it stays below freezing until lunch 
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on February 06, 2024, 04:31:50 PM
We're having an unusually and unsettlingly mild winter here.  Far less snow than usual, virtually no significant cold. ,,,

While my buddy in Maine is complaining about the Snow, and it's been fairly cold. The attachment on the tractor is broken, and he's tired of the walk-behind blower.

My little area is somewhat between two weather patterns centered ~100mi North and South.  So we get a mix which makes the forecasts shaky.
For Weather, I tend to use a variety of NOAA sites, there's a nice 14 day forecast one, and I rather like Windy.com for a more granular look at the days ahead.
I'll have to take a peek at Ventursky.

TacCovert4

In NC the standard is to wait 5 minutes and the weather will change.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

Kaiser Kirk

Here's more that it may forecast rain, and we wind up showers and patchy sun, or vice versa. Depending if we're getting the Northern edge of a storm from the South, or the Southern edge of a Storm from the North.
Broadly speaking, rains r threatens to from mid-November to mid April, with scattered sunny days. Luckily I like rain. I have good raingear :)
Then we'll have winds. Ick.
Then comes summer, where inland heats up and drags a fog blanket over town two days over three.
Many the day I've been sweltering 10 miles inland in the woods, only to find fog the  first 3 miles from the coast.
Finally fall tends to be nice.

Last/Only time in NC, I discovered my tent was no longer fully waterproof, as I caught a sudden storm in the Great Smokies. Though I may have been in Tennessee there... caught similar in Virginia + heavy gusts. Weather was indeed a bit more varied.  A hurricane had just gone through when I started and so it was very humid in Chattanooga, kinda like NY in the summer. Not my thing.

Knight

Well, I suppose this is Hello again. TacCovert invited me a couple months back, and I've only now been able to get back online, and I was wondering how I could best participate in this Sim.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Knight on February 09, 2024, 09:19:22 PM
Well, I suppose this is Hello again. TacCovert invited me a couple months back, and I've only now been able to get back online, and I was wondering how I could best participate in this Sim.

Welcome back :)

Step one was stopping bye to say Hi again.

Now I'm heading out of town tomorrow, and am pretty busy with Super Bowl Stuff on Sunday,
but the others are helpful and a great resource, it's collaborative thing.

As I recall, we were setting Iberia aside for you, but you are not locked into that.
Iberian history is here : https://www.navalism.org/index.php/topic,8009.0.html

I think getting comfortable with how springsharp works and then being able to design your own ships is important.
So step two I think would be to tinker with some designs.

Even if you don't choose to to play the Iberians, you can use their ships as a training sandbox.
There is an Iberian design thread that lists ship needs and you can post in, and folks will be happy to comment and help improve the designs.
https://www.navalism.org/index.php/topic,8008.0.html

Part of the challenge is looking at other folks ships some, to ensure what you are considering will match up,
but folks will be helpful in sharing information on how that ship matches up.

To try to help both you and Smoke Grenadier, I made a little Springsharp primer, and since none of the others laughed at it, must not be that horrible.
Unfortunately you need to click on the different pages to see them at a readible size...
That's here https://www.navalism.org/index.php/topic,8007.0.html

Though of course sometimes what you are evaluating is if
say 2x 34,000 ton BBs + 2x 8000t Cruisers + 6x 1000t DD  are better/worse to invest in than 2x 45000 BB.
That part comes when you're running the nation and doing budget, but that's not as critical. We've had folks help each other with turns in the past, and the Iberians are pretty caught up, so let's just focus on getting you comfortable with Springsharp :)

Iberian guns are :

Partial List                  
                  Naval Weapons                  
Gun   Tech Year      Mountings                           
          True Quad   Quad   3G   Triple   2G   Twin   Single   Casement   Octuple   
405/50   1920      T       T       T                
405/50   1915      T       T       T                
405/45   1910      T             T                
250/55   1915            T       T                
205/55   1915            T       T                
155/55   1915            T       M&H               
155/50   1910                     T, M&H            
120/50   1915                  M&H   M&H   M   C       
120/50 AA   1915                        M         
100/50 QF   1905                        M   C       
75/55 AA   1920                  M&H       M&H          
75/55 QF   1920                          M   C       
75/55 QF   1915                         M   C       
75/55 AA   1915                     M&H   M          
57/50 QF   1910                        M, M&H   C       
37/60  AA   1915      M                M          M&H   
25/90 AAMG   1915      M                M    M   C       
15/90 MG   1910                        M   C       

The

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: Knight on February 09, 2024, 09:19:22 PM
Good to see you back, let me know if I can help in any way.

Kaiser Kirk

Sorry been quiet.
Daylight Savings time change always mucks me up.
And I start "practicing" by having the alarm go off early
well in advance, but this past Sunday's change in time
did not go well...which is typical for me- and apparently common
in "Night Owls"...which I am

The Rock Doctor

It's just the absolute worst thing, really.

Kaiser Kirk

I agree.

Staying up late..or all night, pretty easy. Makes working night shift on big wildfires easy.

Put getting up just an hour early just wrecks me for a while.

The Rock Doctor

Yeah, I was up at six Tuesday and Wednesday for office commutes and was not feeling it at all.

I'm sure there isn't a single living soul in Canada who likes it, but the politicians seem to think there will be economic damage if we abolish it and America doesn't.