General Social/Chatter Thread

Started by The Rock Doctor, May 11, 2020, 02:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

Back from a week-long road trip that was entirely unrelated to ships except for the book I bought on an aborted Lake Huron - Ottawa River canal proposal from a century or so back.  Gonna have to see how the route compares to map ownership in the N-verse.

Kaiser Kirk

Welcome back.
I've been eyeing the Caspian-Indian ocean canal ideas myself.
I wonder how much they would cost in Navalism terms,
but then I hit that time/energy/priority/laziness nexus and it stops.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

The Rock Doctor

Out of curiosity, at what point are we bringing transom sterns into the equation?

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on August 03, 2023, 07:04:43 PM
Out of curiosity, at what point are we bringing transom sterns into the equation?
...as he notes that his version of springsharp doesn't factor transom sterns into the math anyway, regardless of what is clicked.

Kaiser Kirk

Good question.

I really don't know what Snip was intending.

My version of SS does modify hull strength when I click transom off and on.
And I get different results with 'Large' and 'small'.

I believe one of my Battleship books mentions the first that had a transom, which might have been HMS Nelson.
but I don't know about cruisers and when it popped up there.

For now, lets just say no earlier than 1929... so folks can move on while we try to figure that one out.

The Rock Doctor

So we have "primitive DP" guns under the Capital Ship tech but nothing specified for other ship techs or the naval artillery tech.

Do I have to wait to finish the capital ship tech before I can design the guns, or can I have them ready to introduce on new ships as soon as the cap ship tech is done?

If we get around to a rules fix, there might be better tech spots to fit DP under.

Kaiser Kirk

The presumption I'm running under is that where things are called out in one tech tree - that's the 'unlock' tech for others.
So one must have that DP tech from the Capital ships before you can design such guns or introduce them on cruisers or elsewhere.

The Rock Doctor

The Rock Doctor

Mildly cool that we passed 100,000 total posts within the last few days, nice job folks.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on August 12, 2023, 07:56:41 AM
Mildly cool that we passed 100,000 total posts within the last few days, nice job folks.

Hey you're 10% of those !
Get cranking so we can hit 200k !

The Rock Doctor

Stupid statistic of the day:

There are 1,015 vessels in service with the Vilnius Union as of 31/12/1927.  That includes auxiliaries.

They have a total light displacement of 1,269,666 t (counting auxiliaries at full displacement.

That means the average light displacement of a Union ship is 1,251 t.

Kaiser Kirk

That reminds me I haven't done the 'colony count' for a bit.
Just jammed for time.

But that was one of the things it reported- Warship and Aux tonnage per  Empire.

As of ..well 7/1/27... Comparable Parthian would be something like
1,493,665 total light tonnage
1206 vessels
1238/vessels

I have a nearly 200 Aux ships with over 250,000 tons that boost that.

The Rock Doctor

I should probably sort my spreadsheet and see what the mean tonnage is.  I suspect half my ships are under 500 tonnes. 

Kinda illustrates that even commanding a destroyer is a bit of a big deal for an officer.

TacCovert4

It's one thing I've tried to show with the sultanate after ironclad bay.  The loss of so many senior officers putting much more responsibility in the hands of a new generation.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

Kaiser Kirk

I would bet my fleet is far more elderly than either of yours. I have a number of ships from the 1890s still in service.

Quote from: TacCovert4 on August 12, 2023, 03:34:05 PM
It's one thing I've tried to show with the sultanate after ironclad bay.  The loss of so many senior officers putting much more responsibility in the hands of a new generation.

That could be a positive :)

I had intended to follow the commander of an elderly cruiser as she promoted through the ranks,
and that would be my avenue to expound on naval theory and building choices.
... no time. She got 1 story right in the beginning, that's all.

The Emperor was the infrastructure angle- competent long sighted administration,
while Vache was the land military side.
Shirin was to have some stories, but I thought it likely she'd be shipped off to Walter for him to direct.