General Social/Chatter Thread

Started by The Rock Doctor, May 11, 2020, 02:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaiser Kirk

Sorry, unexpectedly was absent...
normally I try to announce ahead of time,
but I expected I could use the Hotel Wi-fi..but it was full and so I could not get on.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

The Rock Doctor

No worries.

Largely pre-occupied with other priorities myself at the moment, other than the age-old question of WHAT NEW SHIP DO I BUILD IN 1934.

Kaiser Kirk

I have some 1934 designs, not that many though.

The ~1930 fire control and AA upgrades led to several new classes,
which I will be building for a couple years.

The cruiser changes are most likely to spur new vessels, which may
be adaptations of the old.

The Rock Doctor

Yeah, the prospect of transoms in 1935 definitely makes me hesitant to commit to some of the faster vessels I could lay down in 1934.

Kaiser Kirk

I haven't tried exploring destroyers. Both the 'Lion' and 'Fox' classes are just entering series production after their lead ships have done trials.

I have enough challenges with hitting that 50% and making them suitable for deep-ocean crossings as well. I really want to have 1.0+, even though 0.76 is acceptable for shorter ranged destroyers. I am unsure how adding a transom effects that without making seakeeping more of an issue.
It might make dusting off my old 'Coastal Destroyer' series worthwhile. 

The cruisers, the combination of turrets and transom is something I need to explore further. I've adapted the USS Cleveland design to feature a couple different types of Parthia's armanent, and it's intriguing. So lots to explore.

The carriers...not terribly effected. Big and with so many other weights. Mainly need to chase down the roots of our armored box carrier design, as I expect the deck presumes a Main Deck of X thickness and a Hanger floor of X/2, which would explain that formula and mean a line of clarification is needed. 

Capital ships - probably will effect my next AC/BC most. The Xiyons will benefit from the transom, but The more I look at the Dahae the less I like the tradeoffs, and Jefgte's response is superior so it will not be directly copied.

The Rock Doctor

A bit distracted here with social thingies.

More distracting, though - we appear to be acquiring a teenager.  Her parents just separated, her mom doesn't have room in her new place for all eight kids, and she doesn't want to stay with her father.  She's taken care of our place and our animals the last couple of summers when we do vacations, she considers Mrs. Rock a second mom, and we get along pretty well, so we've offered her a spot to land and she might be here for a couple of years.

Don't think I'll convince her to take up Springsharp, though, sorry. 

Jefgte

QuoteMore distracting, though - we appear to be acquiring a teenager.  Her parents just separated, her mom doesn't have room in her new place for all eight kids, and she doesn't want to stay with her father.  She's taken care of our place and our animals the last couple of summers when we do vacations, she considers Mrs. Rock a second mom, and we get along pretty well, so we've offered her a spot to land and she might be here for a couple of years...

Taking care of animals is an activity that changes your mind and soothes you.
Taking in a teenager is a gesture that honors you.
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Kaiser Kirk

Big changes, and Jefgte put it very well.
Well done.

The Rock Doctor

In other exciting news, the wife has COVID and my nostrils are tingly.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on September 03, 2024, 06:09:32 PMIn other exciting news, the wife has COVID and my nostrils are tingly.

You have to work on your encore performances.

The Rock Doctor

Getting an eye lasered tomorrow and that might keep me offline for a bit, I dunno.

TacCovert4

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on September 23, 2024, 11:18:25 AMGetting an eye lasered tomorrow and that might keep me offline for a bit, I dunno.

Like rangefinding layered?

Or are you now going to be able to shoot down drones?

J/k.  Get well soon
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

Jefgte

QuoteGetting an eye lasered tomorrow and that might keep me offline for a bit, I dunno.

Byzantium has new hospital ships since 1933...but, I don't have laser technology, sorry.

Get well soon.
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on September 23, 2024, 11:18:25 AMGetting an eye lasered tomorrow and that might keep me offline for a bit, I dunno.

Sounds better than a sharp stick to the eye ...

Have...fun ?
Um, how about best fortune and speedy recovery !

The Rock Doctor

Now I understand what Alderaan felt like.