Possible Swiss Cruiser for 1906

Started by Desertfox, April 01, 2007, 08:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P3D

Earl,

look at all the historical cruiser designs, and point me one that had triple TTs before 1912.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Carthaginian

Quote from: Earl822 on April 24, 2007, 01:24:34 PM
I changed my post when I realised it didn't make sense. :-[

It made great sense- after all, most developments don't come in small, measures steps that have some kind of logical pattern... they generally come in hugely expensive blunders or massively massive successes.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Earl822

none, but no destroyer had them before about 1920

Desertfox

If its by the rules then I can, as I have 1910, CL tech but 1904 DD tech.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

P3D

And? Cutting Edge cruiser architecture is about allowing twin gun mounts, nothing more.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Ithekro

Basic question:  Why would anyone need triple torpedo mounts on a cruiser...in this day and age.  At the ranges we are talking about fighting in and the effective ranges of torpedes (the real effective ranges, not how far they can go) it is likely that enemy gunfire will hit the torpedoes on deck and cause a nice secondary explosion before you are in killing range with your torpedoes.  Most cruisers of this era have either submerged tubes, casemate mounted tubes, above water tubes like the submerged tubes, or maybe destroyer like mounts.

The unfortunate fact, is that a torpedo on a cruiser is usually deadlier to the cruiser it is mounted on than to en enemy vessel.  There are more chances of getting a critical hit that takes out the torpedoes than there are chances to use the torpedoes and score a hit with them in most gaming systems of this time period that use critical hits.  Second World War games are a little different in that torpedoes are more reliable and have greater range, but still most of the time you don't get as effective of a result as you might want with even huge spreads of torpedoes from that era's destroyers.

Korpen

Quote from: Ithekro on April 24, 2007, 03:29:55 PM
The unfortunate fact, is that a torpedo on a cruiser is usually deadlier to the cruiser it is mounted on than to en enemy vessel.  There are more chances of getting a critical hit that takes out the torpedoes than there are chances to use the torpedoes and score a hit with them in most gaming systems of this time period that use critical hits.  Second World War games are a little different in that torpedoes are more reliable and have greater range, but still most of the time you don't get as effective of a result as you might want with even huge spreads of torpedoes from that era's destroyers.
I have often seen reference to torpedoes being dangerous for the ship carrying them, but i only example i can really find is from some world war 2 Japanese cruisers, and then it was more the fact that the torpedoes were filled with liquid oxygen then anything else. So were does it come from?
A hit on a torpedo  tube is far from likely to detonate the torpedo, most of the time it seems the torpedoes would simply be blown to pieces.

One reason that torpedoes were mounted in single tubes were that they were seen as "sniper" weapons rather then the spread weapons that became (for surface ships).
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

P3D

I think a wet-heater torpedo has enough flammable liquid to be set on fire by the high temperatures accompanying a blast. Never mind the 50-100kg warheads.

Korpen

Quote from: P³D on April 24, 2007, 04:25:38 PM
I think a wet-heater torpedo has enough flammable liquid to be set on fire by the high temperatures accompanying a blast. Never mind the 50-100kg warheads.
In theory maybe, but i have yet to find more then one case. There a few cases in ww2 were brittish cruisers got their tubes blown to pices without the charges going off.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Desertfox

I can easily go with 4 twin mounts but I thought 2 triples would be better. New Switzerland beleives in torpedoes. I have suffered and at the same time use them succesfully. All my ships up to Heavy Cruiser size have them and will have them even if its a bit risky. The triples as I mentioned before where the first triples to be introduced in NS service, a big gun cruiser is a better experimental plataform than a small destroyer which relies on the torpedo as its main armament.

And like you said there are no cruisers with triples before 1912, and no DDs before 1920. So if triple torpedo mounts appeared 8 years before in cruisers than destroyers and I can build such a destroyer in 1910 then a cruiser laid down 1907 is well whithin historical limits especially as a trials plataform.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html