Main Menu

Issues on connectivity

Started by Logi, July 23, 2016, 11:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logi

Just a heads up to everyone, but I haven't been able to connect to the site for a few days now. I've been using a proxy to redirect for the time being as I suspect it's a problem with my ISP. However, if the issue doesn't clear up in a few more days I'll have to look into more permanent solution. I'll be a lot slower to process rolls and new rules in the meantime.

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: Logi on July 23, 2016, 11:26:12 PM
Just a heads up to everyone, but I haven't been able to connect to the site for a few days now. I've been using a proxy to redirect for the time being as I suspect it's a problem with my ISP. However, if the issue doesn't clear up in a few more days I'll have to look into more permanent solution. I'll be a lot slower to process rolls and new rules in the meantime.

I've had similar issues for, I dunno, three or four days.

Tanthalas

Best of luck yall, I have had no issues thus far.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Walter

One time, about 4-5 days ago, I had some issues that I could not connect for a short period of time (about half an hour or so). Occasionally when refreshing the page, I get a page that says that the connection was reset, but another refresh solves that.

Jefgte

Same thing for me for an evening connection.

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Guinness

I just posted a banner. The webhost tells me the shared webhost is under a DDOS attack, which they are combatting. They also took the opportunity to try to upsell me for more expensive services, which does not make me happy.

So after an entertaining conversation with the help desk about DDOS mitigation (a subject I know quite a bit about), I'm looking at other options. The transition would likely take a few days no matter what I end up doing, which might mean having to make the forum read-only for a day. I'll post an update when I figure out more.

I'm a little bit sad about this, as this site has been on that host for, if I'm counting correctly, about 8 years with no issues until now.

Guinness

Logi and Snip: you should have my email address if you need to contact me directly, right?

Kaiser Kirk

Sad to hear,
Thanks for the update.

Quote from: Guinness on July 27, 2016, 08:14:16 AM
I just posted a banner. The webhost tells me the shared webhost is under a DDOS attack, which they are combatting. They also took the opportunity to try to upsell me for more expensive services, which does not make me happy.

So after an entertaining conversation with the help desk about DDOS mitigation (a subject I know quite a bit about), I'm looking at other options. The transition would likely take a few days no matter what I end up doing, which might mean having to make the forum read-only for a day. I'll post an update when I figure out more.

I'm a little bit sad about this, as this site has been on that host for, if I'm counting correctly, about 8 years with no issues until now.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Guinness

Update: I'm still not able to access the site at all from home. I was able to pull backups today, which I can use to mock up the site somewhere else. I'm going to proceed with that as an academic exercise, but if this doesn't ease in the next few days, I'll start working on a plan in earnest to move it.

The good news is: the way that the infrastructure and DNS setup is done, a migration should be doable in just a few hours, and not the days I'd feared.

I'll post more news to this thread as I get down the road.

Tanthalas

Thanks for the update mate, glad to hear it wont be as horrible as you had thought previously.  I am still not having any issues connecting (oh the Irony of me who normally has every connection issue in the world being more or less unaffected by this one).

Quote from: Guinness on August 01, 2016, 08:07:57 AM
Update: I'm still not able to access the site at all from home. I was able to pull backups today, which I can use to mock up the site somewhere else. I'm going to proceed with that as an academic exercise, but if this doesn't ease in the next few days, I'll start working on a plan in earnest to move it.

The good news is: the way that the infrastructure and DNS setup is done, a migration should be doable in just a few hours, and not the days I'd feared.

I'll post more news to this thread as I get down the road.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Jefgte

Thanks for your time & your work.

;)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Guinness

I haven't had any connectivity issues the last few days, and more importantly I can fetch regular backups again, so I think the storm may have passed. This is good, because I'm lazy and didn't want to have to make changes ;-)

Logi

I got connectivity back around two weeks ago, but things have gotten quite busy for me. I think it should clear up enough for me to make a decision on the cruiser rules & push out my missing sim reports this weekend.