Main Menu

1904H2

Started by snip, March 20, 2016, 08:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snip

Hello everyone, Im here with two requests regarding moving to 1904H2. First, could everyone (myself included) please make a reasonable effort to get all caught up to your 1904/H1 reports within the next week or two? If you have already done so, that's cool. If you need a large amount of additional time, please let us know. Second, I ask that you all hold off on posting your 1904/H2 reports for a little bit. Darman and I have been working on a event that takes place during late 1904H1 which is going to shake up quite a lot of things. In order for our knowledge of the event to not provide us with any unfair advantage, this is a formal request not to push beyond that point. Feel free to prep your reports, but please don't post them. As soon as Dar and I get a little pow-wow time, I will try and post a little sneak peak.

Thanks!
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Kaiser Kirk

Okey Dokey.
I will continue with my news this week.
I have sims for 03H1, 03H2, 04H1, and 04H2 mostly complete and should be able to finish them all.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

The Rock Doctor

Sounds like it's time to build that Empire-sized bunker I was sketching out.

miketr

I can spit out 1904 H1 and H2 as soon as I get my tech die rolls.

Michael

Walter

QuoteSounds like it's time to build that Empire-sized bunker I was sketching out.
"Empire-sized bunker" being citadels along your borders with 1 meter in between the citadels? :)

Since I have what I need to know, I have been thinking about creating and posting the H2/1904 report the last few weeks. Guess I will have to wait a bit longer before doing that.

snip

And here is your teaser.

The death of HMS Iris

Deep in the bowels of the Eclipse class cruiser HMS Iris, Warrant Officer Sweeney Douglass pulled as hard as he could on a valve as the massive engine screamed in protest. "Hold together you bastard!" He attempted to yell over the the chugging boom-hiss of the pistons. The engine did not quiet down in response. Sweeney threw all his strength into the valve, to no further avail. In spite of all the noise, the boom of guns could still be heard, if faintly. Clearly something on the surface had gone horribly wrong.

Sweeney reached out to passing Midshipman and horsecollored him into shooting range. "Get forward and try to loosen the auxiliary release vent, or we are going to lose a piston!" The midshipman nodded in responce and ran off forward. Sweeney continued fighting with the valve. Then a new sound grabbed Sweeney's attention. A loud, but muffled frump from forward. Sweeney hardly had time to ponder the noise before a thunderous explosion sent a shockwave through the engine room that slammed Sweeney into the bulkhead. Mercifully, the impact killed him as the reciprocating engine shredded itself into thousands of pieces and filled the engine room with splinters for the matter of seconds before the boilers in the next compartment burst and HMS Iris was unable to contain the explosion any longer and burst apart.

Across the water, the bridge of the USS Kearsarge filled with cheers as the Royal Navy cruiser exploded.
-Siegfried Sassoon

The Rock Doctor

It's gonna suck to be Canada.

olekit24

A little victorious war?

Walter

Britain is going to show those pesky United Staters that they were lucky to get the Draw of 1812, being that they were quite busy in Europe with France back then. Now there is no France to distract them. Britain will have its revenge. :)

miketr

:o  Seriously?!

UK vs USA

:o

Tanthalas

Have totally known it was coming since the start.  USA wants its Damn Hat... although I argued it should get some pants first.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Walter

Actually, thinking of it, Canada is a serious threat to the US. ;D

snip

O the speculation is fun.  :P
-Siegfried Sassoon

Darman

snip

I'm going to put a damper on some of the speculation and reveal a few more little tidbits plus the reasons why we are doing this. First of, this is not the start of a major war between the US and UK. We are not saying it wont ever happen, but the current story is going to be a contained set of events. Second, its not just cruisers involved in this battle, there are battleships which may or may not be sunk. Third, the events leading up to this can best be described as "international dickwaving" taken to an illogical extreme and cooler heads will retake control after some ships get sent to the bottom of the Gulf of Maine.

As to the question of why, its a two part answer. First, Darman and I wanted to show that the relationship between the US and UK will not be anywhere close to the same as OTL. There has been some behind the scenes talk, but we figured a huge public event would be best. Second, it was also felt that it would be useful to have some sort of Tsushima analog as various nations are drawing very close to Dreadnaughts. However, we are taking some care to structure the outcome in such a way that it is not readily clear that MMB is on its own inferior, but in combination with other factors it is as we know some players would like to continue with MMB for a time after dreads show up.

Any questions?
-Siegfried Sassoon