United State of America: 1903H1

Started by snip, January 24, 2016, 03:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snip

See Attached, but the Highlights are...

--Laid down three all-big-gun battleships.
--Laid down handful of turbine destroyers.
--Laid down first turbine cruiser.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Walter

I tried a couple of times to load this attachment but am unable to get it to work. I was wondering what makes this xlsx file different from the previous ones you posted as well as the ones posted by others. Now I use a converter to be able to read the xlsx files with Excel 2003, but this one is the first one where I get a "converter failed to save the file" and not opening in Excel.

Walter

snip

-Siegfried Sassoon

Walter

I use Microsoft Open XML Converter on my PC which allows me to open the Excel 2007 workbooks in Excel 2003... except the H1/03 and H2/03 reports. Something in these two reports is different from your previous ones and the ones posted by other players using the xlsx format since I have no issues at all opening all those other files.

I looked at it with someone else's computer which uses Excel Starter 2010 which did open the file but that Excel indicated that there is an issue with it, stating that there is "unreadable content" in the file and it might be that content that prevents the converter from opening the it on my computer. :(

Kaiser Kirk

Works in open office.
He's trying to sneak through a $.002  deficit, which if allowed will obviously shake the pillars of the universe !
otherwise he's spending his large research budget to research a bunch of things well in advance. Which seems horribly uneconomical, but since he can obviously afford it, I will just sit and be envious.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

snip

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on May 09, 2016, 11:26:24 PM
Works in open office.
He's trying to sneak through a $.002  deficit, which if allowed will obviously shake the pillars of the universe !
otherwise he's spending his large research budget to research a bunch of things well in advance. Which seems horribly uneconomical, but since he can obviously afford it, I will just sit and be envious.

Google Sheets seems content to hide that under the currency format I put on the cells, will make sure its made up in the 1904H1 report.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Walter

I went and saved them into a different format so I can look at them without having to annoy someone else.

Since it looks more clean with the reference tables on a different tab, I decided to fill it in for China. However the fortress upkeep did not match with the old report and it was then that I noticed a fairly major error in the spreadsheet and it looks like it might be present in reports prior to H3 as well.

On the "Forts, Siege Arty, Cst. Defense" tab, the formula at the bottom of the forts part for cost are "=SUM(I11:I19)", "=SUM(L11:L19)" and "=SUM(M11:M19)". This means that costs of only 9 of the 43 forts are calculated as the formulas should be "=SUM(I11:I53)", "=SUM(L11:L53)" and "=SUM(M11:M53)" respectively.

Those evil American politicians! 80% of their fortress troops are not being paid! They should mutiny! :D

snip

Ya, that happened. Fixing for 1904
-Siegfried Sassoon

Walter

Looking through the reports prior to 1903, this is an issue throughout all of them, so adding everything up the US government needs to pay 11.12 million USD (8x$1.39=$11.12) to the poor sods manning the fortresses and their starving families.

... that might be almost as evil as letting those questionable Italian blankets fall into the hands of those African natives. :)

snip

Its already been corrected for the 1904 reports and the backpay is in for H2.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Walter

A lot of good that will do to those people who are dying of starvation because they are not getting paid while a bunch of evil US politicians are stuffing themselves with all kind of tasty food. :D

*goes to support Britain in their struggle against the Evil Western Menace* ;D

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: snip on May 10, 2016, 08:00:51 AM
Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on May 09, 2016, 11:26:24 PM
Works in open office.

Google Sheets seems content to hide that under the currency format I put on the cells, will make sure its made up in the 1904H1 report.

Don't worry about it, we shouldn't be concerned with 2 thousandths of a $ either way. :)

Walter

Good sir, that is not 2 thousandths of a $, but actually 2,000 USD which was probably a fortune for the common folk in 1904 and it is the equivalent of about 53,200 USD today. :)

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Walter on May 18, 2016, 09:50:11 PM
Good sir, that is not 2 thousandths of a $, but actually 2,000 USD which was probably a fortune for the common folk in 1904 and it is the equivalent of about 53,200 USD today. :)
Well if you recall our discussion, from the cost and tonnage of the OTL USS Kearsarge, $N1 = 1898 $US 450,000 . So *.002 = $900 in that day's money.
And I don't think we need to track that amount  8)