Today November the 9th, 25 years ago

Started by Nobody, November 09, 2014, 12:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobody

the (Berlin) wall fell. Which marks the beginning of the end of the cold war/Iron Curtain.

I was wondering:
- do you remember that day, and
- is this worth mentioning in your international news, wherever that may be?

Kaiser Kirk

I remember watching the news coverage that night. Germans disassembling the wall.  I didn't know quite what to make of events.
I do find it sorrowful that the fears of WWIII have been replaced by lesser fears of lunatics with bombs, and that county after country get torn apart by civil wars. World is different, but almost seems more war torn now.

edit : And it is in the local paper here in Northwest California.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

The Rock Doctor

I don't remember it very well.  Perhaps kind of odd for a teenager who watched the news, but I just don't recall the actual event.

It's a fairly high profile news item in Canada.  Among the top stories on the newspaper pages, and an item on the radio.

Guinness

I was in Berlin for work Thursday and Friday. I slept, oh, about 3 meters from the course of the wall. The company office there is in Mitte about a block from the wall in the old East. It was sort of neat to be there Friday. The light balloon idea was cool.

I do remember when the wall fell. I was in high school. It was on CNN and we had cable in the classroom (which was a bit of a thing back then) so our history teacher turned on the coverage, but I think that was the Friday (the night after), when most of the partying started.

It's funny, I work with quite a few Easties. They still have a different perspective.

Darman

I was only a year old... so no I don't remember. 

ctwaterman

I was in College studing of all things US and Soviet Foreign Policy.   So the Rapid collapse of the old Soviet Union was a shock to many of my professors and watching as the wall in Berlin was torn down while the East German Police just stood back and watched and then participated was something many of us who had grown up in the 1960 and 1970 had never expected to see.

And yes it made the National News Here.

Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

snip

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

The Rock Doctor

Nobody

An interesting insight.

As for me, I was in grade/primary school. Didn't know what was going on for a couple more years, and by then it was already normal.

Guinness

Darman

The Rock Doctor

You can't expect me to remember things at this age.