You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

Events of Public Record: October, November, December

October
--AT&T creates the Department of Long-Distance Lines.
--Phi Mu Alpha is founded in New York.
--An 8.3 magnitude earthquake strikes off the Alaskan coast, but no major damage is caused.
--The Wright Brothers conduct several tests of a glider in North Carolina. The most outstanding accomplishment is when the glider finally flies free of a restraining derrick.
--The Hall of Fame for Great Americans inducts its initial class, headlined by George Washington who garnered 97 out of a posible 100 votes. Only 51 were needed to admit.
--Major General Leonard Wood, at this time serving as the military governor of Cuba, provides Major Walter Reed with additional funding and other resources to investigate whether Yellow Fever is spread by mosquitos. (OOC Note: This will be useful in Panama )
--Alexander McKenzie is arrested in Alaska after securing a Federal judgeship with the intent purpose of exploiting the position to make millions of dollars in the Alaskan gold fields.
--The coal miners strike in Pennsylvania ends with the owners agreeing to a 10% raise for all miners.
--The perpetrator of the largest bank robbery in the United States up until the time is caught. Cornelius L. Alvord, Jr. used his position as a teller to embezzle $700,000.
--An explosion at the Tarrant & Company pharmaceutical warehouse destroyed two city blocks in New York, killing 38 people and injuring more than 200. At about 12:45 pm, thirty minutes after a fire began on the upper floors, a blast that leveled the seven-story building at 275 Washington Street, and destroyed eight surrounding stores.
--The results of the 1900 census are published.

November
--The Automobile Club of America holds the first car show in the United States in Maddison Square Garden.
--Jokichi Takamine applies for the first patent on a synthetic human hormone. The chemist developed a form of epinephrine.
--William McKinley is re-elected to the presidency. He defeated William Jennings Bryan 292 electoral votes to 155.
--Leonard Wood calls the Cuban Constitutional convention to order (OOC Note: And this is likely where the similarities will end.)
--Engineer Benjamin Holt applies for a patent on what is called the "Caterpillar" track.
--The War Department announces that the Department of Porto Rico would be discontinued, leading to an end of the military occupation of the former Spanish colony.
--Valdemar Poulsen of Denmark pattens the telegraphone. The device stores voice recordings on a piano wire. The sound was recored and played back by a magnet.
--Andrew Carnegie donates one million dollars to the establishment of a university. (OOC Note: modern Carnegie Mellon University)
--After successfully testing the guns set to equip the Maine class battleships, Indian Head Proving Ground is made the official testing ground of the United States Navy's artillery. (OOC Note: Adjusted for N-verse events)
--Baylor University College of Medicine opens.
--Four late season tornados touch down across Mississippi and Tennessee killing 30.
--U.S. Senator Cushman K. Davis fully recovers from a injury sustained during the presidential campaign (OOC Note: A small change, in OTL he dies due to this injury.)

December
--The United States and Nicaragua signed a treaty, subject to approval, giving the U.S. exclusive rights to construct and operate the Nicaraguan Canal (OOC Note: Historic event, still unsure of what sort of canal I will aim at)
--Cheasapeake and Ohio Railroad Company v. Kentucky is decided by the Supreme Court. In a 8-1 decision, the court upholds a state law requiring segregation based on race on all trains passing through the state.
--The seeds of United States Steel are sowed at a dinner party in New York. Charles M. Schwab outlines his vision to the guests, including JP Morgan, Andrew Carnegie, and John Warne Gates.
--John J. Moran volunteers to be the man bitten by infected mosquitos in a scientific experiment to prove Yellow Fever is transmitted by blood and not air. Moran and two other men, both of whom are wearing protective mesh, are sealed in a room with infected mosquitos. Only Moran contracts Yellow Fever, as he was the only one bitten. Moran would survive the infection.
--Reginald Fessenden conducts the first public test of Amplitude Modulation radio.
--The last horse-drawn public transit is taken out of service in Boston. Elevated trains and electric street cars replace the animal powered carts.
--John Philip Sousa conducts his band at the celebration of the new year in New York City. 1901 is welcomed with big band and fireworks after a dimming of the city's electric lights.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Walter

QuoteThe perpetrator of the largest bank robbery in the United States up until the time is caught. Cornelius L. Alvord, Jr. used his position as a teller to embezzle $700,000.
One down, quite a few more to go...
QuoteHistoric event, still unsure of what sort of canal I will aim at
Like this?

;D

The Rock Doctor

Guess it's a question of experience versus novelty.

snip

Norfolk Virginia, December 22nd, 1900.

Esmond Merrick laughed heartily at a joke told by a former shipmate. The reunion of the USS Cayuga had always been a grand affair, and this time was no different. The only people who were not near old enough to have been involved in the action off New Orleans where the wait staff. Esmond had met with Caleb earlier along with Stephanie. With some persuading, he had managed to get the two out for dinner together. He had, of course, arranged to pay for it.

One of his shipmates, on setting down his drink, ask "So Esmond, do tell what that lovely daughter of yours is up to?"

"Well" Esmond sipped his own drink before continuing. "She is currently out with a rather dashing young Navy officer. I daresay she actually likes this man."

The same shipmate responded with gusto. "Look at the proud papa! Gents, I think we need to start taking bets on how long until old Esmond here becomes a Grandfather." The table roared with laughter.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: snip on December 11, 2014, 07:01:23 PM
Events of Public Record: October, November, December

While you posted this quite some time ago, I didn't really have the time to delve into it.
Interesting tidbits as always.
I recently looked up the bit about Moran as I'm suddenly interested in African diseases
and the bit on Davis makes me wonder.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

snip

Events of Public Record: January, February, March

January:
--Bethel Bible College in Topeka, Kansas hosts a prayer meeting that gives birth to what will become Pentecostalism.
--The commissioner of the US Census predicts that the population of the nation will be more then 300 million in the year 2001 (OOC Note: Historical)
--An outbreak of Typhoid Fever occurs in Seattle, Washington. The outbreak began in one of the city's jails.
--Beaumont, Texas sees the first great discovery of oil in the state at Spindletop. The resulting gusher on the rig headed by Anthony F. Lucas heralded the start of the Texas oil boom.

February:
--The legislature of Hawaii convenes for the first time since annexation.
--US Steel is formally incorporated by JP Morgan. US Steel is the first billion dollar corporation.
--Fire causes $175,000 in damages to Evansville, Indiana.

March:
--The Plat Amendment passes both houses of Congress. The amendment places limits on the government of Cuba that must be met to see the withdrawal of occupying US Army forces.
--William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt are sworn in as President and Vice President of the United States.
--Patrick Donahoe, publisher of The Pilot dies. The paper is the foremost publication for Catholics in Boston.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

Events of Public Record: April, May, June

April:
--New York begins requiring licence plates for automobiles, the first state to do this.

May:
--Jacksonville, Florida is decimated by a large fire.
--E. H. Harriman works to corner the market on Northern Pacific Railway in consort with other investors. The action causes a panic on the New York stock exchange. While Harriman is able to use the event to form a holding company to enforce control over the railroads he owns, the company is later broken up by anti-trust regulations.
--Edison Storage Battery Company is founded to make Nickle-Iron batteries.

June:
--Cuba becomes an official protectorate of the United States.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

Buffalo, New York. September 6th, 1901

James Parker sat in a doctors office nursing a broken arm. He had fallen earlier that day and now needed to be treated for his injuries. As the doctor saw to his arm, James regretted that this would likely cause him to miss being able to shake President McKinley's hand today.

William McKinley enters the Temple of Music

The Temple of Music at the Pan-American Exposition was abuzz with energy. William McKinley continued shaking the hands of all who had come out to see him. He smiled at the young girl who had asked for his trademark red carnation, which now was grasped tightly in her hand as she waved. To think Cortelyou is worried about security, he thought, the people here are lovely as always. The next man in line drew McKinley's attention away from the girl as she exited the building with her mother.

Francis O'Brien, artilleryman with the United States Army, tried to limit the sweat on his face without moving too much. The sweltering day had most men and women in the hall dabbing with handkerchiefs, but O'Brien did not have that luxury in full dress uniform. He and eleven other artillerymen had been order to help with security for the President, tho they were originally only going to be for show. People continued to file by, none of whom looked to suspicious. One man, his right hand wrapped securely with a cloth likely to hide an unsightly injury, had just reached the President. McKinley extended his left hand, then there was a gunshot. The first gunshot was quickly followed by a second. A woman screamed, men converged on the assailant. O'Brien was diving for the gunman, but could only watch in horror as the man raised his pistol to the recoiling McKinley's head. As O'Brien began to connect with the assailant, the first of several men to do so, there was a third shot.

Backwoods of Vermont. September 7th, 1901

Theodore Roosevelt sat next to a campfire in what he reckoned must have been the early hours of the 7th. Getting outdoors cleared his head nicely and this little excursion away from the house was needed. Something approaching him disturbed the brush and Roosevelt reached for his rifle. Almost on cue, an out of breath soldier materialized out of the darkness. "Good God man!" Roosevelt exclaimed "Do you know not to sneak up on a man like that?"

"I'm very sorry sir" the soldier replied "but I need to to come with me right away. The President is dead."

Roosevelt's face went ashen, and without a word he grabbed his things, stamped out the fire, and followed the soldier back to civilization.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Kaiser Kirk

The Italian Ambassador will convey his regrets to the new President.
The Prime Minister and King of Italy will wire their condolences.
The King of course, lost his father to an anarchist in 1899.
As no members of Government are within a week's journey,
the Ambassador will represent Italy at the services.

His Royal Highness, Prince Luigi Amaedeo, Duke of Abruzzi, climber of Mt. Blanc, Monta Rosa, and first ascent of  Mount St. Elias (1897, 2nd tallest in US/Canada, next was1946), famed polar explorer of the 1899 Polar Star expedition, and recent leader of the expedition to make it the furthest towards the North Pole (they made it to latitude 86° 34' ), will be dispatched to America to pay his respects and bear Italian greetings to the new President. (After which he's off to New York to call on the National Geographic Society and Little Italy).

Walter

OOC:
I remembered reading something from snip about the possibility of him surviving, but I guess that he had to face the facts and realize that President McKinley has outlived his usefulness...

IC:
China sends its condolences.

After the assassinations of...
Jean-Jacques Dessalines, Emperor of Haiti in 1806
Ioannis Kapodistrias, first President of Greece in 1831
Ii Naosuke, Japanese politician in 1860
Danilo II of Montenegro in 1860
Barbu Catargiu, Prime Minister of Romania in 1862
Sakuma Shozan, Japanese politician in 1864
Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States in 1865
Manuel Isidoro Belzu, President of Bolivia in 1865
Crown Prince Ka Naung, son of King Tharrawaddy in 1866
Sakamoto Ryoma, Japanese author in 1867
Bernardo P. Berro, former Uruguayan president in 1868
Venancio Flores, Uruguayan president in 1868
Mihailo Obrenović, Prince of Serbia in 1868
Omura Masujiro, military leader and theorist in 1869
Yokoi Shonan, scholar and politician in 1869
Ma Xinyi, governor in 1870
Juan Prim, Prime Minister of Spain and Governor of Puerto Rico in 1870
Jose Balta, President of Peru in 1872
Richard Bourke, Viceroy of India in 1872
James Wheeler Woodford Birch, British Resident Minister in the State of Perak in 1875
Juan Bautista Gill, President of Paraguay in 1877
Okubo Toshimichi, Home Minister of Japan in 1878
James A. Garfield, President of the United States in 1881
Alexander II of Russia, Tsar of All the Russias in 1881
Jesse James, outlaw in 1882
Mori Arinori, First Education Minister in 1889
David Hennessy, Police Chief of New Orleans in 1890
Nikolay Alekseyev, Mayor of Moscow in 1893
William Paisley, Mayor of Burwood, NSW in 1894
Marie François Sadi Carnot, President of France in 1894
Queen Min, the first official wife of King Gojong, the twenty-sixth king of the Joseon dynasty of Korea in 1895
Stefan Stambolov, former Prime Minister of Bulgaria in 1895
Nasser-al-Din Shah, Shah of Persia in 1896
Juan Idiarte Borda, Uruguayan president in 1897
Antonio Cánovas del Castillo, Prime Minister of Spain in 1897
José María Reina Barrios, President of Guatemala in 1898
Elisabeth, empress of Austria and queen of Hungary in 1898
Ulises Heureaux, president of the Dominican Republic in 1899
Umberto I of Italy, King of Italy in 1899 (OTL 1900)
... China is glad to have a proper force protecting both the Emperor (60,000 men in 4 divisions) and the Dalai Lama (30,000 men in 2 divisions)...
(I was thinking about adding more including the 21 Roman Emperors assassinated in the span of 250 years... but in the end decided not to)
QuoteAfter which he's off to New York to call on the National Geographic Society and Little Italy
That last bit makes me think of the Police Squad series...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8PZFQz-qmo
... meaning that the President was probably killed by left wing insurgents from Paraguay... Case closed. ;D

Tanthalas

you forgot one walter 1899 Leopold II assaniated by Italian anarchist (OTL it was just an atempt) :P

The Dutch Monarchs and People also send their Condolences (even if the trade policy of McKinley likley made him less than popular with Dutch Industry).  Like walter I will break it down by who will do what.

The Dutch Ambassador will convey his regrets to President Roosevelt.
The Co Monarchs of the Unified Netherlands will wire their condolences.
The Mourning Book will be placed in the Hauge. (aparently it was done for McKinley OTL so I will do it)
The King of Belgium was assassinated by an Italian anarchist in 1899.
As no members of Royal Family or Government are within a week's journey,
our Ambassador will represent The Unified Netherlands at the services.

"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Walter on February 07, 2015, 07:42:41 AM
OOC:
I remembered reading something from snip about the possibility of him surviving, but I guess that he had to face the facts and realize that President McKinley has outlived his usefulness...

OOC:
In my opinion, Teddy is a great character to lead your nation during an imperialistic age, TONs of plausible things for him to do :)
But then again I'm a fan of TR overall except his imperialistic aspects - which was the product of his era.

Nice list, not sure I'd put Jesse James with assassinated heads of state. Murdered / Bounty Collected, sure :)

As for little Italy, OTL 10% of Italy's GDP in this period came from remittances from immigrants. Huge numbers of Italians were leaving very poor Southern Italy for the US and South America. Hence the justification for the new King to announce a Peace budget, starve the military (i.e. our 50% max mil spending) and invest in infrastructure, and the moves to colonize Africa - lets put those folks to work for Italy.  In the meantime, doesn't hurt to parade a prince and remind the lost sheep to send their $ home to the families.

snip

Events of Public Record: July through December

July
--The Department of Agriculture establishes the Bureau of Chemistry
--William Sydney Porter, also known by his penname O. Henry, is released from jail after serving three years for embezzlement charges.

August
--No major events

September
--Theodore Roosevelt give the first speech in which his trademark "Speak softly and carry a big stick" phrase is used.
--William McKinley is assassinated by Leon Czolgosz at the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, New York. He dies at the venue. Theodore Roosevelt is sworn in the next day after being retrieved from a vacation in Vermont.
--The body of Abraham Lincoln is exhumed and then reinterred under several feet of concrete in order to protect the remains.

October
--American built sailing yaht Columbia defeats the Irish Shamrock in the America's Cup
--Booker T. Washington visits the White House at the invitation of Theodore Roosevelt. This visit causes an increase in racial oriented violence in the South.
--Yale University celebrates its bicentennial.
--Annie Taylor, a schoolteacher from Michigan, rides a barrel over Niagara Falls and survives.
--Nurse Jane Toppan is arrested on suppician of murdering the Davis family of Boston. The murders were carried out by an overdose of morphine.
--Leon Czolgosz is is executed by electrocution.

November
--The new state constitution of Alabama requires voters to have passed literacy tests.

December
--Theodore Roosevelt delivers a speech to the House of Representatives asking Congress to curb the power of trusts "within reasonable limits."
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

Ansley Wilcox House, Buffalo, New York September 7th, 1901

Theodore Roosevelt sat in a comfortable chair across from Judge John R. Hazel and Senator Mark Hanna in the parlor of Ansley Wilcox's home. Other men mulled around, but left the three alone.

Hazel cleared his throat. "Gentlemen, I think the issue should be resolved. There is no reason to wait on the inauguration, the nation needs a strong leader now more than ever."

"I do agree." Hanna replied "But perhaps we should wait. After all, this is all a rather sudden affair."

"As much as I would like to mourn the President before we pass his title off" Hazel responded "The nation needs a leader."

Roosevelt spoke in a soft tone "I agree with the Judge. Right now, what the nation needs is a strong leader. In the last election, the people thought well enough of me standing next to the President that should events require it I would take over his duty to the nation. I have never been one to heap praise upon myself and I am not about to start now. The same arguments I make now would apply the same to any other man who happens to be in my position. The good of the nation must come first. We should conduct the inauguration with all due haste."

Hazel nodded "I will make the necessary preparations Mr. Vice President." He stood up and walked away.

Mark Hanna turned to Roosevelt. "If you will excuse me, I have some matters to attend to before the ceremony." He then left, leaving Theodore Roosevelt sitting alone.

Several hours later, Judge John R. Hazel swore Theodore Roosevelt in as the 26th President of the United States of America. A colleague of Mark Hanna quoted the senator as saying "That damned cowboy is president now."

-Siegfried Sassoon