Main Menu

Army Upkeep

Started by miketr, June 20, 2014, 05:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miketr

I am going to make a suggestion that was a source of much debate and gnashing of teeth in past version of navalism.

Make the army up keep FLAT please.  IE the 1880, 1895, 1905, etc divisions while they may cost different amounts will have the same upkeep.  When you upgrade tech realistically there isn't much of a change in terms of upkeep. Using Nitrocellulose and magazine rifle isn't going to have much more upkeep than compressed blackpowder and single shot.  Ditto adding pneumatic recoil systems in terms of upkeep.  Once we add mechanization there would be a bump in costs but I suggest making that a separate tech.

Other wise when you upgrade your army you end up having to make it smaller otherwise the upkeep kills you.  When in stead we should be increasing the size of armies. 

As BB's get more advanced they get bigger so they get more expensiveness but a 12,000 ton ship built in 1880 has the same upkeep one built in 1920.  Lets apply the same logic here.

Well I made my case.

Michael

Guinness

I don't remember the counter argument to this...

miketr

Its been like 5 or 6 or maybe 7 years now.  I don't remember either.

Michael

snip

I don't see an issue with this out of hand, but want to talk it over with Logi first before we make a commitment.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon