Russian Empire H1/1900 *DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION*

Started by Guinness, June 16, 2014, 11:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guinness

I'm lazy, so attached is my current spreadsheet. It's not yet complete.

Highlights:

- St. Petersburg and Moscow broken out as economic/research centers.
- 2 IC built, one more partially finished
- Lots of Army stuff. Mix of Mobilized, Active and Reserve
- Lots of fortifications. Forts are all reserve, but coast defense is active. The Russians don't trust this lot.
- Placeholders for navy and navy construction, as I want to SS some ships.
- 5(!)+ BP leftover.

snip

Your Army is about twice as big as it should be, IMO. That might help you free up some cash.

EDIT: 1,275,000 Men to be precise. Bit large for my comfort.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

The Rock Doctor

From the map, at least, Kars is in the Ottoman Empire. We'll have to sort that out in our history discussion.

Guinness

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on June 16, 2014, 11:29:41 AM
From the map, at least, Kars is in the Ottoman Empire. We'll have to sort that out in our history discussion.

So? I see no reason a Russian fort can't be on Ottoman territory.  :P

The Rock Doctor

Maybe we should jointly fund it, considering how many times the place appears to have changed hands.

Guinness

Quote from: snip on June 16, 2014, 11:21:11 AM
Your Army is about twice as big as it should be, IMO. That might help you free up some cash.

I've got a *lot* of territory to cover. Imperial Russia had some sort of conscription for it's entire history, so some element of conscripted reservists make sense. To me 1% of population seems completely reasonable. That comes out to 1.5 million.

Guinness

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on June 16, 2014, 11:37:03 AM
Maybe we should jointly fund it, considering how many times the place appears to have changed hands.

We'll just paint a line down the middle.

Guinness

If I pare down my army to 17 corps and 7 divisions, with 10 of those corps reserve, I save myself a bit more than $1, which helps.

That gives me 1.025 million in the Army, not including fortifications, which I figure is about another 600,000 men if fully manned. This estimate may be low though.

One thing I don't think was ever clear in N3 (or at least clear to me) was if you needed to man forts with existing units, or if they were units unto themselves.

snip

Quote from: Guinness on June 16, 2014, 11:39:02 AM
Quote from: snip on June 16, 2014, 11:21:11 AM

I've got a *lot* of territory to cover. Imperial Russia had some sort of conscription for it's entire history, so some element of conscripted reservists make sense. To me 1% of population seems completely reasonable. That comes out to 1.5 million.
Out of curiosity, does anyone have data on the size of the historical Russian Army from this approximate era? Wiki page for the Russo-Japanese War gives 50,000-1,000,000 men, but no breakdown. So the figure seems to be a little more reasonable then I thought, baring a potentially more accurate source.

Quote from: Guinness on June 16, 2014, 11:44:33 AM
If I pare down my army to 17 corps and 7 divisions, with 10 of those corps reserve, I save myself a bit more than $1, which helps.

That gives me 1.025 million in the Army, not including fortifications, which I figure is about another 600,000 men if fully manned. This estimate may be low though.

One thing I don't think was ever clear in N3 (or at least clear to me) was if you needed to man forts with existing units, or if they were units unto themselves.
Those numbers look better to me given the above comments. What we are doing is treating Forts as units unto themselves while Fortified Lines need to be maned.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Guinness

Hmm... OK, so I'll need units if I want to garrison lines, that's ok with me.

Check this out: https://suite.io/christopher-eger/2e727m

Numbers are 1914, but it's a place to start. 1,423,000 pre-war, up to 3,115,000 men in uniform at the start of the war. How well they were all equipped is another question.

snip

Quote from: Guinness on June 16, 2014, 11:55:47 AM
Hmm... OK, so I'll need units if I want to garrison lines, that's ok with me.

Check this out: https://suite.io/christopher-eger/2e727m

Numbers are 1914, but it's a place to start. 1,423,000 pre-war, up to 3,115,000 men in uniform at the start of the war. How well they were all equipped is another question.
The more data I see, the more comfortable I am with the numbers you furnish. Im also very glad you need boats to come fight me.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Guinness

I'm just waiting for an especially cold winter in the Bering Strait.

I'm at 1.275 million, including 2 corps of fortification garrison troops (billed as straight infantry). About half of that is mobilized or active.

Logi

Without data from China and UK, I'm going to say I want to give the following boosts:

+3 IC to Ottoman Empire -> effectively +$6 which leaves 3 of 9 BP unused without cutting maintenance.
+1 IC to Russia -> effectively +$2 which leaves 3 of 12 BP unused without further action.
+0.5 IC to Japan -> effectively $1

I think China's going to get quite a bit of IC, once we see the sim report.

Guinness

Walter

QuoteI think China's going to get quite a bit of IC, once we see the sim report.
Maybe... maybe not... Maybe I will let the Magic 8-Ball decide that. :)