Main Menu

Ottomans - Set-up

Started by The Rock Doctor, April 29, 2014, 07:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snip

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on June 16, 2014, 08:24:11 AM
I don't think it's the research rule itself that is the problem, but rather that we're all kind of short on IC.

The Ottoman military - with all forts and a reasonable chunk of the navy in reserve status - hoovers up a third of my total income, leaving maybe $4 for all new military spending, including research.  I have doubts that I will be able to do more than one tech research at a time, which means I'm either going to be backwards or relying on great gobs of tech sharing.

If I break out three cities of a million people and give each two IC, I have a $3 research capability - but I'm also forfeiting $3 (of a maximum ~$25) in potential revenues because the second IC per million people produces only half the revenue of the first.

It's a tough trade-off.
Here is what we are going to do. Once everyone has posted there numbers for regions and such, Logi and I will go over the list and make sure that people are not totally screwed over. Dont expect miricals, but we want nations to be playable.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

The Rock Doctor

That's fine.  I'm not trying to be a pain or anything.

snip

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on June 16, 2014, 08:38:13 AM
That's fine.  I'm not trying to be a pain or anything.
Your not. There is a difference between having everything be equal and having all nations be playable. Your conserns clearly fall into the later Its not like your asking for the 1940 US economy or anything.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Logi

As Snip said, we're going to need some more data to see where to make modifications. On my observation with Japan's sim report, 2-3 additional IC seems to solve most problems with this, but more data, etc.

The Rock Doctor

I'll ask for the American economy later.  Say, 1903.

I'll work up a draft H1/00 sim report for analytical purposes.  Shouldn't take too long.

Guinness

I'm about 2 days behind Rocky, but I'm seeing the same thing. Some of my issues are different though, like how to spend 360 BP without either A) ending up with an unaffordably large army, or B) ending up with unrealistically extensive ports infrastructure.

A) is probably sort of historically accurate, though the Russians had at least some divisions that weren't at 1870 level in 1900. B) is a problem, particularly in the Black Sea.

snip

Quote from: Guinness on June 16, 2014, 08:51:35 AM
I'm about 2 days behind Rocky, but I'm seeing the same thing. Some of my issues are different though, like how to spend 360 BP without either A) ending up with an unaffordably large army, or B) ending up with unrealistically extensive ports infrastructure.

A) is probably sort of historically accurate, though the Russians had at least some divisions that weren't at 1870 level in 1900. B) is a problem, particularly in the Black Sea.
We are running with declared armies, just like forts. I think the 360BP for Russia might be a bit high. Logi was the one that derived those figures tho, he can enlighten us more.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Guinness

Oh. Ok. Wow. More rejiggering.

Logi

IC
The probable reason for these problems with the underdeveloped nations is that the starting IC was back-calculated from the nation's historic GDPpc. From my research with Chinese wages, the underdeveloped nations also had ~20% more purchasing power than their Western counterparts... the result is that the starting IC might be 20-30% lower than reasonable. Of course without any data this is only a possibility.

BP startup
The figures come from a report, I forget the name of, about the relative sizes of each nation's navy in 1900. I figured out a number for one of the majors and then derived the rest of the numbers from that.

The Rock Doctor

I've whipped together a draft sim report for 1/1900 and tossed it into the Sim Reports section.  Just a text file - no use of spreadsheets anywhere. 

The Rock Doctor

Note that I'm moving my Type 1 port from Benghazi to Tripoli.  Appears to be the more sensible, historic location.

The Rock Doctor

I looked at changing some ships' machinery from simple to complex VTE, but the overall improvement was so minimal I can't be bothered.