Main Menu

Naval Infrastructure

Started by The Rock Doctor, April 13, 2014, 08:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

What version of naval infrastructure rules are to be followed?

While I note and don't strenuously object to KWorld's version, using it in conjunction with a 20% cap on starting BP doesn't actually permit a great deal of starting infrastructure.  I suspect most folks would wind up with very large fleets relative to the facilities needed to build/maintain them.

Walter

Dunno. Have been using N3's stuff to determine my infrastructure so far.

As for the "very large fleets relative to the facilities needed to build/maintain them", it depends on how you 'make' your fleet. If you go for a whole bunch of ships that require type 1 slips/docks, then it will be a bit problematic, but if you have a bunch of ships that require type 0 slips/docks, then it will be somewhat easier.

Logi

We've been talking about using N3 rules as a base for starting, so by definition that does not include KWorld's modifications.

Of course, talk for modification is welcome.

The Rock Doctor

Good to know.  That makes for a more satisfactory set of infrastructure.

I have no particular recommendations to make on the specifics.

snip

Honestly, the only change I would support from the N3 system would be moving to one of player-definable lengths as opposed to fixed ones. Something like $X and Y BP for Z feet/meters. I feel that the N3 system is realistic enough that the only way it would be worth the additional clutter would be having custom sizes, not a greater abundance of pre-made sizes ala-KWorld. Given how complex such a system could become (see N4), I have no qualms about sticking with the N3 setup.

In no way do I want to see anything like the civilian shipyards from KWorld's rules return.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon