Main Menu

Decisions, decisions

Started by KWorld, July 05, 2013, 07:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWorld

Quote from: Delta Force on July 12, 2013, 01:52:54 AM
Conquest of Paradise sounds similar to a historical setting and also like an old board game I used to play. It would have to be earlier in the 1870s or 1880s to have there truly be a struggle for colonies though, by the 1890s remote Pacific islands were the only places left to be colonized.

What's been said about "Conquest of Paradise" before: "Conquest of Paradise" essentially delays the great colonization race of the mid-late 1800s until the turn of the century (unless someone wants to play a non-historical power, of course).

KWorld

Quote from: Nobody on July 12, 2013, 03:16:13 AM
I wouldn't really mind starting 1860s, and with ships for the start - safe some cost guard vessels (<<1000 t).

All we need is a simple sail rule.

Ship rules would be simple enough, probably some sort of base percentage of hull weight for a base speed (suitable for a freighter, or for cruising), scaling upwards quickly for fast ships like clippers.  It's the EFFECTS of sail-power that are problematic (have to get to theright set of trade winds to go the direction you want, and that's on average, etc).

Darman

I think the biggest issue is that if we do a Conquest of Paradise scenario (which seems to be winning vote-wise) then all nations ought to have equal capabilities and resources. 

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on July 12, 2013, 04:08:01 PM
I think the biggest issue is that if we do a Conquest of Paradise scenario (which seems to be winning vote-wise) then all nations ought to have equal capabilities and resources.

Somethign along those lines can certainly be arranged.

Darman

Quote from: KWorld on July 12, 2013, 08:24:48 PM

I just figure that is the fairest option of all.  There will be certain strategic advantages associated with various nations, but the lack of colonial possessions will help even that out.  There may be ground wars inside Europe but they will be draws, with an exchange of colonial possessions as the ultimate goal.  "war as a continuation of politics"

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on July 12, 2013, 11:20:55 PM

I just figure that is the fairest option of all.  There will be certain strategic advantages associated with various nations, but the lack of colonial possessions will help even that out.  There may be ground wars inside Europe but they will be draws, with an exchange of colonial possessions as the ultimate goal.  "war as a continuation of politics"

A balanced start is fine, if that's what folks want.  I'm not planning on enforcing draws in home continent wars, though, unless they SHOULD be draws.  If a historical 1940 Germany invades a historical 1940 Netherlands, the mod is not going to say "the dikes and 5 Dutch boys defeat your armies".

Darman

Quote from: KWorld on July 13, 2013, 03:41:26 AM
Quote from: Darman on July 12, 2013, 11:20:55 PM

A balanced start is fine, if that's what folks want.  I'm not planning on enforcing draws in home continent wars, though, unless they SHOULD be draws.  If a historical 1940 Germany invades a historical 1940 Netherlands, the mod is not going to say "the dikes and 5 Dutch boys defeat your armies".
Who says I need the mod's help in rejecting a German invasion of the Netherlands?  The plans for my army include extensive fortifications and engineering troops (for flooding and reclaiming land)

KWorld

There's a reason I said "historical" for both countries....

Darman

Quote from: KWorld on July 13, 2013, 09:28:24 AM
There's a reason I said "historical" for both countries....
......fair enough.....