Main Menu

Army Discussion

Started by Darman, July 27, 2013, 05:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

Lighter in weight = less materials = less BP = cheaper

If it is more complex, it should be more $$$.

KWorld

Lighter in weight can also be because it's using lighter, more expensive materials.  But I'm not hung up on it, it won't cause much damage if they're somewhat cheaper than regular artillery uniits.

Walter

Looking at these, I would say that the gun would be more expensive than the mountain howitzer...

Darman

"special weapons" = engineers/siege mortars/etc?

KWorld

Depending on the time frame.  At start, it's more likely to be things like the Turks at Plevna, with the infantry issued with 2 rifles (one normal, relatively long-ranged breech-loader, and one shorter-ranged repeater). 

Darman

So what is the manpower equivalent of a regiment? 1,000 men apiece?

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on August 02, 2013, 04:07:26 PM
So what is the manpower equivalent of a regiment? 1,000 men apiece?

That was the authorized size of a US Civil War regiment, they grew after that.  For our purposes, let's define them as 1500 men.

Darman

Okay, so the British Army gets 8 cavalry regiments based on its approximate historical size ^_^

KWorld

The home army certainly wasn't big.  The army in India was a bit more substantial, however.  ;)

Darman

Quote from: KWorld on August 02, 2013, 07:37:27 PM
The home army certainly wasn't big.  The army in India was a bit more substantial, however.  ;)
I estimated round 12,500 cavalry, and somewhere between 100,000 and 125,000 infantry.  Artillery is a little harder to gauge. 

Walter

A new day and a new opportunity to look at the figures. You really have to explain those bonusses to me because it makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

- Why do the 3 regiment US Brigade and the 9+1 regiment US Divison get a 15% Span of command bonus while the 4+1 regiment Navalism brigade gets nothing and the 2 brigade Navalism Division only gets 10%? Both divisions are roughly the same in size so they should have the same bonusses while the US Brigade should have none.
- Why does the "short/long" Corps get a 10% Span of command bonus and the "Short/Long Fat" Corps (which is basically the same + a Cavalry brigade + 2 Artillery regiments) gets nothing? To me the bonus of the "Short Fat" Corps" should be slightly higher than the "short" Corps because of the additional units.
- Why does adding 1 regiment of artillery to the US Division give you a 20% Combined arms bonus while adding 1 regiment of artillery to the Navalism Brigade gives you only a 10% bonus? The US Division should only get 10%, but only if the bonuses of both brigades are added up to the total bonus for the Navalism division.

KWorld

Quote from: Walter on August 03, 2013, 04:52:30 AM
A new day and a new opportunity to look at the figures. You really have to explain those bonusses to me because it makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

- Why do the 3 regiment US Brigade and the 9+1 regiment US Divison get a 15% Span of command bonus while the 4+1 regiment Navalism brigade gets nothing and the 2 brigade Navalism Division only gets 10%? Both divisions are roughly the same in size so they should have the same bonusses while the US Brigade should have none.
- Why does the "short/long" Corps get a 10% Span of command bonus and the "Short/Long Fat" Corps (which is basically the same + a Cavalry brigade + 2 Artillery regiments) gets nothing? To me the bonus of the "Short Fat" Corps" should be slightly higher than the "short" Corps because of the additional units.
- Why does adding 1 regiment of artillery to the US Division give you a 20% Combined arms bonus while adding 1 regiment of artillery to the Navalism Brigade gives you only a 10% bonus? The US Division should only get 10%, but only if the bonuses of both brigades are added up to the total bonus for the Navalism division.

Hah!  Some of that is because I wasn't done with it, and am still tweaking things, some of it's quite possibly just wrong, and some of it's because I haven't explained the thoughts behind it.  More info to come.

KWorld

Quote from: Walter on August 03, 2013, 04:52:30 AM

OK, here's the way things SHOULD be:

1 - Span of command bonus should be 15%, this simulates a commander who has a small enough number of units under his command that he can give orders to them and receive information from them and not be overwhelmed or running behind.  In general, a brigade commander should have no more than 3 units, a division commander no more than 4, and a corps commander no more than 5 units under command.

2 - The "short fat" corps should get a span of command bonus, because it's commander has 5 units under his control.  The "long fat" corps commander has too many units to control so his corps gets no bonus.

3 - The navalism brigades combined arms bonus should be 15%, not 10%, that was an error.  The US division has a 15% bonus, the 2 "fat" corps got a 20% bonus (for having infantry, cavalry, and artillery).

I've included an updated file, which also added a different unit, one based on an early US Civil War Corps, before the armies began organizing their regiments into larger units.  It could also be an example of a Turkish army, for instance.