Main Menu

Preferences

Started by KWorld, July 10, 2013, 09:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefgte

Some European Countries could have a kind of assitance or goodwill for South America conquest, lend ships for ex....
South America is not only for USA.

"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

KWorld

Just so everyone knows, there are several obstacles to the US just marching south.  There's Mexico, which while not on par with the major players is not a bunch of tribes that can just be beaten up and ignored (they did just finish kicking France out of Mexico only a couple years ago).  There's the terrain: yes, the troops COULD march south, but they'd need supplies, that would probably need to come by ship (no north-south rail line), it would be simpler to send the troops by ship as well.  There's the mod, who figures that his job is MOSTLY to run the world and be the GM for the players, not to try to take over the entire world himself (that's not fair to everyone else).

So, no, don't expect to find the US competing with you to try to take over South America.  The US might interfere with your attempts to do just that (due to the Monroe Doctrine), it might colonize a particular site in someplace like Panama or Nicaragua (for a canal), or some islands in the Caribbean for bases or to kick some particular annoying neighbors out (like Cuba), but the US Army is VERY unlikely to appear at the gates of Cuzco looking to enter by force so that an American administrator can take over and run the place for the betterment of the taxpayers of Wilmington, Raleigh, and Washington, DC.

Logi

Hey guys, I'll like to join in but, what's the map state (if it's been decided)?

If Walter's playing in Asia, I'm likely to want to play something in Asia as well.

KWorld

Logi, current claim state of the map is shown in http://www.navalism.org/index.php/topic,6319.msg82388.html#msg82388.  No, Walter isn't in Asia, he's in Italy.

Logi

No, no, I've seen the post. I meant the map state, i.e. the likely territories they control. For example, does the Netherlands have DEI, etc.

In addition, are we not decided on the state of the other countries not on the list, such as the USA?

KWorld

Quote from: Logi on July 31, 2013, 08:20:58 AM
No, no, I've seen the post. I meant the map state, i.e. the likely territories they control. For example, does the Netherlands have DEI, etc.

In addition, are we not decided on the state of the other countries not on the list, such as the USA?

The USA's at the top of that list......

Right now, MY plan is the following:

The Dutch will probably still control Belgium and Luxembourg, along with Cape Colony, Ceylon, and the DEI.

The Brits control parts of India, Australia, and Canada.

The French control Algeria, French Guyana, Cambodia, and Cochinchina.

The US controls Alaska.

Currently Italy doesn't have any identified colonies, but I'll probably have to give Walter something so he'll stop agitating to have Vienna as a colony.  ;)

Russia, having sold Alaska to the US, has no overseas colonies, but still stretches from the Baltic to the Barents so it hardly needs any.

Austria-Hungary and Prussia have no overseas colonies.

Spain still controls Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines, while Portugal controls Angola and Mozambique, along with various small fortified trading stations along the African and India coasts.  However, Cuba is in wide-spread revolt (the historical Ten Years War).   [On the map, Portugal and Spain are combined, with their possessions shown in gold.]

Walter

Sardinia was part of Italy in 1870. The Venice area is also Italian.
http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/history/italian_unification_risorgimento_map.html
Personally I think that Nizza and Savoia should remain Italian, but Jef did not like that idea so I won't bother him with that. :)

QuoteCurrently Italy doesn't have any identified colonies, but I'll probably have to give Walter something so he'll stop agitating to have Vienna as a colony.
Well, Vienna does come from the Italian name for it, so perhaps it should be made Italian.  ;D
If you make Svizzera (Switerland) Italian, I'll shut my mouth. :-X

Jefgte

QuoteCurrently Italy doesn't have any identified colonies, but I'll probably have to give Walter something so he'll stop agitating to have Vienna as a colony. 

Libya could be Italy colony.
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

KWorld

Quote from: Walter on July 31, 2013, 09:57:48 AM
Sardinia was part of Italy in 1870. The Venice area is also Italian.
http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/history/italian_unification_risorgimento_map.html
Personally I think that Nizza and Savoia should remain Italian, but Jef did not like that idea so I won't bother him with that. :)

Updated the map.

Well, Vienna does come from the Italian name for it, so perhaps it should be made Italian.  ;D
If you make Svizzera (Switerland) Italian, I'll shut my mouth. :-X

Hah, but in that case, would we have to buy Italian chocolates???

KWorld

Quote from: Jefgte on July 31, 2013, 10:12:46 AM

Libya could be Italy colony.

Actually, looking at the history of things, the most likely Italian colony at this time period would seem to be Tunisia.  Going east from there in the future would certainly make sense, though.

Walter

QuoteHah, but in that case, would we have to buy Italian chocolates???
Everybody will love our Italian Chocolates... and it will be an excellent combination with our Italian Icecream. :D

Logi

I'm wavering between Spain, some part of China (as per Walter), and Japan.

A likely explanation for China (as per Walter) would be that the Taiping revolution (which happened around 1850-1860) allied with the Nein Rebellion and as a result was able to maintain a de facto ceasefire with the Qing government as the Qing government's hands were tied up in other revolts within China. Therefore the civilized portion of China would be the territory of the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom (Jiangxi, Zhejiang, Jiangsu, Anhui, Hubei, Fuijian, Henan)

The warlords could be separated by their respective rebellions:
Dungan Rebellion (Gansu, Shanxi, Ningxia, Xinjiang), Miao Rebellion (Guizhou), Panthay Rebellion (Yunnan)

As detailed by these maps: link link link link

I attached an approximate map for the scenario.
Yellow - Qing Dynasty, Purple - Taiping Heavenly Kingdom, Brown - Dungan Rebellion, Green - Panthay Rebellion, Pink - Miao Rebellion, Blue - France, Light Green - Spain, Orange - Netherlands, Red - Japan, Dark Red - Russia

Walter

... hmm... I forgot about Italy and the helmets with dead chickens on them... need to do something about that...

QuoteTherefore the civilized portion of China would be the territory of the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom
Dungan Warlord: "Die Taiping barbarian scum! You are blocking my way to the beaches and the pretty girls in swimsuits!!!" *declares war* ;D

KWorld

Logi,

Iberia as a whole only has a population of 20 million or so, which puts it above the Dutch but well below everyone else for home population.  In the immediate term, that doesn't much matter, but when you try to buy more IC, it will.  A segment of China will have a population of around 40 million or so (because we'll so hand-wave it), Japan about 33 million.  Japan, of course, has the upside of being on an island, but it has the downside of being on an island as well: hard to get to, but hard to get out as well.

Darman

oh, what part(s) of India does Britain possess?