Main Menu

Preferences

Started by KWorld, July 10, 2013, 09:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

They were stolen by the French but returned to their rightful owner, the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia, in 1815. The only reason they are French now is because the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia wanted the assistance of Napoleon III and gave it to him in 1860. :)

Looking more at France, I noticed that in 1870 the Second Empire fell and the Third Republic came into being so it is going to be interesting to see what you will be doing with France.

Jefgte

The sim star just before the war France vs Prussia.
So, no war with Prussia, I prefer Conquest of Paradise...

01-01-1870 : France is not a III Republique but III Empire  :)

Jef  ;)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Walter

KWorld

Heh, it's Emperor Jefgte, instead of the historical Emperor Napoleon III, so maybe some better decisions will be made.  :)

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that Bismark and those darn Germans will be sitting on their hands.  ;)

Jefgte

Not the same history...
Conquest of Paradise first.

We could imagine with Prussian (Nobody) an official reception for Emperor Guillaume I in Paris with the Emperor Napoleon III.

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Walter

... both smiling while holding knives behind their backs. :D

Good thing the French and Germans are allies now. God know how many more battles between the two we would have had when they were not.

KWorld

The mod is just saying that assuming that Europe is going to be quiet for 30 years while everyone goes colony grabbing may not be a safe assumption.  Italy, for example, is apparently looking at it's neighbors mountains with envy.  ;)  Prussia is looking to unify Germany under it's leadership, having beaten the main contender for the job, Austria-Hungary, in 1866.  Etc, etc.

Conquest of Paradise, yes.  Just watch your back while you're out conquering, because your neighbors may have designs on your home country.

Darman

Quote from: Walter on July 29, 2013, 06:28:23 AM
... both smiling while holding knives behind their backs. :D

Good thing the French and Germans are allies now. God know how many more battles between the two we would have had when they were not.

Crap..... and I'm stuck in between them both....

KWorld

Who, if anyone, is playing Prussia is undetermined at this point, so don't worry TOO much about chatter you may over-read.  ;)

Darman

Countries:

USA: Kworld (?)
Britain: Darman
France: Jefgte
Prussia: Nobody(?)
Italy: Walter
Spain:
United Provinces:
Austria:
Russia:

Any other countries we want to add to the list?  These are countries I deem important, although Russia and Austria can be filled last, unless someone wants them.  Other countries can be added if we get more players who are interested. 

Any players I didn't mention who want to claim a country please feel free to do so. 

Walter

QuoteItaly, for example, is apparently looking at it's neighbors mountains with envy.
... was actually thinking of claiming them pre-start thus having a border with the evil Huns... :P

With Conquest of Paradise, should Kworld not conquer his US territories first before he can start setting his people there? Or are we dealing with President Sitting Bull residing in the White Thipi? ;D

Darman

Quote from: Walter on July 30, 2013, 12:54:44 PM
QuoteItaly, for example, is apparently looking at it's neighbors mountains with envy.
... was actually thinking of claiming them pre-start thus having a border with the evil Huns... :P

With Conquest of Paradise, should Kworld not conquer his US territories first before he can start setting his people there? Or are we dealing with President Sitting Bull residing in the White Thipi? ;D
I'm of the opinion that there shouldn't be any countries outside of Europe just because if everyone starts in Europe then we're all on as equal a footing as we can be. 

KWorld

If you look at the original Conquest of Paradise proposal (here: http://www.navalism.org/index.php/topic,6316.msg82096.html#msg82096), it does say that some countries will start with overseas colonies, while others will not.  The US is a moderately historical, post-US Civil War US, not a North America from a Civilization game where Sitting Bull, having strangled Montezuma in his cradle, has grown unopposed.  ;)

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on July 30, 2013, 01:02:57 PM

I'm of the opinion that there shouldn't be any countries outside of Europe just because if everyone starts in Europe then we're all on as equal a footing as we can be.

I disagree here, because the map gives certain countries in Europe an advantage in an expansionist scenario, and because if we back all colonization up until 1870 (the only way I'm not seeing countries in the Americas), now we have to create what groups colonizers will find in the Americas from whole cloth.  In the aborted game from the spring/summer of 2012, that was easy: no one.  In a game based on conquest of colonies, not so easy.

Walter

Quotebecause the map gives certain countries in Europe an advantage in an expansionist scenario
Not as much as a nation outside Europe has. If I want a piece of America, I need to send a bunch of boats over carrying troops. The US only needs to march its vast army south over land. I'm not sure what the final costs will be, but I think that for the cost of one of Darman's troopships, you could probably buy a single corps. "The ability to move 1400 men" vs "having and additional 50000 men to move over land" is a big difference. How big an army can you create from the $$ and BPs you spend on building enough troopships to move 50000 men?

I think I would rather go for a Chinese piece of land and face all those angry Chinese warlords around me and fight my way to the sea to secure locations there to build ports and ships than going for Germany trying to conquer some far away pieces of land.