Main Menu

Path forward

Started by KWorld, June 06, 2013, 06:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWorld

Quote from: Jefgte on June 10, 2013, 01:35:43 AM
QuoteIf we're going to use semi-historical Earth as a setting, I don't see how we can avoid armies and economics, because some countries (Russia, Germany, Austria, Ottomans, etc) are, by the nature of their location in the world, more army focused than navy.  Even WesWorld has economic rules, they're just more limited than Navalism's.  I can see some tweaks to the current rules, sure, but I'm not really in favor of going lighter (and as I recall the discussion last fall, the group as it was then composed wasn't interested in going too rules-light.

I'd be hesitant to go further back in time than we are currently at in a restart, just to avoid the "that's a proto-Dreadnought" "no, it's not" arguments.  Not to mention that, if we did go further back, then there are going to be arguments in favor of having rules for railroads and their expansion.

Ok for me, Just minor adjustements to come.

Jef  :)

Heh, have fun, but before you go too far, let's figure out what we're going to do.  ;)

KWorld

I suppose the question for the group is:

Do we want to stick with the current setup (there'd probably be some shuffling of who's running what, if possible)?

Or do we want to change, either in time or in location?

Jefgte

QuoteI suppose the question for the group is:

Do we want to stick with the current setup (there'd probably be some shuffling of who's running what, if possible)?

Or do we want to change, either in time or in location?

Your choice w"ll be good.
I have no special requirements.
You can change the country, reSS the existing fleet within the global limits of tonnage already built.
Maybe I want to reSS the TBs and ATs in a spirit close to that of "La Jeune Ecole".

Jef  :)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Darman

Quote from: Walter on June 09, 2013, 09:53:29 AM
Might be an idea, though how do you suggest we sim the pre 1850 ships? Or do we stick to historical figures as given on the internet for the various sailing ships that actually existed? Do we keep it simple and stick to Wesworld's material cost payment only or do we stick to the slightly more complex material + $ cost of Navalism? Do we focus it purely on naval stuff and kind of keep track of the non-naval stuff like Wesworld (i.e. it exists, but you don't pay for it, just keep it reasonable) or do we keep the more complex Navalism style where we pay for both naval stuff and army stuff (and aviation stuff when the time comes) and keep track of populations and ICs and revenue? Do we use the complex tech tree stuff and research from navalism or do we keep it simple and stick to what history gives us? How would the startup setup look like? All players equal or do we stick to big, medium and small nations? Do we kill off the current sim or do we let it roll alongside the current one so new players have an option to go for something 19th century or something 20th century?

For me it doesn't really matter what we do. I will just tag along. :)
If we started during the Age of Sail I'd say don't sim ships til we get to Warrior and Gloire, just use standardized ships til then.  Also, industrial capacity wouldn't matter as much until then either so you can build BP but its going to be irrelevant until the 1850s/60s, a long term investment.  Make each turn last a year.  We'd still keep track of population and such. 
Its just an idea so far, no details fleshed out.  I'm not even sure anyone else would go for it. 

KWorld

Ideally, what I'd like to do is move forward from where we are, just shuffling a few chairs around and so on so we don't have to go back and start over again (for the third time for me, for the fourth or maybe even fifth time for some of you).  I don't THINK (but I might be wrong, and if I am someone please tell me so) that the problem is the time period or even the set-up.

If, on the other hand, folks would LIKE to restart, well, now's the time to say so. 

Jefgte

No neccessary restart for me, Dreadnought period is coming  :)

New countries affectations are neccessary.

Jef play always France.
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Walter

Got a new suggestion based on a book I bought today: Start in 1650. ;D

If neccessary, I can shift to another nation to keep the current world rolling but we'll see.

KWorld

Quote from: Walter on June 11, 2013, 08:12:27 AM
Got a new suggestion based on a book I bought today: Start in 1650. ;D

If neccessary, I can shift to another nation to keep the current world rolling but we'll see.

Hmmmmm, Walter as the new PM of the UK.........

Walter

If I were to keep control of Iberia, a war between UK/Italy/Japan and France/Netherlands/Iberia would mean that I might be the first casualty of that war caused by the conflict between my good side vs my evil side . :o :D

KWorld

Well, to save you from that, maybe Rocky should take over the UK.  ;)

The Rock Doctor

Be careful what you propose, young KWorld.

Walter

It'll be the end of the world if he takes over. We're all going to die!!! ;D

Walter

... and here is the reason why I mentioned 1650 as start...

As I mentioned on Wesworld, one of the reasons I'm hapy right now. :)

KWorld

Quote from: Walter on June 11, 2013, 09:47:40 AM
It'll be the end of the world if he takes over. We're all going to die!!! ;D

Oh, and that's better than if you take over the UK?  How, precisely?  ;)

The Rock Doctor

If Walter takes over, we all die from bizarre anime-related causes.