Interesting tidbit about our BBs

Started by Tanthalas, January 05, 2013, 08:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertfox

Nah the ally instead gave something better... Jeune Ecole...
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

snip

Quote from: Desertfox on January 05, 2013, 09:58:14 PM
Nah the ally instead gave something better... Jeune Ecole...

*prepares flyswater and blockade* Now, how well will this go?
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Desertfox

Close blockade? You mean putting nice big slow targets next to submarines...? Give me enough subs and TBs and nothing will be getting in or out of Singapore or trough the channel. 
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

snip

Distant blockades work as well. Also, until much later then now (think about the 1910 tech or so), subs will not be as effective as some here would like them to be.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Tanthalas

Very very true, I personaly wouldnt want to put to far out to sea in a Holland (SS-1) or a Plunger class... dosnt sound that fun and their ammo was strictly limited (not to mention Torps are not all that acurate at this point), Subs were slow (like horibly patheticly slow), and short ranged.

Quote from: snip on January 05, 2013, 10:27:58 PM
Distant blockades work as well. Also, until much later then now (think about the 1910 tech or so), subs will not be as effective as some here would like them to be.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Delta Force

Quote from: snip on January 05, 2013, 10:27:58 PM

Contact mines are rather effective, I am fairly certain that the humble Ottoman minelayer Nusret sank more battleships than any other ship in history.

Jefgte

QuotePerso, I disagree the building of Monsters, have medium BBs in greater number is better for tactical use.
Monsters are not a judicious use of BPs.
Jef
-------------
Well, I have one class of four 17000t BBs building an another class of most likely eight ~17000t BBs and a further two minimum ~22600t BBs being layed down the next game year or so. The 17000t ships (Formidable and London) are revisions of the Alibions to some extent, the Formidables a direct upgrade and the London's a major improvement. The Incomparables are designed to be just that, incomparable warships showing that anyone who wishes to challenge the UK at sea had better be ready to fight the best warships in the world. It looks like some will try and match that standard.

1 x 17000t BB or 34 x 500t TB or 10 x 1700t Aviso Torpilleur

Make your choice...
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Delta Force

18,000 ton pre-dreadnoughts are not going to age well given the large amounts of tonnage being devoted to machinery in many designs. I think speed has its place, but the turbine battleships of 1905 will have a massive advantage over the triple expansion battleships of 1900 as they will be able to easily reach speeds that current ships can reach only with great difficulty. More conventional pre-dreadnoughts are a better long term choice as armor and armament of a given thickness/caliber do not improve anywhere near as much as machinery does over the next few years.

Tanthalas

Very true, however if you look my battleships are about the size of their OTL equivilants and match them fairly well for speed and protection.  OTL the RM had a real thing about fast ships, and im duplicating it (with a bit of my own flavor thrown in)

Quote from: Delta Force on January 06, 2013, 03:50:12 AM
18,000 ton pre-dreadnoughts are not going to age well given the large amounts of tonnage being devoted to machinery in many designs. I think speed has its place, but the turbine battleships of 1905 will have a massive advantage over the triple expansion battleships of 1900 as they will be able to easily reach speeds that current ships can reach only with great difficulty. More conventional pre-dreadnoughts are a better long term choice as armor and armament of a given thickness/caliber do not improve anywhere near as much as machinery does over the next few years.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

snip

Quote from: Jefgte on January 06, 2013, 01:32:17 AM
QuotePerso, I disagree the building of Monsters, have medium BBs in greater number is better for tactical use.
Monsters are not a judicious use of BPs.
Jef
-------------
Well, I have one class of four 17000t BBs building an another class of most likely eight ~17000t BBs and a further two minimum ~22600t BBs being layed down the next game year or so. The 17000t ships (Formidable and London) are revisions of the Alibions to some extent, the Formidables a direct upgrade and the London's a major improvement. The Incomparables are designed to be just that, incomparable warships showing that anyone who wishes to challenge the UK at sea had better be ready to fight the best warships in the world. It looks like some will try and match that standard.

1 x 17000t BB or 34 x 500t TB or 10 x 1700t Aviso Torpilleur

Make your choice...

Given how easy and how little time it takes to build a TB or CL compared to a battleship and how much changes in technology are going to effect lighter units, I would prefer to have a good core of battleships and fit the cruisers and other light units in around that. Also, those were normal displacements listed not light so more room to build light ships. The UK will not really be seeking speeds in exess of 18knts until engines allow for it to be acheaved on hulls with comprable size to current ones.
-Siegfried Sassoon