Interesting tidbit about our BBs

Started by Tanthalas, January 05, 2013, 08:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanthalas

in 1900 OTL the average BB under construction weighd 12477 tons normal displacement (I obtaind this number by going through Conways and adding up the weights then deviding by the total number of classes under construction) as compared to our average weight of 18705.  Interesting that what I viewd as a ship at the top end of "beliveable" weight and preformance has become rather small while OTL it would have been Huge.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Walter

Interesting. BTW, for comparison what's the biggest ship under constuction and the smallest ship under constuction for OTL and Navalism?

Tanthalas

since you asked so nicely walter, here are the numbers.

OTL it looked like this
smallest: Habsburg class, Austria-Hungary 8232 tons Normal
largest: Mikasa class, Japan 15140 tons Normal

For the Nverse it would be like this (proly)
smallest: L5 class, Germany 14035 tons Normal (1899 laydown but included in the average)
largest: Incomparable class, United Kingdom 23086 normal
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Nobody

Interesting, yes. But expected as much. However, you seem to missed the German L5 class (14035 t normal). Oh and I'm building eight of those.

Tanthalas

I did in fact miss them, editing the data but I dont htink it will make much of a diference.  I just averaged one ship of each class. 

Quote from: Nobody on January 05, 2013, 10:05:49 AM
Interesting, yes. But expected as much. However, you seem to missed the German L5 class (14035 t normal). Oh and I'm building eight of those.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Nobody

Quote from: Tanthalas on January 05, 2013, 10:08:27 AM
I did in fact miss them, editing the data but I dont htink it will make much of a diference.

That depends on how many are under construction.

So... How many are there? :)

Tanthalas

I have just averaged one of each class because I had no way of knowing how many of each type people were planing to build. 

Quote from: Nobody on January 05, 2013, 10:11:14 AM
Quote from: Tanthalas on January 05, 2013, 10:08:27 AM
I did in fact miss them, editing the data but I dont htink it will make much of a diference.

That depends on how many are under construction.

So... How many are there? :)
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Nobody

Ah ok, but that's not very scientific now is it?  ^^
They might not be laid down at all.

Another interesting bit:
I designed my L5 (now obviously the smallest battleship under construction) specifically to be ridiculously big!

Tanthalas

my RE class was much the same way, that was the reason I started looking at this stuff.  Instead of the largest BB in the world (what it was suposed to be) it falls at the lower end of the size spectrum.

Quote from: Nobody on January 05, 2013, 10:17:31 AM
Ah ok, but that's not very scientific now is it?  ^^
They might not be laid down at all.

Another interesting bit:
I designed my L5 (now obviously the smallest battleship under construction) specifically to be ridiculously big!
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

KWorld

Actually, from the look of things, the USN's Maine class (currently under construction) is probably the smallest, at only 12485 tons normal.  See http://www.navalism.org/index.php/topic,5901.msg78231.html#msg78231.  :)

Jefgte

France with the Magenta class is in the middle of the board:
13800t light - 15839t normal
152x24x7 - 3T2x12"+12x140+8x100 - B 270-150 - D 65-45 - T&BKs 270-100 - 18kts-7000nm/10kts
Boardside 2839kg - Survivability 10743kg or 6T

;)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Jefgte

QuoteConsidering our escalating Battleships, what do you guys think about this:
L6 experiment, German experimental Ship of the Line laid down 1901 (Engine 1900)

Displacement:
   19.419 t light; 20.419 t standard; 22.457 t normal; 24.087 t full load

Perso, I disagree the building of Monsters, have medium BBs in greater number is better for tactical use.
Monsters are not a judicious use of BPs.

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Delta Force

My Borodino class is 12,570 tons and I plan on building 6 or 8 of them. They are also some of the only ships with conventional armament layout, and I think Russia is the only power building tumblehome ships.

Desertfox

looks at monster battleships, looks at own 4k battleships, goes off to cry... time to sink a ton of money into submarines...
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

snip

Quote from: Jefgte on January 05, 2013, 03:40:06 PM
Perso, I disagree the building of Monsters, have medium BBs in greater number is better for tactical use.
Monsters are not a judicious use of BPs.
Jef

Well, I have one class of four 17000t BBs building an another class of most likely eight ~17000t BBs and a further two minimum ~22600t BBs being layed down the next game year or so. The 17000t ships (Formidable and London) are revisions of the Alibions to some extent, the Formidables a direct upgrade and the London's a major improvement. The Incomparables are designed to be just that, incomparable warships showing that anyone who wishes to challenge the UK at sea had better be ready to fight the best warships in the world. It looks like some will try and match that standard.

Quote from: Desertfox on January 05, 2013, 07:35:20 PM
looks at monster battleships, looks at own 4k battleships, goes off to cry... time to sink a ton of money into submarines...
Or, beg your ally to help you build some of your own.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon