Main Menu

Dreadnaughts

Started by snip, December 10, 2012, 02:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanthalas

Can you see the logic behind my complaint? If it was just one or 2 nations planing three turret ships I wouldnt realy care, but with everyone (myself included) planing them without a world event to triger it I question the why...

Quote from: KWorld on December 11, 2012, 05:04:57 AM
And, since folks are looking for reasonings, I suppose I'll have to write up the USN's design reasoning as it's evolved from the New Navy (1890) to current.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

KWorld

Quote from: Tanthalas on December 11, 2012, 08:13:53 AM
Can you see the logic behind my complaint? If it was just one or 2 nations planing three turret ships I wouldnt realy care, but with everyone (myself included) planing them without a world event to triger it I question the why...

And, since folks are looking for reasonings, I suppose I'll have to write up the USN's design reasoning as it's evolved from the New Navy (1890) to current.

The USN has the Iberian-American War as a trigger, as will be noted when I get the chance to finish up the design stuff.

Tanthalas

Im looking foreward to it, my Justification for anything "wierd" I want to do is Cuniberti since I got him I figure I may as well abuse the living hell outa him  :P

Quote from: KWorld on December 11, 2012, 08:24:17 AM
Quote from: Tanthalas on December 11, 2012, 08:13:53 AM

The USN has the Iberian-American War as a trigger, as will be noted when I get the chance to finish up the design stuff.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Jefgte

Cuniberti idea, I agree.
For me, no problemo, You could have early & before all, Cuniberty BB.

Jef  ;)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Tanthalas

Sadly its true... go look at his latest Demented Idea jef (I just posted one that has a WIERD layout)

Quote from: Jefgte on December 11, 2012, 10:09:19 AM
Cuniberti idea, I agree.
For me, no problemo, You could have early & before all, Cuniberty BB.

Jef  ;)
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

The Rock Doctor

Somewhere out in the ether, there's a sketch of a battleship (Russian, I think), with six triple turrets:  two side-by-side forward, two side-by-side amidships, and two side-by-side aft. 

When one of y'all builds that, I will starting handing out bonus points for weirdness.

Tanthalas

Starts trying to figure out how much tonage that would actualy take... what I like wierd.

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on December 11, 2012, 11:12:30 AM
Somewhere out in the ether, there's a sketch of a battleship (Russian, I think), with six triple turrets:  two side-by-side forward, two side-by-side amidships, and two side-by-side aft. 

When one of y'all builds that, I will starting handing out bonus points for weirdness.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Nobody

I'm surprised I got no reactions at all.
Sure, it's a bit too late for them (because we already have ships which wouldn't comply to them), but I'm sure they could solve the problem.

Desertfox

For the record, I am strongly against any changes that allow dreadnoughts earlier. I have a few pre-dreads I would like to build first, and I am not, nor will I build AQY ships.

Also I just remembered something, having a Q turret would place the magazine very close to the boilers and well period ships had a tendency to go BOOM... maybe a few mod inspired randomly drawn explosions might deter people...
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Tanthalas

Hey stop giving away my plot devices... *tears up story about a japanease ship going philipeno*

in all seriousness I dont think we will se any changes to layouts (or not any substantial ones anyway) if we did adopt a new tech it would be for 1901 and it wouldn't allow for real dreads anyway, given that it would be 4 turns minimum your looking at turn 1 1904 before any aditional oddball ships could show up (and my dice say it would be more like turn 1 1905), making them literal predicessors of the Dreadnaughts (as in under construction while the tech was being kicked around by our various naval boards).  Even I the great I wana build what I wana build guy has managed to come up with somthing oddball ehnough to keep him happy for a couple years (and just wait till I build my first "dreadnaught") *hides the MMB Dreadnaught plans*

Quote from: Desertfox on December 11, 2012, 12:07:57 PM
For the record, I am strongly against any changes that allow dreadnoughts earlier. I have a few pre-dreads I would like to build first, and I am not, nor will I build AQY ships.

Also I just remembered something, having a Q turret would place the magazine very close to the boilers and well period ships had a tendency to go BOOM... maybe a few mod inspired randomly drawn explosions might deter people...
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Delta Force

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on December 11, 2012, 11:12:30 AM

It sounds like something Russia would do. They had a number of unusual designs to maximize frontal firepower for forcing the Turkish Straits. I think they even pioneered the en echelon design on one of their Black Sea ironclads.

KWorld

Quote from: Tanthalas on December 11, 2012, 09:59:21 AM
Im looking foreward to it, my Justification for anything "wierd" I want to do is Cuniberti since I got him I figure I may as well abuse the living hell outa him  :P

Now posted.  :)