Main Menu

Transporting Troops

Started by Darman, December 07, 2012, 11:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darman

I want to know if it is worth building my own cargo ships as "government subsidized merchant vessels".  There really aren't any rules on upkeep yet.  My opinion was that keeping the ship in reserve status in peacetime was penalty enough.  So when its "mobilized" and transporting troops or supplies it still costs the government the same.  My alternative, for those that aren't interested in building their own cargo ships on the government's dime or who need more cargo carrying capacity than their current government-sponsored fleet allows, is to charge $0.20 per ton per day.  Now these are little dollars, not budget dollars which actually represent millions of dollars.  For example (and please, I'm a history person not a math person so correct me if I'm wrong), I've taken 3 of my Taku Maru ships, or capacity to carry 10,000+ men (20,000+ tons) and estimated their total upkeep in two forms: Full (3,000 light tons), or merchant-hull quarter (750 light tons). 
QuoteFull (3000t ships, 3 ships)
     Reserve: $0.078
     Active: $0.308
     Mobilized: $0.432
Quarter (750t, 3 ships)
     Reserve: $0.027
     Active: $0.139
     Mobilized: $0.263
Under my alternative system for those who need extra transport capacity that same capacity (20,000 tons) would cost you 20,000 tons multiplied by 1 day multiplied by $0.20 per day (20,000 X 1 X 0.2 = 4,000) equals $4,000.00 per day.  Multiple that number by 30 days in a month and you get (4,000 X 30 = 120,000) $120,000 per month.  The calculations for upkeep are based on a six month turn so for fairness I'm assuming that I'm chartering the extra ships for 6 months of shuttling back and forth.  Multiply $120,000 per month by 6 months (120,000 X 6 = 720,000) equals $720,000 to operate one brigade's worth of shipping for 6 months (the same as upkeep/operating cost for a government-subsidized vessel for one turn).  In budget dollars it comes out to $0.72 every six months.  It penalizes you for not building your own cargo carriers but at the same time if you rarely use them it saves you the constant upkeep every 6 months. 

Does this seem fair?
Any other comments?

By the way, I am willing to amend my statement to when the government subsidized vessels are not being chartered by the government they are in reserve status, when they are engaged in peacetime transportation duties or transporting between friendly ports they are in active status, when they are entering hostile waters they are mobilized status.  I also believe that they should be judged on 1/4 of the tonnage rather than full tonnage.