Re: Ships of the US Navy

Started by snip, October 17, 2012, 03:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snip

Quote from: KWorld on October 17, 2012, 12:15:05 PM
<shrug>  I've got 10 of each, and that's not counting the Type 4 slips & docks I have (4 of each).  It IS slightly awkward in that it's JUST BARELY over the length of a Type 3, though, so I may see if I can tweak it a little to save around 5 feet.
What? you built type 4s?!
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

KWorld

Quote from: snip on October 17, 2012, 03:33:03 PM
<shrug>  I've got 10 of each, and that's not counting the Type 4 slips & docks I have (4 of each).  It IS slightly awkward in that it's JUST BARELY over the length of a Type 2, though, so I may see if I can tweak it a little to save around 5 feet.

Yep, it was a way to use up all that money I had.  :)

snip

and I thought I was going overboard with a singel type 3
-Siegfried Sassoon

KWorld

I've probably got more docks and slips than I'll need for quite  while, but if I need them sooner, at least I don't have to build them....

Tanthalas

So did I... Course I have enough type 0s to build IDK alot of DDs...

Quote from: snip on October 17, 2012, 03:49:26 PM
and I thought I was going overboard with a singel type 3
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

snip

basicly maxing out my BP, I cant fill everything I have. Then again, I need bases scattered around the globe to hell and gone.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Delta Force

<shrug>  I've got 10 of each, and that's not counting the Type 4 slips & docks I have (4 of each).  It IS slightly awkward in that it's JUST BARELY over the length of a Type 3, though, so I may see if I can tweak it a little to save around 5 feet.

I have two Type 4s and four Type 3s. Since ships are only going to get larger it doesn't really make sense to have large numbers of Type 0 and Type 1 docks when you can produce destroyers assembly line style in larger docks.

Tanthalas

Dont you guys think that just maybee your giving into hind sight just a tad to much?  I had a hard time justifying a Type 3 to myself letalone multiple type 4s...

Quote from: Delta Force on October 17, 2012, 06:44:57 PM

I have two Type 4s and four Type 3s. Since ships are only going to get larger it doesn't really make sense to have large numbers of Type 0 and Type 1 docks when you can produce destroyers assembly line style in larger docks.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Nobody

I have to agree. Germany doesn't have a single type 4, just some type 3. And even those are hindsight. I'm probably not going to need anything bigger than type 2 for the next decade or so.

KWorld

It's not so much about hindsight as it is foresight: the US shipyards are built primarily for civilian construction, which at this time is often larger and longer than most all of the military ships.  RMS Oceanic, for instance, was 704 feet (215m) long, with her keel being laid in 1897.  The US shipyards want a bigger piece of the action than they historically had, and the capacity to build bigger ships helps them get there.

Jefgte

QuoteI have to agree. Germany doesn't have a single type 4, just some type 3. And even those are hindsight. I'm probably not going to need anything bigger than type 2 for the next decade or so.

We are still waiting for a few more years before seeing Derflinger  :)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

KWorld

Quote from: Jefgte on October 18, 2012, 05:22:59 AM
QuoteI have to agree. Germany doesn't have a single type 4, just some type 3. And even those are hindsight. I'm probably not going to need anything bigger than type 2 for the next decade or so.

Or Von der Tann, she needed a Type 3.

snip

But what about the Splendid Cats?
-Siegfried Sassoon

Tanthalas

VDT was actualy my justification for the type 3 stuff I built, which is my point how long till we realisticly need a type 4? (as Rohan the only ships that ever required one were Asfaloth and her sisters)

Quote from: KWorld on October 18, 2012, 05:28:35 AM
Quote from: Jefgte on October 18, 2012, 05:22:59 AM

Or Von der Tann, she needed a Type 3.

Quote from: snip on October 18, 2012, 09:06:08 AM
But what about the Splendid Cats?
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Nobody

Quote from: Tanthalas on October 18, 2012, 10:03:56 AM
VDT was actualy my justification for the type 3 stuff I built, which is my point how long till we realisticly need a type 4? (as Rohan the only ships that ever required one were Asfaloth and her sisters)
1912 for Derfflinger ;)

EDIT
Scratch that, its 1915 for Mackensen, or Hood.