Big Ass Map

Started by Tanthalas, September 09, 2012, 10:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on September 10, 2012, 01:17:45 PM
Quote from: snip on September 10, 2012, 01:14:32 PM
Quote from: Tanthalas on September 10, 2012, 11:47:47 AM
as to spliting british india, how about giving Pakistan to France?

A workable boundary, tho I would like there to be small British holdings, small French holdings, other assorted small holdings all held in check from easy expansion by a independent state. Basically, no nation controls India outright and cannot do so without completely toppling a strong local government.

I like this idea.  Does Japan own Korea?  And should Korea be considered a colony of Japan or part of the Home Islands (and Peninsulas) like Okinowa?

Heh, in 1900 Korea's independent of Japan, it won't be considered within Japans sphere of influence until after the Russo-Japanese War and it wasn't annexed until 1910.....

Darman

Quote from: KWorld on September 10, 2012, 01:36:32 PM
Heh, in 1900 Korea's independent of Japan, it won't be considered within Japans sphere of influence until after the Russo-Japanese War and it wasn't annexed until 1910.....
Perfectly fine by me.  Means I dont have land borders to worry about. 

Tanthalas

My map shows it as Japanease, but that could just be Author Bias (I have found examples of it before in other books).  I am back to working on the map, ill post somthing up later.

Quote from: Darman on September 10, 2012, 01:46:28 PM
Quote from: KWorld on September 10, 2012, 01:36:32 PM
Perfectly fine by me.  Means I dont have land borders to worry about.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Tanthalas

thats hard... although I can break India up a bit what nations should I include as aditional holders? I can see a German portion, as to south africa how about an independant Drakia ala SM Sterlings books?

A workable boundary, tho I would like there to be small British holdings, small French holdings, other assorted small holdings all held in check from easy expansion by a independent state. Basically, no nation controls India outright and cannot do so without completely toppling a strong local government.

I like this idea.  Does Japan own Korea?  And should Korea be considered a colony of Japan or part of the Home Islands (and Peninsulas) like Okinowa?
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

KWorld

Quote from: Tanthalas on September 10, 2012, 02:59:39 PM
thats hard... although I can break India up a bit what nations should I include as aditional holders? I can see a German portion, as to south africa how about an independant Drakia ala SM Sterlings books?

Independent, possibly yes.  Draka, no way.  The vote was pretty clear on NOT having fantasy countries, and the Draka are definitely that.

Darman

Just turn South Africa into Cape Town (an independent English-speaking nation) and the Orange Republic (either independent or a colony belonging to a mid-level United Provinces-type European nation). 

Tanthalas

I was simply refering to it as an independant nation, you dont even want me to start in on the military issues in that series...  im leaving alot of independant nations white, some of them because I dont expect them to survive (even though I broke the Balkans up to make someone happy) Curently I have India split per the map of french India.  and Europe is almost finished (and acurate I think)

Quote from: KWorld on September 10, 2012, 03:38:09 PM
Quote from: Tanthalas on September 10, 2012, 02:59:39 PM

Independent, possibly yes.  Draka, no way.  The vote was pretty clear on NOT having fantasy countries, and the Draka are definitely that.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Kaiser Kirk

My 2 cents :

Civil War history : another possible way for the South to "Win" would be Britain openly backing the south after ham-handed USN manuevers (ala trent affair), and/or McClellan winning against Lincoln, as he ran on a peace platform.  There are also several battles that could have been greater disasters for the US.  Shiloh almost was, Chickamaugua, a bit more effort at Chattanooga, sieze the cemetary on Gettysburg day 1, or Culps/Little Round top on day 2, and if Lee hadn't been ill, the trap could have been closed at North Anna.

Mexico : What if they didn't kick the French out? Or what if instead or afterwards they flooded into California while the US was busy having a Civil war, and retook most of the 1848 losses ?  That certainly would prompt a different end to the US Civil War.

Austria-Hungary : Getting a port past the Straits of Ortranto changes their situation greatly, and would make them more interesting. So picking up Albania and/or Crete might be good.

France : A French Egypt would both change english power and the dynamics of the Med.

Overall - I'd say everybody should have some colony "over there" to make SLOC matter. Be it India, Africa, or South America, some chunk that pride or economics means one wouldn't want to give up- there may be more one would want to give up, but something.

Anyhow, I'm not a player, just a ghost.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Darman

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on September 10, 2012, 04:56:40 PM
My 2 cents :

Civil War history : another possible way for the South to "Win" would be Britain openly backing the south after ham-handed USN manuevers (ala trent affair), and/or McClellan winning against Lincoln, as he ran on a peace platform.  There are also several battles that could have been greater disasters for the US.  Shiloh almost was, Chickamaugua, a bit more effort at Chattanooga, sieze the cemetary on Gettysburg day 1, or Culps/Little Round top on day 2, and if Lee hadn't been ill, the trap could have been closed at North Anna.

Mexico : What if they didn't kick the French out? Or what if instead or afterwards they flooded into California while the US was busy having a Civil war, and retook most of the 1848 losses ?  That certainly would prompt a different end to the US Civil War.

Austria-Hungary : Getting a port past the Straits of Ortranto changes their situation greatly, and would make them more interesting. So picking up Albania and/or Crete might be good.

France : A French Egypt would both change english power and the dynamics of the Med.

Overall - I'd say everybody should have some colony "over there" to make SLOC matter. Be it India, Africa, or South America, some chunk that pride or economics means one wouldn't want to give up- there may be more one would want to give up, but something.

Anyhow, I'm not a player, just a ghost.

I like your idea that everyone should have an overseas colony that is important to them, and another that is less important. 

Jefgte

I agree with Darman.
Have colony(ies) for each Country/Player is cool.

France could give some territories in Africa...

Jef  ;)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

snip

Altering colonial boundries is fine by me. Playing with homelands I would rather avoid (cases like Alsace-Loraine aside)
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Tanthalas

Crap Jef dont do that to me... I just finished Africa (FINALY) although all of South Africa is empty still, so is all of South America & Central America.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Darman

what if we gave colonies a sort of rating.  Some are good contributors to their owner's economy (trade so that would equal cash), some would be strategic assets (the Panama and Suez Canals, Singapore, Malta, Gibraltar come to mind), and some would be prestige colonies. 

Tanthalas

Somthing like that could be done, im curently waiting on a mod ruling on the everyone has to have a Colony over there somewhere thing though... while I still have several places to put them blank.

Quote from: Darman on September 10, 2012, 07:10:33 PM
what if we gave colonies a sort of rating.  Some are good contributors to their owner's economy (trade so that would equal cash), some would be strategic assets (the Panama and Suez Canals, Singapore, Malta, Gibraltar come to mind), and some would be prestige colonies.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Darman

The reason I suggest it be done now before we distribute extra colonies is so we can adequately issue people 2 of the three types of colonies to keep the playing field relatively level.