Big Ass Map

Started by Tanthalas, September 09, 2012, 10:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobody

Assuming you choose one individual color per country - isn't that a bit much for some countries?

More specifically, why did you give Poland, Estonia, Lativa and Lithuania the same color as Germany?
I'm a bit surprised how many colonies Germany did have, but you forgot one - Tsingtau. Or did you count it as as "island"?

EDIT:
Just noticed, much better projection than the last map (last year).

KWorld

In 1900, part of Poland IS part of Germany.  Of course, other parts are part of Russia and Austria-Hungary. 

A-H is bigger than it should be: Serbia, Bulgaria, Rumania are independent.

Tanthalas

Quote from: KWorld on September 09, 2012, 04:04:22 PM
In 1900, part of Poland IS part of Germany.  Of course, other parts are part of Russia and Austria-Hungary. 

Yup the Balkans pissed me off so I gave em to AH (I can refill em in diferent colors but we all know AH or the ottomans are gona roflstomp any NPC there), other than Tsingtau (which I counted as an island) Germany is right (or best I could tell from a 4 page foldout in one of my old text books).  there are actualy a few errors noone will realy notice (unless you have the same map I was working from) such as I just gave all of the arabian peninsula to the ottomans (seriously noone is going to play a landlocked nation and in 1900 its mostly just useless desert)

One thing I might sudjest is combining the low countries, it would likley then fit in the medium power range.  The map im using is the map from WesWorld (I just happen to have a blank version of it)
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Darman

Serbia, Bulgaria, Rumania, Greece, Macedonia should be independent.  Is there any way to fiddle with the exact borders to get 1914 borders and then for every other nation leave it blank? 
And I thought part of this whole sim was to accumulate our own colonies? 

Tanthalas

Quote from: Darman on September 09, 2012, 04:59:20 PM
Serbia, Bulgaria, Rumania, Greece, Macedonia should be independent.  Is there any way to fiddle with the exact borders to get 1914 borders and then for every other nation leave it blank? 
And I thought part of this whole sim was to accumulate our own colonies?

the borders are largely "modern" but as far as colonies the Major powers had them by 1900.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Jefgte

Ok ,

Reading quickly the dialogs about the map & specialy Alsace Loraine, I have an idea.

In 1890-1900, France want always to have  Alsace Loraine back.
To have a different history (1914-1918) I think that France could bought A&L to Germany.
20 years later after the 1870 war, Germany hope to be quiet with France.

Then a treaty could be signed by the 2 countries:
France give to Germany 2 000 000 F gold & some colonies in Africa (Territories under Kameroun & some other on the Atlantic coast.)
& Germany give back A&L to France.

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

KWorld

Quote from: Tanthalas on September 09, 2012, 04:32:30 PM

Yup the Balkans pissed me off so I gave em to AH (I can refill em in diferent colors but we all know AH or the ottomans are gona roflstomp any NPC there), other than Tsingtau (which I counted as an island) Germany is right (or best I could tell from a 4 page foldout in one of my old text books).  there are actualy a few errors noone will realy notice (unless you have the same map I was working from) such as I just gave all of the arabian peninsula to the ottomans (seriously noone is going to play a landlocked nation and in 1900 its mostly just useless desert)

One thing I might sudjest is combining the low countries, it would likley then fit in the medium power range.  The map im using is the map from WesWorld (I just happen to have a blank version of it)

Oh, I don't know that other neighbors in the region are going to sit back and let A-H or the Turk move on Rumania, Bulgaria, and Serbia.  Historically, certainly the Russians would have declared war if either tried to do so (see WWI for an example).  Rumania, Bulgaria, and Serbia all owe their freedom at this period to the to the Russian victories in the Russo-Turkish war of 1877-1878, after all.

Tanthalas

Heh newish to the Nverse arnt ya... Trust me arangements can (and generaly are) made.  for example 1905 Russia and Japan go to war (if not sooner) now russia has her hands full and hmm now dosnt that look tastey (just an example).  I am Italia (unless other arangements are made) so you can say im one of the neighbors likley to look at eating them (after all they were part of the empire before that whole split issue)

Quote from: KWorld on September 09, 2012, 06:09:38 PM
Quote from: Tanthalas on September 09, 2012, 04:32:30 PM

Oh, I don't know that other neighbors in the region are going to sit back and let A-H or the Turk move on Rumania, Bulgaria, and Serbia.  Historically, certainly the Russians would have declared war if either tried to do so (see WWI for an example).  Rumania, Bulgaria, and Serbia all owe their freedom at this period to the to the Russian victories in the Russo-Turkish war of 1877-1878, after all.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Darman

Oh no not another one!  lol I've got plans for the region.  I'll just make sure to let you know.  All the wars need to be scripted.  So my opinion on the matter is to settle things amicably and to be open about all "black operations" things being run.  At least between ourselves (I'm the caretaker for Austria and the Ottomans, Russia, and you as Italy) and CC Snip as moderator.  Just my two cents.  Things just got more complicated though with you adding Italy to the mix.  I'll muddle through and the Balkans should be a VERY interesting place

Nobody

Aside from the question if we have colonies or not (except for the UK which as the "world police" needs its colonies), could you please reduce the size of Germany to roughly its 1871-1914 borders? I admit that's not easy if you base map has modern borders. If you need reference wikipedia has some decent maps or you could use last years attempt map were I spent quite some time trying to trace the German borders.

Quote from: Jefgte on September 09, 2012, 05:30:48 PM
Ok ,

Reading quickly the dialogs about the map & specialy Alsace Loraine, I have an idea.

To have a different history (1914-1918) I think that France could bought A&L to Germany.

France give to Germany 2 000 000 F gold & some colonies in Africa (Territories under Kameroun & some other on the Atlantic coast.)

Jef
France buys it back? Interesting idea, the French certainly seemed to have the money at that time, but why should Germany sell provinces which have a German speaking majority? I they did they would certainly insist on having a veto of some sort, wouldn't you agree?

Tanthalas

Im confused you want me tomake your nation smaller than historical? since the borders im using are Circa 1900... as to Colonies, you do realise our starting year is 1900 or 1905 right? this is after (or at the tail end atleast) of the colonial expansion period.  You have a nation in the "Major Industrial powers" list of course you have Colonies.

Quote from: Nobody on September 10, 2012, 01:26:56 AM
Aside from the question if we have colonies or not (except for the UK which as the "world police" needs its colonies), could you please reduce the size of Germany to roughly its 1871-1914 borders? I admit that's not easy if you base map has modern borders. If you need reference wikipedia has some decent maps or you could use last years attempt map were I spent quite some time trying to trace the German borders.

Quote from: Jefgte on September 09, 2012, 05:30:48 PM
Ok ,

Jef
France buys it back? Interesting idea, the French certainly seemed to have the money at that time, but why should Germany sell provinces which have a German speaking majority? I they did they would certainly insist on having a veto of some sort, wouldn't you agree?
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Nobody

Quote from: Tanthalas on September 10, 2012, 01:36:01 AM
Quote from: Nobody on September 10, 2012, 01:26:56 AM
... could you please reduce the size of Germany to roughly its 1871-1914 borders? I admit that's not easy if you base map has modern borders. If you need reference wikipedia has some decent maps or you could use last years attempt map were I spent quite some time trying to trace the German borders.
Im confused you want me to make your nation smaller than historical? since the borders im using are Circa 1900...
No I'm not asking you to make it smaller than historical, but Estonia is definitely not German. Neither is Latvia. And if you look at Lithuania, only a very small section of it should have the German gray/"silver" color. Also you made too much of todays Poland German.

Tanthalas

My previous post was Unkind.  That said I meant the part about drawing it yourself nobody.  The truth is as far as perfection I could realy give a shit, All I want is a map thats good enough for us to have a rough idea who has what.  As to the realy small nations no one is going to play any of them so who honestly cares.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Jefgte

QuoteFrance buys it back? Interesting idea, the French certainly seemed to have the money at that time, but why should Germany sell provinces which have a German speaking majority? I they did they would certainly insist on having a veto of some sort, wouldn't you agree?

Disagree.
Buy A&L back change the history.
Rhin is a natural border.
Have new colonial territory for Germany is very intererseting.
Have territory on west Africa open real possibilities to German colonial expansion in Affrica & South America.
Peace treaty Germany / France disengage much Armies money about our borders.
Free passage in Dover Strait could be in the treaty.

Jef   
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Nobody

Quote from: Tanthalas on September 10, 2012, 02:44:09 AM
My previous post was Unkind.  That said I meant the part about drawing it yourself nobody.  The truth is as far as perfection I could realy give a shit, All I want is a map thats good enough for us to have a rough idea who has what.  As to the realy small nations no one is going to play any of them so who honestly cares.
I'm sorry, your were right in a way. I appreciate your effort - I couldn't do it. If I'm unhappy with it I should try it myself. All the small countries I mentioned are, I think, a part of Russia.

Okay recoloring the small countries was easy, drawing the new eastern border not. I think my result isn't too bad, but not that good either. I someone who knows what he is doing could try it again, i would appreciate it.