Tech Establishments (final comments)

Started by miketr, September 14, 2011, 07:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexanCowboy

Proofs? I thought that was Geometry?...Algebraic Proofs sound like pure hell just from having to label everything.

*forms Order of the Complex Mathematics Arrow*

Tanthalas

Stop it your giving me flashbacks... and not the happy making kind either.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

ctwaterman

*sighs*.... I am conflicted... I am quite good at math... but then I am also quite lazy.... which drove many of my math teachers to drink.....   how could I test so high on math in the SAT still fail a math course.  I say if your going to subtract 2 points off my grade for every homework assignment I didnt well its simple math.... 90 - 30 [15 Incomplete homeworks] = failure....

Maybe they should put less stress on doing the home work and more on being able to answer the stupid question.  :-X

Anyway having read up on Coal Fired Ships I have another supprise for the players.  If we have several hundred Coal Fired Ships operating at one time we should expect on average 1 catastrophic Coal Bunker Fire every other Year....  8)
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

snip

O that will be fun. Define "catastrophic" a bit more specifically if you please.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Tanthalas

think USS Maine snip, a problem I actualy anticipated us having.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

snip

ah, so excuses to start wars, I can live with that *evil grin*
-Siegfried Sassoon

ctwaterman

*shhhhh*......

But Catastrophic means what is an uncommon occurance but given the number of ships will be occurying regularly is coal obsorbing Moisture and generating heat until it reaches combustions stage.   At which point you expose the burning coal and flood it with water once you detect the fire.  Or you take the burning coal and use it to power the ship.

I just read a report that indicated the SS Titanic had a coal fire in one of its bunker burning from the time it left South Hampton until they finished emptying the Bunker I believe either the day before or the day she sank.

The USS Maine in all likelihood exploded because an undetected coal fire heated up a bulkhead to her magazine and then started a paint fire which caused the powder in the magizine to ignite.  Tensions between the US and Spain at the time then led to war.

And stop trying to steal my excuse for occupying Cuba... >:(

snip

Who said anything about Cuba...*eyes some other islands, but in the Pacific*
-Siegfried Sassoon

Carthaginian

Cuba is such a poor place to try and take...
There are other, smaller and more easily possessed parts of the world which would be more easily taken... and held.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

ctwaterman

*Yawn*  the Pacific is so far away and so unimportant feel free to occupy away.

Cuba on the other hand *looks around for Tejas and Mexican Spies*.... is directly opposit Florida and with control of both Florida and Cuba in my Greedy little paws.... ;)  Well I dominate the Florida straits and a goodly portion of the trade into and out of the Gulf of Mexico.... :)   Not that Florida itself doesnt command the straits but their are so few places in Southern Florida to put a Proper Military Harbor.

Cuba on the other hand has a few good Harbors and well it is practically next door.

Desertfox

You guys arguing about basic math? I mean its not rocket science... which ironically is not really that hard, just basic algebra.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Nobody

I
Quote from: Korpen on September 15, 2011, 09:21:45 PM
Quote from: Nobody on September 15, 2011, 01:23:29 PM
I have a question about the gun techs.
I was searching for information when the Krupp sliding breech block was invented or first used. What I found instead was a Krupp gun on display in 1887(?) with a caliber of about 40 cm and a barrel length of 40 calibers! This gun has a muzzle energy of 214.6 MJ (that's 5092 million lb*ft2/s2) - how does that fit into the proposed tech tree?
http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924030704880/cu31924030704880_djvu.txt page 197-198
If that source is correct it should be 176MJ for the 40cm gun. Which is allot, but not that extreme.
I don't really care about this rather insane breech loading Krupp gun (my source was http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11662/11662-h/11662-h.htm#17) but I'm a bit worried that the rules might have no room for the huge guns that were actually installed on ships like:
  • Duilio - 450 mm, 101 MJ (2398 million lb*ft2/s2), 1874
  • HMS Inflexible (1876) - 16", 89.7 MJ (2129 million lb*ft2/s2), 1874
Which is why I have always said we would need a table (similar to the one before) specifying which gun can be how long, and a limited progression based on already develop guns. Plus e.g. pressure limits for the tech levels, and penetration formulas and constants so we can calculate penetration (a table with constants for each pair shell level/armor level for both deck and belt armor (maybe even better values for no/full penetration))

ctwaterman

*Yikes*.....  If I have to have a Table generated for every gun people develop Simming a Fight between two Small Squadrons is going to take Months instead of hours and or days...??????

Tanthalas

Quote from: ctwaterman on September 17, 2011, 12:59:02 AM
*Yikes*.....  If I have to have a Table generated for every gun people develop Simming a Fight between two Small Squadrons is going to take Months instead of hours and or days...??????

Couldnt we just use the one from N3? if I recal it was fairly strait forward
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Nobody

Quote from: ctwaterman on September 17, 2011, 12:59:02 AM
Well, but to be halfway fair you would need a table for at least every half (better 0.2) Inch and every 5 calibers different gun generations and shell vs armor generation anyway.
I think it would be much easier to use a program which generates the needed table in a matter of seconds. All you would have to do in this case select the armor type used on the opposing vessel.