How far along are the rules?

Started by Carthaginian, July 11, 2011, 12:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

Galley? Planning to make your prisoners work? ;D

TexanCowboy

Prisoners? Na, they're assigned to the "counting rattlesnakes Bureau"

Now illegal Mexican immigrants, on the other hand...

Walter

Not sure if they will be reliable enough for your galleys. You'd better use them as fence poles for the many, many miles of barbed wire along your border and around the cattle farms. :)

Tanthalas

im quite fine with that option for sailing ships, Carth and I have played around with it a bit and struck at about 2% misc. Weight to refelct a full sail rig in SS2, for what its worth.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Guinness

I think if you want rower power, go for it. It'll come out of whatever manpower caps might go into place though.  ;)

TexanCowboy

MWAHAHAHA!!!

Tejas Galley O' Doom

Waterline Dimensions:
Length: 550 feet
Width: 70 feet
Draught: 15 feet
(.45 block coefficient)

Rowers: 50,000 (All illegal immigrants)

Speed: 20 minute dash - 20.1 knots
            2 hour "battle speed" - 18.53 knots
            8 hour chase - 17.37 knots
            Rowing in shifts - 12.44 knots

Armament: 500 archers (to be replaced with an equal number of gatling guns)
                  4 large catapults (to be replaced with an equal number of 10''/25 guns

Ithekro

Somehow I don't think it will float...or move...or even fit come to think of it.  :P

Walter

You'll most likely need 1 ton of miscellaneous weight for every 10 illegal immigrants so that would mean you will need at least 5000 tons miscellaneous weight on a vessel that is probably about... 5000 tons? ;D

TexanCowboy

Skinny ones, only 110 lb each. And they get no food nor bathroom breaks.

Ithekro

Weak "slaves" can't make 20 knots even for 20 minutes.  Can even make cruising speed for an hour before they start dropping.

TexanCowboy

More galleys with more catapults to toss new slaves on?

Ithekro

Impact would probably make them less than usuable rowers.

Plus I doubt you would have that many "immigrants" with Mexico having the same ecomomy as you do in 1880.

Desertfox

I was running some numbers and I feel a starting figure of $1,000 should be fine. Going with $1,500  might lead to massive unsustainable navies.I was also thinking, maybe give us the option of going with either figure with those choosing the smaller having a stronger starting economy?
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Korpen

Quote from: Desertfox on August 07, 2011, 09:15:43 AM
I was also thinking, maybe give us the option of going with either figure with those choosing the smaller having a stronger starting economy?
Bad idea, as that would only benefit the states that do not need a navy.
I can also see a problem in starting money being worth more when used for things that can be upgraded (such as armies) then money used on ships which will be lost when the ship is obsolete.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.