Rules (Draft)

Started by Guinness, July 29, 2011, 06:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miketr

Quote from: Nobody on July 30, 2011, 01:29:37 PM
Well Carthaginian, I for example, would have loved to help with the economic and merchant rules - even if I would have had no say in it - but no one was interested.

The rules would have been done a long time ago if it was just one person writing them.  As it was Charles and Guinness spent all their time trying to play fire brigade between P3D and myself.  In the end Guinness had to step forward to create the current product.  I have zero faith that more people would create anything other than make more blood for the bucket / mop brigade to have to take care.

Michael

Sachmle

I've not jumped into this because I come here to relax, not get agitated, but seriously, enough is enough. A large portion of you just up and decided that since things were slow, N3 was dead and we had to start over. So we did, and everyone said all along it would take time. Now the same people are bitching that it's taking too long and that they can't wait. Well, no offense, but then don't wait. Y'all pushed and pushed until you killed N3, now you're trying to rush N4 out the door so fast you're setting it up to fail. We all know what did and didn't work in N3, now let them figure out how to make it work in N4. Patience is a virtue. Mine is running out, but not on waiting for N4, but on those who constantly heckle those who are working (on their own, limited free time) to make it better than N3 and fix all those bugs. I'd rather have the rules right and set than being a continuous "Work-in-progress". Inevitably, that one part that everyone decides is 'unimportant for now, we can work on it later' will become massively important right about the time no one can agree on how to do it. As to people leaving due to time constraints if the sim isn't up "right now". How will you have time later to play if you won't have time later to sim ships or decide where your army is?

"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Korpen

Quote from: Sachmle on July 30, 2011, 02:27:00 PM
I've not jumped into this because I come here to relax, not get agitated, but seriously, enough is enough. A large portion of you just up and decided that since things were slow, N3 was dead and we had to start over. So we did, and everyone said all along it would take time. Now the same people are bitching that it's taking too long and that they can't wait. Well, no offense, but then don't wait. Y'all pushed and pushed until you killed N3, now you're trying to rush N4 out the door so fast you're setting it up to fail. We all know what did and didn't work in N3, now let them figure out how to make it work in N4. Patience is a virtue. Mine is running out, but not on waiting for N4, but on those who constantly heckle those who are working (on their own, limited free time) to make it better than N3 and fix all those bugs. I'd rather have the rules right and set than being a continuous "Work-in-progress". Inevitably, that one part that everyone decides is 'unimportant for now, we can work on it later' will become massively important right about the time no one can agree on how to do it. As to people leaving due to time constraints if the sim isn't up "right now". How will you have time later to play if you won't have time later to sim ships or decide where your army is?
Seconded, we should have a "like" button...
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: miketr on July 30, 2011, 02:00:59 PM
I have zero faith that more people would create anything other than make more blood for the bucket / mop brigade to have to take care.

Michael

I realize this isn't terribly constructive, but I'm entitled once in a while.

With due respect, you folks decided to appoint yourself crafters of the new game and end open discussion. 

In the open discussion, at least I could try to lobby for the type of game I might wish to partake in. With the closed session, I saw someone who's concepts I disagreed with get  participate in creating the game while I no longer had a forum.  As such, I strongly disagree with your apparent notion that closing the open discussion was a good idea.

Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Guinness

I think it's important to note that the team who has been working on the rules was not self-appointed. The mod team at the time (Maddox, Charles and Myself) asked P3D and MikeTR to participate in the work for rules for the next version of the game.

I was convinced at the time and remain convinced that trying to do that work as a committee of the whole would have been a bad idea. I'm also a firm believer in project management notion that throwing more bodies at a late project only makes it more late. This is essentially where we are now.

I've drafted a complete version of the shipbuilding rules and ship design guidelines, as well as the rules for how startup might be done, and I want Charles, P3D and MikeTR to review it (and proofread it, as there are more than a couple of bad typos in the current draft). If we can get that posted, we'll be almost there, as only coast defense is left. I expect that to be largely a cut/paste job from N3.

Darman

hey, shipbuilding, ship design, coastal defense, and startup.  Those seem to be the big ones I'm waiting for.  I just sort of need to know how much I can build when (for startup).  I already know how much I have budgetwise. 
by the way, thanks for those who are writing the rules, I know I sure as hell don't have the patience to do it. 

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Guinness on July 31, 2011, 01:05:58 PM
I think it's important to note that the team who has been working on the rules was not self-appointed. The mod team at the time (Maddox, Charles and Myself) asked P3D and MikeTR to participate in the work for rules for the next version of the game.

I was convinced at the time and remain convinced that trying to do that work as a committee of the whole would have been a bad idea. I'm also a firm believer in project management notion that throwing more bodies at a late project only makes it more late. This is essentially where we are now.

Good to know. From my perspective, you and Charles, despite your work as Moderators in N3, count as self appointed in terms of Creating a new rule set for N4, which extends to the invite. I much rather had seen more discussion and alternative ideas.  So my view stands.  I do recognize that it wasn't your intent to be perceived that way, that I'm probably in the minority, and you have all put in a great deal of work for the benefit of those that want to play under this new ruleset. 

For my part, I said I would poke my nose in from time to time to see what came out of the process.  I find my original decision to excuse myself from N4 nation building was wise, and I will wander off.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

snip

I have a question regarding the muzzle velocity stated in the draft of the tech rules. Will that be calculated based on the formula given in the N3 rules, or will it be something different?
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Guinness

I was hoping to reuse the table and equation from N3, but that particular rule could probably be better, so I think we're open to any suggestions. Guns, mounts, and related techs need a lot of fleshing out.

TexanCowboy

Please don't reuse the table. It doesn't allow for the oddballs like the 16.25'' British guns and the 17.7'' Italian gns.

Guinness

Ok, so how else could we do it?

TexanCowboy

I'd suggest something based on a combination of caliber and gun size. Maybe something like "Gun size times caliber cannot exceed 450 for guns bigger than 10'', 250 for guns between 5'' and 10'', and 100 for guns smaller than 5'')

The exact numbers would need some adjustment.

Tanthalas

I dont realy see a problem with the previous sheat, you simply use the next larger guns above and below and arive at an average.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Carthaginian

I know that it's out of date- and some people have accuracy complaints- but BigGun would be a viable alternative if we were willing to try it. It would allow us to create oddball calibers from scratch.

The best part is that we could directly limit the muzzle velocity or energy.

I'm not sure how NAaB works, but would be up to learning it if it would allow us to do something similar.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Ithekro

How is the old Jane's system handled?  Are we taking about how to make the guns, or just the break off points or specific techs?