How far along are the rules?

Started by Carthaginian, July 11, 2011, 12:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthaginian

It seems that we are beginning to reach the level of needing rules- at least on what will be allowed for shipbuilding- as there seems to be some pretty strong feelings on what is going to be allowed and what is not.

Can we PLEASE see some rules, guys?
Or at least have a breakdown of what is done and what is not?
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Guinness

Here's a status, which I'll crosspost to the state of Nverse4 thread:

- Economy (95%): Largely done. Needs numbers from other items below to inform it.
- Navy upkeep, construction, etc.(95%): Largely done.
- Army stuff (50%): I think we know where we're going here, but we're mired in some research items in an attempt to balance ground forces with sea forces.
- Shipbuilding Guidelines(0%): Basically we haven't cracked this one yet. This is largely because it's dependent on the next item.
- Technology and R&D (75%): We've agreed on an approach, but not specific tech items. We also haven't yet agreed to what research will cost, largely because we need numbers above.
- Startup forces available (50%): nations will get a lump sum with some constraints to build their forces up to what they have in 1880.
- Gameplay and administration(50%): things like reporting requirements, etc. etc. This is largely informed by what's above.

The last month has been tough. I've been working or out of town most of it, P3D was traveling as well. We're trying hard to get efforts back on the rails now.

Sachmle

Quote from: Guinness on July 11, 2011, 01:30:45 PM
The last month has been tough. I've been working or out of town most of it, P3D was traveling as well. We're trying hard to get efforts back on the rails now.

And, I think I speak for all of us, when I say "Thank you all for your effort."
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Carthaginian

Thanks, G.
It seems that most of the important issues are ironed out- save the tech tree and shipbuilding.
I appreciate the update... heck, keep us updated even if there are no updates. No offense meant, but it's better than deafening silence. :(

Thanks for all the hard work that you and the other mods put in- and if there is any way that any of us can help on this, please rope us in!

ctwaterman

Right Now I think we are dealing with a Bean Counting Issue that we need to resolve before we push on to other issues.  Once that is done then we can start the work on say the first Decades worth of the New Tech Shrubbery... its definetly a Shrubbery and not a Tree....  :o
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Desertfox

Any chance for a rough estimate on starting tonnage? Just to get a general idea.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

TexanCowboy

Quote from: ctwaterman on July 11, 2011, 10:52:25 PM
Once that is done then we can start the work on say the first Decades worth of the New Tech Shrubbery... its definetly a Shrubbery and not a Tree....  :o

"First you must find... another shrubbery! (dramatic chord) Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must place it here, beside this shrubbery, only slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle. ("A path! A path!") Then, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forrest... with... a herring!"

ctwaterman

Honestly on an Estimate of Tonnage.... I can give you a Scientific Wild Assed Guess at best.

Try not to spent more then say $100 on ships and for now use the standard tonnage figure.

In addition figure that ships build after 1875 will cost you 1.5X older ships.   You should have a number of ships that are older but still in service.

But Like I said none of this is well set in stone or even completely reliable.

Charles

Carthaginian

Walter

QuoteThen, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forrest... with... a herring!
"Cut down a tree with a herring?! It can't be done." (IIRC)

QuoteIn addition figure that ships build after 1875 will cost you 1.5X older ships.   You should have a number of ships that are older but still in service.
Built as in "completed"? If it is "laid down" then there's a good chance that the ship is still under construction. Are ships built before 1865 or so (or earlier) going to be slightly cheaper? IIRC from looking around OTL, there should be some early 1860s vessels around and even 1850s vessels in 1880.

ctwaterman

QuoteBuilt as in "completed"? If it is "laid down" then there's a good chance that the ship is still under construction. Are ships built before 1865 or so (or earlier) going to be slightly cheaper? IIRC from looking around OTL, there should be some early 1860s vessels around and even 1850s vessels in 1880.

Yes I think there might be a reduction in the cost of the Older Vessels.  Honestly, until we can completely settle on Army costs and the Complete Economic Line up all I can give you guys is SWAG or Guesstimate.

I am sure you will have more then $100 to spend but you will need to purchase other things as well like Military Ports, Ships Building Infrastructure, and well Armys, Forts stuff like that.  So once we get the math balanced Im thinking if you planned your fleet around $100 there wont be to many changes you need to make.

The Cut off date for completed ships costing more is still completely up in the air as its dependent upon decisions in the incomplete Tech Shrubbery.  But honestly the more modern the design [See my random 1875 or later guess] the more likely it is going to cost you more of your start up money.

I am personally looking at building a bunch of River Gun Boats a few Standardised Coastal Battle Ships and some elderly but upgraded single screw and sail frigates for comerce protection.  Nothing to Wierd to start with nice and vanillia.

TexanCowboy

We gonna have merchant construction again?

Walter

QuoteBut honestly the more modern the design [See my random 1875 or later guess] the more likely it is going to cost you more of your start up money.
So that means it would be dependent on when the first ship of the class is laid down and not when the individual ship is completed, right?

Tanthalas

Quote from: Walter on July 12, 2011, 12:42:57 PM
QuoteBut honestly the more modern the design [See my random 1875 or later guess] the more likely it is going to cost you more of your start up money.
So that means it would be dependent on when the first ship of the class is laid down and not when the individual ship is completed, right?
that sounds right to me walter but I could be totaly out in left field.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Walter

It might be me but the thing is that this
QuoteIn addition figure that ships build after 1875 will cost you 1.5X older ships.
indicates  that any ship completed after 1875 is going to cost 1.5x but this
would mean that the year of the design of your ship is going to determine that.