How far along are the rules?

Started by Carthaginian, July 11, 2011, 12:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertfox

Oh I understand that. I was talking about the $1000 -$1500 "starting" figure. And if we didn't want to spend all that money initially, would it be possible to spend it in improving the economy?
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Guinness

In the $1000-1500 scenario, only about 1/3 of that might be "modern ships", or roughly 10 years of nominal construction spending. But that figure is off the cuff. We've been trying to cook up what we think a startup fleet might look like for a while. This is one of the major hurdles we're still jumping over.

Also, remember if you want any naval infrastructure or army units, or coast defense, or forts, that would all come out of the starting allotment too.

Ithekro

I would assume the national growth would work in reverse as well.  Losing 3% per year as we go backwards in time (if one stays at normal levels).  Thus the amount one can produce per year would be limited just as it will be going forward.  While you would have more than $10N per year in 1850, you probably don't want to go any farther back than that...since SS can't handle anything older than that...and about everything built in the 1850s will be essentually useless in 1880.

The infrustructure might be built over time, the army would be built at some point...the only real time factor is older ships, and how many can be built at that time.

However that might be complex. 

If one assume a roughly real world tech pattern prior to 1880 for everyone:
1850s = steam ships and wooden hulls + sailing wooden ships.
1860s = steam ships with wooden hulls and iron armor + steam ships with wooden hulls.
1870s = steam ships with iron hulls + steam ships with wooden hulls and iron armor.
1880 = steam ships with iron hulls.

Question:  can we stockpile funds from year to year (budget surplus) for larger projects, or just that matter at all?  Do we spend as the ship builds as oppose to up front?

Tanthalas

Quote from: Guinness on July 29, 2011, 07:24:08 PM
In the $1000-1500 scenario, only about 1/3 of that might be "modern ships", or roughly 10 years of nominal construction spending. But that figure is off the cuff. We've been trying to cook up what we think a startup fleet might look like for a while. This is one of the major hurdles we're still jumping over.

Also, remember if you want any naval infrastructure or army units, or coast defense, or forts, that would all come out of the starting allotment too.

I was looking at that, and the Rail Roads thing, basicly I was wondering if I could count on the Sanfran to SLC line already being built (its my Capital to my major Seaport so if it isnt already im going to have to build it).  I am very very pleased with the choice of SS3 however (although the 1.2 bothers me as many OTL ships cant be simmed with it)
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Guinness

1.2 and 1.1 overall strength could be 1.1 and 1.05. I haven't personally had enough time to sim ships to see how that will work out. What we're trying to capture there is the fact that steel improved over time.

Charting the annual budget of a typical nation back 30 years from the start date wouldn't actually be that difficult. I'll look into it.

Carryover isn't in the draft, but it's certainly possible, and we've discussed it if only briefly. It would likely have an upper cap, like you can't have more than X% of your GDP banked at any given time.

RE: the Central Pacific Railroad: We'd have to think on that one. It's a question best considered when we get started, I guess. I think it's likely you'd have to subsidize it.

Ithekro

I think the newest version of SS I have is 2.1a

Darman

where's the best place to get SS3?

TexanCowboy

Guinness

I'm working on the startup equation now. A question I need opinions on: startup fleets will almost certainly include some pure sailing ships. Is everyone ok with a system where you just pick an OTL sailing ship and call it your own? Coming up with a system to sim sailing ships will be a pain in the you know where.

snip

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Sachmle

"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Darman

Quote from: Guinness on July 31, 2011, 11:35:21 AM
I'm working on the startup equation now. A question I need opinions on: startup fleets will almost certainly include some pure sailing ships. Is everyone ok with a system where you just pick an OTL sailing ship and call it your own? Coming up with a system to sim sailing ships will be a pain in the you know where.

My own efforts to sim a sailing ship have essentially been that: the original 44- and 36-gun USN frigates. 

Ithekro

That should be fine.  They will mostly be for show anyway...at least against any more modern warships..  Cannon balls still hurt people thou....but even rifled land artillery can punch though wooden hulls and probably outrange those old smoothbores.

Darman

Show, training of cadets/seamen, as very outdated convoy vessels, as sinkholes for money and manpower.... you get the idea. 

TexanCowboy