New Weapon Data

Started by Blooded, June 17, 2011, 11:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blooded

Hello,

1-With the bulk of Navweaps being from 1885 on, where are some good sites for muzzle loaders, older Breech loader types and Gatling/Nordenfelt/Hotchkiss Types.

2-I have noticed many using Breechloaders and Machine guns. i dont think that these were used yet for the most part. I would classify a Gatling as Quickfiring myself.

3-Also, many have shown multibarrel guns as each barrel for SS(ie. 4x5barrel 3pndrs as 20 guns). I would think it should be a single gun(to be specified as multibarrel in the notes). Could we get a ruling on how we should model this?

Thoughts?
"The black earth was sown with bones and watered with blood... for a harvest of sorrow on the land of Rus'. "
   -The Armament of Igor

Carthaginian

1.) No idea... I'm just using Conway's and guesswork.

2.) Breechloaders would be appropriate from the 1880s on; machine guns are (I think) being used to represent gatlings, although belt-fed machine guns will become common in the 1890's.

3.) No dice- if you have that many barrels, you should have that many barrels... pure and simple. If you only have one barrel included in the sim, then you should in no way get the benefits of a gatling weapon.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Valles

Quote from: Blooded on June 17, 2011, 11:35:10 AM2-I have noticed many using Breechloaders and Machine guns. i dont think that these were used yet for the most part. I would classify a Gatling as Quickfiring myself.

Must disagree about the Gatling et al types.

As for breech loaders...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Gun
======================================================

When the mother ship's cannon cracked the signal to return
The clouds were building bastions in the swirling up above
Poseidon the King and the Wind his jester
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair

Walter

I look for the guns on the extremely reliable *cough cough* wikipedia (well, better something than nothing at all). I think it does not really matter weight-wise whether you sim a gattling as MG or as QF. As for the multi barreledness of those weapons, I agree with what Carthaginian said. That is also how I simmed them for N3. That is the proper way to do it.

Korpen

Quote from: Blooded on June 17, 2011, 11:35:10 AM
Hello,

1-With the bulk of Navweaps being from 1885 on, where are some good sites for muzzle loaders, older Breech loader types and Gatling/Nordenfelt/Hotchkiss Types.
Afraid I have no good tips there other then wikipedia; most other sources I got are books.

Quote2-I have noticed many using Breechloaders and Machine guns. i dont think that these were used yet for the most part. I would classify a Gatling as Quickfiring myself.
Most countries had switched to breechloaders by 1880 for the most part.
A problem until the later part of the 1870s was that there were no really perfect was of obturation so there were gas leaks at the breech.  So a breechloader had less power then a ML all other things equal. However this was mainly an issue on the largest cannons and by 1880 no longer true.
And as pointed out, the MG is mostly Nordenfelt volley-guns or gattling.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Blooded

Hello,

Fair enough I shall change my ways on modeling the multibarrels. we can always use more weight allocated to weapons.

As far as MG verses quickfire. i noticed a problem when trying to use a 47mm 5 barrel hotchkiss(1873 design) on a 1875 gunboat. I could only model it as a breechloader. 1877 seems to be the date change for quickfire and I get calibre too large for MG. I know its nitpicky stuff.   ;)

Bummer on using wiki, navweaps is sooo good
"The black earth was sown with bones and watered with blood... for a harvest of sorrow on the land of Rus'. "
   -The Armament of Igor

Guinness

muiltiple barrels == multiple guns*, unless someone can make a good case for the opposite.

Also, I'm strongly in favor of using SS3 despite the fact it'll never get out of beta.

*Apologies in advance for unilateral decision making

Valles

I'd be comfortable with it. Even if there are functions that don't do anything, being able to set them would provide useful information about how the ship is supposed to work.
======================================================

When the mother ship's cannon cracked the signal to return
The clouds were building bastions in the swirling up above
Poseidon the King and the Wind his jester

snip

two words: caliber specification.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Sachmle

I'll vote for SS3b. The stuff we're used to from SS2 still works (the same 97% of the time to boot), and some of the new stuff works too.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Jefgte

;)

Please, note for France,
I"ll use strictly NavWeapons & the guns dispo @ the date.
Not complicated for us & the Modos infos.

Jef  ;)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Carthaginian

Put me on the record for SS3 as well.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

TexanCowboy

*Is devils advocate, votes for SS2*

What, I prefer it and its results to SS3....

Nobody

I would vote for SS3 as well - if it hadn't these nasty annoying bugs(?):
  • undo does not work / no ctrl-z
  • del/delete does not work

Borys

Ahoj!
I am for SS2.
SS3 produces significantly lighter-than-OTL designs.
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!