North America Buildup

Started by Guinness, June 07, 2011, 01:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexanCowboy

Dar, you object to me taking a few of the Acadians who were in your territory?

Blooded + Foxy: Buffer state might work, yes. Also the San Juan idea, which ya'll seem to have ignored....

Darman

Quote from: TexanCowboy on June 23, 2011, 07:26:58 PM
Dar, you object to me taking a few of the Acadians who were in your territory?

Not at all.  Displaced persons and all that.  Happens in war, some traveled down the Mississippi, others volunteered for irregular regiments being formed to fight for the Texan revolution and ended up bringing their families.  However you want to do it is fine by me. 

Blooded

Tex..

QuoteAlso the San Juan idea, which ya'll seem to have ignored....

And rightfully so...  ;) That only accounts for around 50,000 miles-25%(Utah portion and Colorado portion of DFs 200,000 excess mileage). You need to try harder than that.  ;D  But at least your proposal is far better than DFs.. ;)
"The black earth was sown with bones and watered with blood... for a harvest of sorrow on the land of Rus'. "
   -The Armament of Igor

ctwaterman

Ok Have crayon Mods will fix borders.

Now lets talk immigration patterns and why Lt. Freemont sided with the Local California authorities to form their own government instead of joining the UCAS ???

I am so not funding a Transcontinental Railroad.... *Grumbles* about ungracious Texans and Californians.... 
;) ;D

Yes I figure the Pro Cotton, Pro Slavery movement in the 1820 thru the 1850 drove westward exansion and resulted in two seperate Governments that did not want to join the UCAS once decision time came. 
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

TexanCowboy

You aren't muttering about the French, the Mexicans, the Italians, and the Indians that said "HELL NA, NO INTEGRATION?"

You won't? This calls for more blam, and more Sergeant Schlock.

That would work, but my independence is in 1817, so....

ctwaterman

QuoteThat would work, but my independence is in 1817, so....

Per my PM...

Independence from Whom you are 10 guys in a building screaming we are independent while at the same time praying the Komancharo tribes dont burn your fort down around you.  You need a full generation or two to build up a population base before you can declare your independence from anyone.

Beware lest Foxy send a Company of Cavalry on a 2 month patrol to round you all up and ship you off to a penal colony some where.

Carthaginian

LOL... aren't I fortunate I have a Motherland which is located safely across an ocean!
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

TexanCowboy

Yeah, but I have Sergeant Schlock and Tagon's Toughs as my Foreign Legion, so, uh *ominous hummmm*

Blooded

Hiya,

QuoteI am so not funding a Transcontinental Railroad....
I was wondering about that one..  It was a game changer!  :'(

The ol' West will be quite different.

I guess the 'natives' are still below that stage(better organized but not citified? Well... maybe the Iroquois are in longhouse villages or more permanent? The Lakota/Sioux still in teepees with horse culture?). The Buffalo would still roam... what a majestic sight that would be!  :o

"The black earth was sown with bones and watered with blood... for a harvest of sorrow on the land of Rus'. "
   -The Armament of Igor

Blooded

Carth...

I think I missed some stuff. Is Acadia a French Influenced Native Culture or a Native Influenced French colony?
   -The Armament of Igor

Carthaginian

Quote from: Blooded on June 23, 2011, 11:33:45 PM
Carth...

I think I missed some stuff. Is Acadia a French Influenced Native Culture or a Native Influenced French colony?

Well, as I eventually got the word that it would be best that it were more 'civilized,' it will be a mixed culture State similar to OTL Louisiana. There will be a large ethnic French minority, a strongly French-influenced Native majority, and a minority of Natives- mostly in the far west, along the coast of Lake Superior and around Lake Winnipeg- who have a Creole language and some rather 'quaint' traditions, and who possibly retain the 'Old Faith'.

I will admit to a bit of 'transporting' when it comes to some things simply because I understand them better. For instance, the French population of Acadia will be more like OTL Louisiana's 'Upper Crust' than they will real Frenchmen. Also, I will be using the Muskogee language instead of one native to Canada because I already have some collected resources on Muskogee.

ctwaterman

Look at the Northwest Revolt or the Metis Uprising for your Native Culture.... Ask and you shall receive free at no charge from history...

Carthaginian

Interesting... worth taking a longer look at tomorrow.
Thanks. Mixing this with the Creek traditions I know about will likely give me a good base.

ctwaterman

As for the Transcontinental Railway well... to be honest their is no Economic Reason for either Myself or the NER to build such a huge expensive thing.   At least not by funding it with huge land grants to the builders.

California, its Gold and its riches do not belong to me so I will concentrate on improving the railroad lines within my own borders instead of building a single narrow rail off into Indian Country.  Same with the transcontinental Telegraph Cable.

The need to facilitate communication from coast to coast does not exist here.  I might have telegraph lines connecting the UCAS with the NER and Texas the same with a few railway links across the Mississippi and along the East Coast.  I mean Washington DC and Baltimore to New York and Philadelphia are good railway connections even with cheap costal shipping available.

But what we are going to be missing here is the Great vector of a push across the Great Planes.  What was once called the Great American Desert will remain the domain of the Buffalo and the Nomadic Tribes and to be honest the UCAS see's no Economic Reason to change that.  Only in Hind sight would we realize the value of Irrigating Grain crops on those areas.   And to be honest once my UCAS stop doing strait cash crops and I have a huge amount of fertile farm land.  I see Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and the States East of the Mississippi becoming the bread basket of the UCAS and NER.

ctwaterman

Do we want to work on a comprehensive Time Line of the Settlement of North America?

I figure we need to start with the 7 Years of French and Indian Wars in effect.
France does not lose all their colonies, and then we have the US Revolution.  For some reason either a failure to compromise during the Constitutional Convention in 1787 lots of things could have gone wrong.  A Failure to compromise on the Big vs. Small states Issues or on Slavery and representation all could have led to a failure of the Constitution either being written or failure in ratification.  All this could lead to a break up into 2 factions the Federalist [John Addams] in the North and the Democratic-Republicans under [Jefferson] in the South.  This could lead to a weaker government that fractures during the war of 1812.

To the North we have a Métis  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9tis_people_(Canada) based society forming in parallel with a French one in Canada with border disputes with the North East Republic [NER]  The conflict based around the Aroostook War http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroostook_War makes a perfect background to establish a border.

As for Texas there really is not much need to change in Texas accept a few dates, names of battles and such.   Possibly Texas revolts a little earlier over the Issue of Slavery in 1829/30 but the historical factor is Santa Anna and his transformation of the Mexican Government into a Centralist State under his control.   As an example in 1829 all slave owner were given a 1 year exception to the Mexican Edict of 1829 outlawing slavery in Mexico.   By 1830 over 5000 Texas owned slaves had been converted to indentured servants for Life?

The Republic of California [ROC] or whatever Blooded wants to Call California can revolt during well any of the many wars that are going to be fought between Texas and Mexico.  In this time Frame there is more trade between St. Louis Missouri and Santa Fe New Mexico then between Santa Fe and Mexico City.  The Gold Rush of 1849 no matter what will provide all the Immigration that California needs to reach Nation hood.