Previous topic - Next topic

snip

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

In addition, I have come up with a backstory that I would like to use. Below is a rough outline of what I would like to use.
QuoteGeneral outline, Oregon: The Bear, The Dragon and The Salmon

Early: A more unified culture of Natives comes into fruition in the Pacific Northwest. While not reaching the extent of unification necessary to form a traditional nation-state, the interdependence of the tribes slowly grows through the mid 1000s, becoming the most basic of proto-nation-states by the 1700's

1780's and 1790's: Grigory Shelikhov and others spearhead a much greater colonization effort of the future Oregon territory. When contact is made with the proto-nation-state of the natives, the Russians chose to attempt to integrate the native's society with that of the colonists instead of exterminating it. This eventually leads to the extent of colonies territory and population being much larger than originally thought possible.

1810's: By Imperial decree, most of the Jewish population of the Russian Empire is relocated to other areas. A large contingent ends up in the Oregon colony, greatly increasing its population.

1826: After the Decembrist Revolt, the conspirators are exiled to Oregon. At this time, the more radical military elements are purged from the exiles. Pavel Pestel (who is not executed as in OTL) emerges as the leader of a new political group geared amongst the Colonists that strives for liberty for the serfs.

1840's: Forward looking individuals and the Russian government begin the slow process of industrializing the colony, harnessing the ememce power of its natural waterways at first, and eventually the large reserves of coal, wood and iron that dot the colony. The Russian government subsidizes creation of large shipyards to facilitate the transport of these goods on Russian-made ships.

1842: Following the end of the Opium war (or its NTL equivalent) a large group of Chinese appeal to the Russian government to let them settle in the Oregon Colony. The Russians agree and give the Chinese access an island (OTL Victoria Island) and some territory north of the main colony to settle in.

1861: Coupled with the abolition of feudalism is the independence of the Oregon colony. Its continuing industrialization and the growing resistance under Pavel Pestel's Independence Party leads the Russian government to choose to part with its colony in good standing, rather than fight an apparently losing battle to hold onto it. Russian forces are to remain in the area until the new country is ready to defend itself.

1862: The new government of the Respublika Oregon (Republic of Oregon) is formed. Due to the amount of different cultures present and the origins of the movement in anti-serfdom, all men are granted equal participation in the government. Slavery is outlawed, but due to the relative lack of slaves this does not cause much fuss. Pavel Pestel lives just long enough to see the first meeting of the People's assembly before passing away. The Oregon Army is formed. In addition a few ships are purchased by the government for use in fishery protection.

1870: The Oregon navy is formed out of the fishery protection agency with the commissioning of its first coast defense monitor. The native shipbuilding industry is now one of the finest on the continent.
Thoughts?

EDIT: Removed Cryllic script
-Siegfried Sassoon

Guinness

Interesting. This would have bearing on the founding of California too, since it stands to reason that something would have prevented Oregon expanding south. I suppose Gold might have been discovered earlier, but then all those Oregonians would have rapidly moved south I suspect. I might have to think of another back story for California then.

Where would we think the population centers of ~1810 Oregon might be?

snip

For pure ease of finding things, I am going to use OTL cities with Russian names
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

I also added the changes that I requested to the map, as well as cleaning up a few boarders to make them less blocky (http://navalism.wikia.com/index.php?title=Special:NewFiles&image=North_America-png)
-Siegfried Sassoon

Guinness

Darman

oh and just so people know, the Eskimo Conspiracy was a joke.... I just wanted more color on the map when I first made it.  So I'm asking if everyone wants to remove it or keep it since it seems every map editor has kept it so far. 

ctwaterman

Is the Mississippi river the Border between Texas and My Confederation of American States ?????

If so should I have at least some territory in Louisiana and which of us controlls the New Orleans [Norleans in Creole]

Charles
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Darman

Quote from: ctwaterman on June 07, 2011, 09:36:15 PM
Is the Mississippi river the Border between Texas and My Confederation of American States ?????

If so should I have at least some territory in Louisiana and which of us controlls the New Orleans [Norleans in Creole]

Charles

Yes. 

I was wondering the same thing.  I had kept it blank in one version of the map so people could negotiate. 

snip

Quote from: Darman on June 07, 2011, 09:03:04 PM
oh and just so people know, the Eskimo Conspiracy was a joke.... I just wanted more color on the map when I first made it.  So I'm asking if everyone wants to remove it or keep it since it seems every map editor has kept it so far. 

Ummmmm....maybe shrink it down a bit to leave some open land for colonization. Is it intended as a NPC of sorts?
-Siegfried Sassoon

ctwaterman

Yes its likely to be open uncontrolled terrain at the start of the game.

Charles
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Borys

Ahoj!
Quote from: snip on June 07, 2011, 07:08:22 PM
For pure ease of finding things, I am going to use OTL cities with Russian names
I know a little Russian, if you need help.
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Carthaginian

Charles and I are in discussion about me settling in the 'Quebec/Ontario' area.
I've tried to find a convenient river (the Nelson) to serve as a western boundary- following it from Hudson Bay down to lake Winnipeg. Still looking for a convenient landform to form the border between there and the 'nose' of Lake Superior- any ideas?

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r114/Carthaginian/N-verse%204/?action=view&current=Namerica-carth-1.png

EDIT: Would like it to be an Algonkian society and will try to play it as such if acceptable.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

snip

Quote from: ctwaterman on June 08, 2011, 12:38:12 AM
Yes its likely to be open uncontrolled terrain at the start of the game.

Charles

Ok, I can work with that (rubs hands evilly)

Quote from: Borys on June 08, 2011, 12:50:50 AM
Ahoj!
Quote from: snip on June 07, 2011, 07:08:22 PM
I know a little Russian, if you need help.
Borys
I might be calling on your assistance, but Google translate has been working so far.

Quote from: Carthaginian on June 08, 2011, 12:55:08 AM
I've tried to find a convenient river (the Nelson) to serve as a western boundary- following it from Hudson Bay down to lake Winnipeg. Still looking for a convenient landform to form the border between there and the 'nose' of Lake Superior- any ideas?

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r114/Carthaginian/N-verse%204/?action=view&current=Namerica-carth-1.png

EDIT: Would like it to be an Algonkian society and will try to play it as such if acceptable.
YAY!!!!!!! HE IS BACK!!!!! I would be fine with native-based society, as I will be attempting to work natives into mine as much as possible.

-Siegfried Sassoon

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: Carthaginian on June 08, 2011, 12:55:08 AM

How about the Winnipeg River between L. Winnipeg and Lake of the Woods, and then the Rainy River to L. Superior?  The latter's part of the current international border.